SAU Community

How many skylines are left?

10 hours ago, Humbla said:

Howdy,dragging up this old thread. Still have our 93 r33 in her rare color just updated her insurance 30 grand, wow is all I can say, mustn't be many left these days only a couple in my town now. 😃

Still heaps around. Just the owners have changed from people having a go with projects and sending them around a track to people treating them like an investment/status symbol to just be driven every couple of weekends and collect dust in the garage.

No matter how much people value them, I'll keep having fun with Jap crap until I cark it. Also, eff the Americans for ruining the fun.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2017 at 2:42 PM, Birds said:

Here's a simplified version of how I think the the demand and increase in value works and *should* proceed for Skylines in the future. I base this on what I think happened to muscle cars of the 70s about 10 years ago during their massive boom. Granted, they did have a broader appeal to all people than imports do.

So we can agree Skylines were immensely popular at one point, circa late 90s and early-mid 00s; their numbers are now dwindling and they've depreciated about as much as they are going to because we're starting to see turnaround / an increase in value, starting with the GTRs...however the gentrification should bring the lower spec models up with it eventually.

The teenagers of the late 90s and 00s who loved Skylines and bought them, eventually got out of them and moved on to newer and more practical vehicles, raising families etc. The cars became older and problematic too, so they decreased in value as the generation of enthusiasts outgrew them. These enthusiasts who used to work part time jobs to get through uni or graduate positions were the key demographic for this kind of second hand car and represented the buyers market here in Aus, hence the pricing of the vehicles was probably a lot cheaper than it deserved to be, given the quality and performance of the vehicles and compared to local offerings. I argue that you still cannot get a faster or more fun (or better looking, but that's subjective) sports car than a Japanese import for less than $7-8k than the old faithful GTS-T.

Anyway, back then, hardly anyone over 45 with a lot of money could give a shit about owning a Skyline in the late 90s and 00s, it was a young man's sports car and they attracted an image of irresponsible goon, so there were really no affable buyers who wanted to splash out on anything Skyline, save for the boutique models (34 GTR included; these were arguably still a new car, so deserved a high price, but they too eventually fell from grace, with low end models fetching high 30s low 40s before the recent resurgence in pricing).

However! Now those teenagers who outgrew the Skylines have young families and some even have teenagers. When those kids move out of home and they have a mid life crisis + room for toys, opportunity to relive one's youth etc., what cars are they going to turn to? These people include the execs, directors, managers and even CEOs of the next decade or two, and they will have money to fight over the remaining examples of Skylines. There will be a pecking order and it will of course start with the GTRs...but the same thing happened with 70s muscled, where even if SLR5000/A9X were the top pics, a clean LJ Torana is still worth a decent penny on its own.

Popularity + scarcity = sought after rarity = $$$$

The big question for me is...when you get older and still have your Skyline...will you sell your youth for the premium prices or hang on to it and try to relive ;)

Thanks for reminding me of this post @Humbla!!!

It’s good to have been right about this one and kept my cars haha. Now to call my insurance companies and pay a dreadful amount of premium for an appropriate agreed value :(

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, CLEM0 said:

That's what they're going for now, especially tidy ones- what did you pay for it when you got it? Bet it was no where even close to $30k!

I paid 10k for my R33 GTS-T and 12K for my R33 GTR 🤭

3 hours ago, Birds said:

Thanks for reminding me of this post @Humbla!!!

It’s good to have been right about this one and kept my cars haha. Now to call my insurance companies and pay a dreadful amount of premium for an appropriate agreed value :(

My premium went down, first time under a grand a year, one of the few benefits of being ancient. 😃😃

5 hours ago, Humbla said:

My premium went down, first time under a grand a year, one of the few benefits of being ancient. 😃😃

Same same, even after I crashed and killed my 86, the cost for comprehensive on my VX SS went from $850 last year to $650 this year

But, I have used the same insurer for all my cars over the last 10 years 

images.jpeg-8.jpg.c1ed6ce3f384fa28696ff8c6a66a7d0b.jpg

8 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

Is there a way we could broadcast this to the entire world (ie the US)? Just for giggles, understand.

