SAU Community

Pre-purchase jitters

Pre-purchase jitters

Evening,

l need some advice from R32 owners. I've found a very clean original 93 GTR and have placed a small deposit. The car looks very straight, interior is immaculate and original, body is straight, motor looks original and clean, original tyres,basically the car looks legit for 30,000kms. Still has the rubber over the catch for the locks etc. On the hoist, chassis rails are straight underbody looks fine, the only drama l have is the wheel wells have the slightest amount of rust surfacing through the underbody sealer, is this normal  for Japan roads and is nissans body deadner crap in this area. The stock exhaust heat shields show rust as well but this is easily fixed!

i have a history check in progress as we speak with the auction sheets due back tomorrow, the kms have come back legit, with large gaps in the registration 5 years+.

if I'm allowed I can put up the link up for the car, for others to judge? The price is a premium but I'm happy to pay if all is correct?

I think the car is what it suppose to be.........

If you are looking for 100% originality there are a few minor things that could altered to enhance the car.

Personally I hate the side blinkers in the front guards. I know that it is an ADR but quite a few importers and now conveniently forgetting to fit them. They should be fitted in line with the GT badge. It just looks crooked when they are misaligned.

The positive terminal should have a red protective cap, I paid about $8 for my last one.

The battery should have a plastic box surround.... Around $40.00.

The rear muffler whilst looking very close to original, is an aftermarket variant.

The bodykit is a bit disjointed, it has the N1 front bonnet extension but no nostrils in the front bar.

It has the 3 piece side skirts but no rear N1 boot extension under the spoiler.

Personally I'd remove the fitted pieces and have it present perfectly stock.

The footrest has some aftermarket metal add on.

So........ With all that said, from memory, this car was a 4.5/B Grade car when it went to auction in Japan.

Cars like this are fetching around 3.5 - 4.0 million yen in Japan. That equates to about A$59,000 in today's money landed, complied and registered.

If you want the car as a long term collectable then yes it's certainly worth the money. If you want to use it as a daily then forget about it.

Providing it hasn't been painted and all the documentation including the Japanese log book and owners manual is present then yes finding another car like this is difficult.
I own a sister car to this also white with 74,000 kms also a 4.5/B. I've invested a fair bit of time and effort into mine and it certainly is rewarding owning these time capsule cars.

BTW the original Bridgestone RE71 tyres is a nice touch....... Useless to drive on but sensational for a collector. If you buy the car, I'd be happy to buy you brand new tyres in lieu of the RE71's! Good luck, I'm sure it's a great car.

Bob.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, R33gtst2016 said:

Sounds like a great car something you would really wanna hang onto. Just curious to know how you found the history on it considering the age of the vehicle.

There is a website and has been discussed in the importing section of this forum 

Google

japanesehistorycheck

6 hours ago, Aussie_Delivered_R32_GTR said:

I think the car is what it suppose to be.........

If you are looking for 100% originality there are a few minor things that could altered to enhance the car.

Personally I hate the side blinkers in the front guards. I know that it is an ADR but quite a few importers and now conveniently forgetting to fit them. They should be fitted in line with the GT badge. It just looks crooked when they are misaligned.

The positive terminal should have a red protective cap, I paid about $8 for my last one.

The battery should have a plastic box surround.... Around $40.00.

The rear muffler whilst looking very close to original, is an aftermarket variant.

The bodykit is a bit disjointed, it has the N1 front bonnet extension but no nostrils in the front bar.

It has the 3 piece side skirts but no rear N1 boot extension under the spoiler.

Personally I'd remove the fitted pieces and have it present perfectly stock.

The footrest has some aftermarket metal add on.

So........ With all that said, from memory, this car was a 4.5/B Grade car when it went to auction in Japan.

Cars like this are fetching around 3.5 - 4.0 million yen in Japan. That equates to about A$59,000 in today's money landed, complied and registered.

If you want the car as a long term collectable then yes it's certainly worth the money. If you want to use it as a daily then forget about it.

