SAU Community

R33VSpec vs R34 Vspec diff

No. Firstly the gear ratio is different. You may be able to take the ratios from your 33 diff to fit into the 34 diff.

But there are other complexities with replacing a 33 vspec diff, I'm not sure of the details maybe try a search around. 33 vspec have some whiz bang active diff with lots of bits that make it work....

• Like 1

It's a bloody shame no one has come up with a solution for putting an LSD centre into the A-LSD housing. Surely with Nissans level of interchangeability between models there's something that fits. Someone like Award could possibly come up with a solution. Otherwise there's going to be a shit load of A-LSD's laying around rotting once they've all been swapped out!

1 hour ago, DJBarnstar said:

Thanks Team, Yep it would shag the ratio in the 5 speed. Forgot about that.

I'll just have to go the route of replacing the shafts and putting a non-vspec with a 1.5 in.

Cheers.

I have a 3.54 front diff if you want to try swapping the rears.

So what happened to yours - did it gradually stop locking, or stop all of a sudden? I'm interested in how they go bad. I assume you have bled the hydraulic line that activates it (bleed nipple on top of diff)?

Nice one!!

I must be the only person considering putting an A-LSD into a Skyline. Street car GT four though, I'm currently suffering with a viscous lsd...

Seriously though, they are just a clutch pack LSD, actuated via computer controlled hydraulic pressure. I'm wondering what it is that causes them to go bad. I have read that they don't like too much heat, and over 350kw they would appear problematic, but I'm unlikely to test that limit.

One interesting thing i read, they lock more with increasing lateral g, which seems sensible. However- if you have installed an ATTESA controller, typically these reduce the lateral signal, to get more front drive, but as you can see this would reduce lsd lock at the same time. I'm fascinated by the computer control, so hopefully I'll try it one day! On the lookout for cheap R34 v-spec attesa pro ecu's :)

5 minutes ago, dr phil said:

Nice one!!

I must be the only person considering putting an A-LSD into a Skyline. Street car GT four though, I'm currently suffering with a viscous lsd...

Seriously though, they are just a clutch pack LSD, actuated via computer controlled hydraulic pressure. I'm wondering what it is that causes them to go bad. I have read that they don't like too much heat, and over 350kw they would appear problematic, but I'm unlikely to test that limit.

You make it sound so simple! But a mechanical LSD is even more simple.

If one had a car with the A-LSD it would certainly be worth trying to give it a good service before giving up on it. There is a piece on how to do that at the top of this section...but it seems a little OTT to install one (instead of a mechanical LSD) when there is not one there!

Installing a mech lsd was certainly my first plan, and yes understand it is a lot simpler. But then i read a few posts recently about them being a pain around town, needing to clutch-in around tight corners etc. perhaps i just need to find a loose one.

• 1 year later...
On 1/22/2017 at 11:13 PM, dr phil said:

Installing a mech lsd was certainly my first plan, and yes understand it is a lot simpler. But then i read a few posts recently about them being a pain around town, needing to clutch-in around tight corners etc. perhaps i just need to find a loose one.

Never mind what a few posters say. GTRs come standard with a mechanical LSD and I put one in my Stagea and there was no "putting the clutch in to turn tight corners" nonsense nor was it at all harsh. Some brand new aftermarket LSDs need a little running in but that would be nothing compared to the headache of trying to install a V-spec LSD. oops advice a year late I see:blink:

• Like 2

I have a V Spec R33 and right now I'm trying to sort an Attesa problem and which also is only letting the left rear tire get traction

If you are spinning the rear right tyre too much then it sounds like your A-LSD isnt locking up properly, so try bleeding it on top of the diff for a start. If it’s always biased to one wheel, maybe check if one of the brakes is dragging too. Got any warning lights on the dash?

When i got my GT Four I bled the attessa fluid and it was thick like old engine oil, yuck. Replaced with Transmax Z.