SAU Community

Looking to Buy R32 GTR Need advice

Looking to Buy R32 GTR Need advice

so I have been in the market for a R32 GTR for the past few months now and and still undecided on what to do.

would it be better to buy a gtr that is in need of some work and fairly stock for $20k, or buy one with new paint, built motor, 300kw at wheels etc for 35k?

doing rust repair and gettting a new paint job wont cost me much a am close friends with someone in the trade.

how much would it cost roughly to get 300kw at the wheels? 10k?

thanks a lot in advance for your replies

needs work in one area usually means needs work in maaaaaaany areas. 

$30k on a vg condition "lightly modified" car and then spend money on basic go fast bits, ecu fuel system turbo ect.

Want advice when looking to buy an R32 GTR?!

Best piece of advice I heard many years ago was:

'If you can't afford to buy two of the R32 GTR's you want, then don't buy one!'

So very true...but do I regret buying one? Not for a second...

23 minutes ago, mr_rbman said:

Want advice when looking to buy an R32 GTR?!

Best piece of advice I heard many years ago was:

Is this true? I always thought it was what some owners say too 'Blow their own horn'.

i bought mine and promptly needed to spend maby 5k on random stuff. heater hoses, brakes, tires, this that something else, and nothing really gone wrong with mine.

i budget for either an engine rebuild along with new things like turbos and supporting mods ect as the engine will be out anyway.

or a gearbox rebuild + rear subframe out including diffs suspension bushes swaybars ect because again your half way their, 

either way have $10-15k up your sleeve or available for when it does happen... not if....when.

their almost 30year old highly strung sports cars which were always bought as sports cars, their not gonna be cheep.

Can confirm, my car is already racking up bills like the turbo runs on $100 bills. It's not like it even goes anywhere!!!

Still, it's sweet to know it's mine. If it were me, and I were new to GTRs (which I was/am) go for the better quality one.

16 hours ago, dyl33 said:

Is this true? I always thought it was what some owners say too 'Blow their own horn'.

Perhaps a slight exaggeration especially in todays market where a typical example fetches mid 30's...but as Glyn has pointed out they are nearing 30 years in age and were basically a supercar when released, they weren't bought just to putt back and forth to the shops typically ;)

Basically what I was getting at is if you're scraping together every last cent to buy one then it's probably not the car for you, you need to prepare for the inevitable maintenance issues at a minimum (heater hoses etc...) then you get hit with the 'GTR' tax on most things you buy...

7 hours ago, mr_rbman said:

Perhaps a slight exaggeration especially in todays market where a typical example fetches mid 30's...but as Glyn has pointed out they are nearing 30 years in age and were basically a supercar when released, they weren't bought just to putt back and forth to the shops typically ;)

Basically what I was getting at is if you're scraping together every last cent to buy one then it's probably not the car for you, you need to prepare for the inevitable maintenance issues at a minimum (heater hoses etc...) then you get hit with the 'GTR' tax on most things you buy...

i can  afford a 35k gtr no worries just unsure what the smarter option is

Haven't seen an r32 gtr at 20k domestically that doesn't need a load of work. One atm on some facebook forums at 27k with a non original motor (r33 motor and looks rough), needs a full respray and there arent even photos of the interior either. Im sure 35k will get you one with minimal work (although theres always something not perfect, depends on what you are looking for).

17 hours ago, darkparagon said:

Well why do you want an R32 GTR?

I think if you can answer that then you will answer your own question.

If you just want one as it appears as though it's what everyone else wants or to just say you've had one then it's probably not the 'smarter' option.

But if you want one as it's the car you've always wanted and you're not planning to ever sell (or anytime soon) then I would deem it to be a 'smart' option.

Whatever you decide just be prepared to spend more money, the cleanest examples will still inevitably need money spending, don't buy one thinking you won't have to spend money on her. They're like a woman, even if you don't 'need' to spend money you will find yourself 'wanting' to spend money on her.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mr_rbman said:

Whatever you decide just be prepared to spend more money, the cleanest examples will still inevitably need money spending, don't buy one thinking you won't have to spend money on her. They're like a woman, even if you don't 'need' to spend money you will find yourself 'wanting' to spend money on her.

Haha well put. I've been lucky with mine, only minor issues (coilpacks, AFMs) but the engine is standard. Spent a little bit of money on suspension and brakes, so it's a "budget" ownership for me. Unfortunately, if I checked the underside I wouldn't have bought it. Double edged sword.

I wonder how long before some of the "new" owners get over the "trend" and prices start coming down?

6 minutes ago, niZmO_Man said:

Haha well put. I've been lucky with mine, only minor issues (coilpacks, AFMs) but the engine is standard. Spent a little bit of money on suspension and brakes, so it's a "budget" ownership for me. Unfortunately, if I checked the underside I wouldn't have bought it. Double edged sword.

I wonder how long before some of the "new" owners get over the "trend" and prices start coming down?

In all honesty I can't ever see them coming down, maybe stagnate but never go back down....It comes back to supply and demand.

There are far fewer cleaner examples these days and even less of the immaculate ones......and with the yanks now grabbing them this has been exacerbated.

This being the main reason I bought my SIL80 and my GTR will go from being a weekend warrior and hillclimb car to just a special occasion/weekend warrior...

Edited by mr_rbman

Buying a built/better condition car is much more sensible if you plan  on modifying down the track, however you might have to wait awhile. I looked at R32 GTRs/Evos etc for nearly 2 years and didn't find one suitable but you might be less fussy than I am.

My advice would be to wait, you'll end up spending much less in the long run if you modify. I'd also recommend to anyone who is looking at a R32 GTR to consider a Supra, better driveline than a R34 GTR with lower prices than a R32 (slightly).