Providing it hasn't been painted and all the documentation including the Japanese log book and owners manual is present then yes finding another car like this is difficult.
I own a sister car to this also white with 74,000 kms also a 4.5/B. I've invested a fair bit of time and effort into mine and it certainly is rewarding owning these time capsule cars.

BTW the original Bridgestone RE71 tyres is a nice touch....... Useless to drive on but sensational for a collector. If you buy the car, I'd be happy to buy you brand new tyres in lieu of the RE71's! Good luck, I'm sure it's a great car.

Bob.

Appreciate it Bob, silly question to correct these items, can l get actual OEM Nissan part numbers from somewhere, is there a parts catalogue available or similar? Can you comment on my concerns of the underbody showing minor rust/ scaling in the wheel wells, is this a common thing for imports?

thanks again

You can find the parts here - http://jp-carparts.com/nissan/figlist.php?maker=nissan&type=79&cartype=51

Then type the part number into here - https://www.amayama.com/en

This will give you an idea of price but many parts are getting discontinued daily. There are also many suppliers you can pick from.

This amongst other reasons are pushing up the prices on clean original ones.

Minor rust or surface rust just needs to be dealt with but major rust can be a financial money pit.

I'm not an expert on this type of thing, my only thoughts are to get a PPI (Pre-Purchase Inspection) done on the car by someone who is trained in this area.

Maybe speak to a local panel shop and offer them $100 for a good look at the car. Should buy you a good hour.

On face value, the car looks pretty good so I'd be surprised if there was anything serious to be concerned with.

To be honest, I remember seeing this car when it first came up for sale. They had a silver one a friend was interested in and this one just arrived.

I remember thinking it was pretty neat but they wanted $65K at that stage. The A$ Aussie dollar has strengthened a fair bit over the last 6-8 months since they got it hence the reduction in price.

Let us know how you get on.

Bob.

2 hours ago, Aussie_Delivered_R32_GTR said:

You can find the parts here - http://jp-carparts.com/nissan/figlist.php?maker=nissan&type=79&cartype=51

Then type the part number into here - https://www.amayama.com/en

This will give you an idea of price but many parts are getting discontinued daily. There are also many suppliers you can pick from.

This amongst other reasons are pushing up the prices on clean original ones.

Minor rust or surface rust just needs to be dealt with but major rust can be a financial money pit.

I'm not an expert on this type of thing, my only thoughts are to get a PPI (Pre-Purchase Inspection) done on the car by someone who is trained in this area.

Maybe speak to a local panel shop and offer them $100 for a good look at the car. Should buy you a good hour.

On face value, the car looks pretty good so I'd be surprised if there was anything serious to be concerned with.

To be honest, I remember seeing this car when it first came up for sale. They had a silver one a friend was interested in and this one just arrived.

I remember thinking it was pretty neat but they wanted $65K at that stage. The A$ Aussie dollar has strengthened a fair bit over the last 6-8 months since they got it hence the reduction in price.

Let us know how you get on.

Bob.

Thanks for the advice Bob. On a positive note the dealer has been very accommodating and l can only speak highly of them, there is a large document/ receipt file with car and they had no concerns putting the car on the hoist in there shop. I would recommend them as a shop to visit.

27 minutes ago, dyl33 said:

Do you get to bring your own expert mechanic or do they supply that too?

The dealer has no problem with an independent inspection ( you obviously arrange). I'm not troubled by the quality, mechanicals or questioning the km's. The condition speaks for itself, my question is the sight of scale/ rust in the wheel wells, is this a normal thing for a 23 year old jap import ? The scale is slight pitting through the body deadner.

Edited by Sarahmorg

• 1 month later...

That same dealer has quite a few cars with very low kms & very clean.

I was looking at at an R32 GTST4 with only 43,000kms ($23,000) and they could produce a Japanese import paper to prove kms.
Think the dealer is interested in high end cars looking at their prices. Id consider buying a GTR from them if I had the $$.

IMG_1489485798.669809.jpg