SAU Community

R32 from thailand

Siam GTR

R32 from thailand

Hi everyone,

I'm Liam originally from Perth but now in Phuket Thailand, just bought my dream car after years of searching for one in good nick, 1992 r32 GTR all original apart from 5zigen exhaust, and plan to keep it unmodified, just love the way it drives with no mods.

I drove it from Bangkok to my home in Phuket, everything was sweet apart from a minor misfire on boost, I was just going to clean up the coil packs, but figured a 25 odd year old car, wouldn't hurt putting new coils, plugs, and harness in, so I'm currently ordering the parts.

I also noticed the coolant starts boiling after shutting it down, so going to flush the cooling system and bleed it properly.

apart from them, it's an absolutely awesome car!

IMG_8302.JPG

• Like 2

Nice! Wouldn't see many of those around on the road from Bangkok to Phuket I'm guessing?

10 minutes ago, Siam GTR said:

I also noticed the coolant starts boiling after shutting it down, so going to flush the cooling system and bleed it properly.

Fingers crossed it's just air in the system. I had the same last year, diagnosed as a blown head gasket, replaced at a great cost. Then a last month the same symptoms again and the bottom end went, now looking for a replacement engine...

Yeah, and it's crazy the amount of attention it gets from tourists from countries without skylines!

once I'm back home I'll check over the cooling system, the only 2 faults are the ones I didn't notice before purchasing it, either way, I would have bought it due to how rare they are in Thailand.

looks lovley,

....a missfire on boost and boiling coolant raises a few red flags, i would suspect the head. just get it looked at before driving allot. are you on your own with mechanical stuff? are their any capable workshops?

Edited by GH05T

thanks, it's a beautiful car.

personally I believe it's 2 unrelated problems, I also just realised I tested out the heater on the drive back after the a/c heater controller was replaced, heaters never get used in Thailand, so I am pretty sure it's an air pocket.

there is no specialty workshops that I am aware of in Phuket, good thing I'm a mechanic ;-)

• 1 month later...

Coils, spark plugs, and new harness has fixed the misfire, new radiator cap has stopped the coolant from boiling.

doesnt miss a beat now!

had a closer look around the car, it has a mine's ecu, hks intercooler piping, Cusco master cylinder stopper, adjustable coilovers, original boost restrictor is in place.

these parts all seem to be early 90's period parts, e.g. The hks pipes are bulky cast aluminium rather than the more modern pressed aluminium piping.

Anyone know how the front number plate is meant to be mounted? Is it meant to have a bracket?

i put new plates on and found the old plates were secured with 3M double sided tape.