SAU Community

BNR32 Speedo showing exaggerated speed

Jenius

BNR32 Speedo showing exaggerated speed

Having an issue where my Speedo is showing that I'm going a lot faster than I'm actually going. 

For example if I'm doing around 70km/h it will read that I'm doing about 170km/h or sometimes it will read completely off the clock. This issue has been around for a while now where it was initially happening maybe 60% of the time and it is now occurring around 98% of the time. 

I've been having to rely on my PowerFC hand controller ever since....

Checked the Speedo cable at both ends and they appear to be fine and since it is clearly spinning still I'm wondering if there was something up with the actual dash cluster? I'm looking to replace it with another dash cluster for a test but could this issue relate more with the cable itself? 

Thanks!

when your doing 70 and its showing 170 does it sit at 170 or is it bouncing all over the place?

usually when your speedo starts jumping around its the cable as it can not rotate smoothly, it binds then skips forward and makes the needle skip forward. unsure how the speedo cables on these cars are made but previous fix I have done is just give it a good clean out with brake/carb cleaner and then a bit of lube/oil down it. when your manually turn it you may not be able to feel the bind but that doesn't mean its not there.

otherwise just replace it.

Edited by dave123456789

It tends to sit at 170 in this case and occasionally it will bounce around a little. Also the display speeds tend to vary a fair bit. One day it'll show me I'm doing 140 and the next day it will go completely off the clock even though I'm doing the same speeds. 

I think I will look into replacing the cable in this case. It would have also knocked my odometer out with a higher reading too. :-(

Thanks

Edited by Jenius

37 minutes ago, Jenius said:

It tends to sit at 170 in this case and occasionally it will bounce around a little. Also the display speeds tend to vary a fair bit. One day it'll show me I'm doing 140 and the next day it will go completely off the clock even though I'm doing the same speeds.

I think I will look into replacing the cable in this case. It would have also knocked my odometer out with a higher reading too. :-(

Thanks

if you have a spare cluster to test there would be no harm in giving that a go. in my experience though its usually the cable for speedo errors as they don't last forever.

unless you have had the cluster in and out heaps and possibly damaged something there but I doubt it.

does sound a bit weird it reads so much higher and fairly consistent and stable with its readings though. never had that before.

edit: forgot to ask, when it sticks at 170/140 or whatever, have you previously reached that speed, slowed down at the needle has stuck?

Edited by dave123456789

2 hours ago, dave123456789 said:

if you have a spare cluster to test there would be no harm in giving that a go. in my experience though its usually the cable for speedo errors as they don't last forever.

unless you have had the cluster in and out heaps and possibly damaged something there but I doubt it.

does sound a bit weird it reads so much higher and fairly consistent and stable with its readings though. never had that before.

edit: forgot to ask, when it sticks at 170/140 or whatever, have you previously reached that speed, slowed down at the needle has stuck?

Won't be too hard to for me to find a spare cluster somewhere to test in this case. 

Have reached that speed a few times :10_wink: but I don't think its been the case of it getting stuck there. It's like the gauge is super sensitive so whenever I'm starting from 0-60km/h it jumps up really quickly from 0-170km/h.. 

8 minutes ago, Duncan said:

Also...is it the only gauge playing up? there could be some sort of earth problem

Yes it is only the speedo bit, everything else is working fine on my dash. I'm assuming the speedo is a traditional one just reading off the cable without any special stepping motor electronics in there? 

Edited by Jenius

Update so far is that I pulled out the cluster this morning and decided to test the sensitivity of the speedo using a small screwdriver and found it was already jumping up to read around 70km/h with just a few light turns. Is this normal?