Ehhh...people are buying bitcoins for 70k+ that were once worth mere cents. It’s a trip for me to see P plater hoon mobiles going for blood money, but even that seems predictable and relatively modest compared to some of the asset appreciations going on out there! Crazy times.

There are very few left ! 

That is the rumor I am spreading on all media platforms.

To drive the price up.

As I've still got my Skyline.

So it worth a premium price when I decide to sell for my retirement.

Worked for the Ford 1971 XY GTHO Phase 3 !

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

TradeMe lists about 50 Skylines for sale.

Average asking prices (don't know what they actually sell for) are:

32 $30k 32GTR $100k

33 $28k 33GTR $130K

34 $33K 34GTR (one only) at $275K!

On 23/03/2021 at 9:36 PM, Zoidian said:

Still heaps around. Just the owners have changed from people having a go with projects and sending them around a track to people treating them like an investment/status symbol to just be driven every couple of weekends and collect dust in the garage.

No matter how much people value them, I'll keep having fun with Jap crap until I cark it. Also, eff the Americans for ruining the fun.

I wonder how many Skylines still have there original engines in them

ECR33 1995 owned for 15+ years, still original, well everything when i bought the car,

i'm the 1st australian owner,

i've replaced the clutch and radiator, aftermarket front bar with an original factory plastic bar ( as with everything skyline OEM 6 weeks ex japan and a small fortune in change, worse now with COVID shipping delays) and air con re-gassed 

I bought at $18,000 with 53,000 kms on the clock.

been my daily on and off for most of those years ( when i didn't let the rego slip)

now has 225,000 on the clock , all services done and still going strong.

all in all i think the car owes me about $22,000, all of which has been the pleasure of driving it all of these years, no way would i sell it as i think the only appropriate replacement would be a GTR, and there's no way i'm getting that kind of money for what i've got. 

the was one across the road from me a S2 GTST and a 34 GT around the corner from me, 

there's an unregistered 34 (dunno which model) outside a shop 5 mins down the road and has been ther for the last 3 years to my knowledge, they're around if you look for them, ( i do ) but they're certainly not common. 

On 9/3/2021 at 5:26 PM, Dasmbo said:

I wonder how many Skylines still have there original engines in them

Mine !

1994 GTST with 49000 km on the clock when I bought it and I am the first owner in Aus

And had two before that which were lost to accidents that weren't my fault.

This one owned for around 14 years as well and paid 13.5k for mine.

Has been my daily every single day since I got it.

Now has 462,000 km on the clock and still going strong.

I cant speak more highly of the good engineering that has lasted over time as I have owned a lot of different cars over the years.

He then screams "INCOMING" hits the ground and crawls on his elbows to his dugout to avoid the flaming missiles ! !

• Like 1

Wow, that is an insane amount of kms!  How is the whole car holding up?  does it look ratty as shit or pretty good considering the kms?

I'm going to go so far as to claim that I have done the least amount of kms in my Skyline over the longest period of time of 99% of all Skyline owners!  I bought mine with about with about 90900kms.  9 years later it's sitting on about 91565 or something like that.  All of those kms were done in the first 4 months of ownership and it's been in pieces tucked away in the  shed for the last 8+ years.  That years of being fully under cover, out of the elements has no doubt done it the world of good not being subjected to rust for all that time

Cars fine as I'm fairly fastidious with maintenance on it and over the years I've personalized it to suit exactly my taste both cosmetically and mechanically.

Only "major" issue is that the bonnet and boot clear coat is gone and needs re-doing however the rest of the paint is ok and I'll wait to do the whole car.

All in all I guess what you put in and how you treat it goes a long way.

Over the years I've had a lot of arguments / debates with people as to being told what oil ( don't even start me ), suspension set ups ( leave that alone ), tires ( don't even think about it ) etc etc to run for my car but in the end experience over time and a lot of research, in later years with the information streams available now, have helped out heaps.

• Like 1