SAU Community

RB26 Oil return question

GarettH

RB26 Oil return question

Hey guys, Ive read the oiling thread and still have a few questions as I havent be able to find many pictures. I have already had my cylinder head oil returns drilled, tomei oil pump, tomei oil restricter, tomei extended and baffled sump. All i have left is my catch can setup.

I've seen the diagrams but not many pictures of people actually running it with both valve covers vented and the 2x sump vent connections. So id like to see pictures of how you guys routed the lines. Since I dont want lines running right across my valve covers. So where do you guys place your catch can?

My ABS is deleted so I'd like to put my catch can there as i can run 2x -10 straight from my valve covers to the catch can. Ive read a few opinions but has anyone welded the 2 AN fittings on the exhaust side of the sump rather then intake side? That way i wouldnt have to run 2x -10an lines completely around my engine?

When the sump has been vented is it still recommened to do the rear head oil drain and baffled cam covers? Thanks

What size Tomei oil restrictor? I've only seen 1.5 which are a bit big.

Its hard to see how you can run lines from your cam covers without crossing them.

I wouldn't recommend putting your catch can above the exhaust. And you don't want to put the sump fittings on the exhaust side or use a rear head drain.

Read the oil control thread again.

Baffled cam covers can't do any harm.

Have you drilled the block oil returns to 10mm? Have you enlarged the rear right hand block return passage and chamfered the edges on the return passages? Ill be venting my new engine from oil cap to sump but i have large clearancea for a gas shot in the future. If you are planning on caning the crap out of it i suggest it. And re read the oil control thread 

7 hours ago, 33GTRV said:

Have you drilled the block oil returns to 10mm? Have you enlarged the rear right hand block return passage and chamfered the edges on the return passages? Ill be venting my new engine from oil cap to sump but i have large clearancea for a gas shot in the future. If you are planning on caning the crap out of it i suggest it. And re read the oil control thread 

I have not done them personally buy my engine builder said he did all that. I mainly wanted to see where people mounted there catch cans to run 2 lines to cam covers + sump. And I know a rear drain on the head is useless if you don't vent the sump as the crank pressure won't allow it to drain back. But thought if its vented through catch can it might work.

6 hours ago, GarettH said:

I have not done them personally buy my engine builder said he did all that. I mainly wanted to see where people mounted there catch cans to run 2 lines to cam covers + sump. And I know a rear drain on the head is useless if you don't vent the sump as the crank pressure won't allow it to drain back. But thought if its vented through catch can it might work.

If you have read the oil control thread you haven't understood it. Read it again (just the last half if you like).

The rear head "drain" is useless under any circumstances. If you Google you will find dozens of pics of engines with catch cans. I ran a hose from one cover to a "T" on the other and then one to the catch can (plus 2 sump breathers).