SAU Community

R33 GTR from Alaska

Tzuteng

R33 GTR from Alaska

New member here. Been lurking the forums for some time researching about a lot of stuff regarding the rb26 platform and the BCNR33 chassis. Currently stationed in Alaska. I have an r33 gtr on the way from Washington. It's damn difficult to get a skyline here in the US, so when I was presented the opportunity I jumped on it without thinking it twice.

Anyways, happy to be part of the forum.

• Like 2

On 2/11/2017 at 5:01 PM, squareznboxez said:

Welcome mate, post up the specs, mods and pics when you have a chance.

Wealth of info on BCNR33's on this forum as they are a great value buy in Aus.

Will do. Its completely stock for except an HKS exhaust and some bbs rims. The car has less than 55k kms.

4 hours ago, niZmO_Man said:

Nismo meter...
Also the engine bay looks like it experienced something... messy.

Seats and body look good though!

Messy as in dirty? And what about the Nismo meter? You say it like its something bad.

Edit: I thought those came from stock. Just googled r33 gtr cluster and noticed the difference.

Edited by Tzuteng

Ya Nismo meter means swap, so kms will be lower than actual (unless dealer fitted, which would be awesome).

Engine bay does look dirty, almost like a radiator hose split (and wasn't cleaned up properly). But of course could be just dirt. Random coloured coilpack and timing gears cover too. I know I'm nit picking, but people should be wary of things like low km before trying to extract more performance out of them (instead of modding a "low km" dodgy import, breaking something, then declaring imports as shit).

I'd always sus out the low mileage on imports, but hey, if the rest of the car is fine, then it's a good buy ;) . Great effort on getting one though, I heard they are super hard to attain over there. You shouldn't have electrical issues like the R32 can have :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, niZmO_Man said:

Ya Nismo meter means swap, so kms will be lower than actual (unless dealer fitted, which would be awesome).

Engine bay does look dirty, almost like a radiator hose split (and wasn't cleaned up properly). But of course could be just dirt. Random coloured coilpack and timing gears cover too. I know I'm nit picking, but people should be wary of things like low km before trying to extract more performance out of them (instead of modding a "low km" dodgy import, breaking something, then declaring imports as shit).

I'd always sus out the low mileage on imports, but hey, if the rest of the car is fine, then it's a good buy ;) . Great effort on getting one though, I heard they are super hard to attain over there. You shouldn't have electrical issues like the R32 can have :)

Thanks for the info. Make sense now. Yeah they are very hard to find, especially without too many mods which I am very picky about. The previous owner brought it from Japan when he was stationed there. The first thing I am going to do is compression test and inspection of everything in the motor. I know the water pump, timing belt and intake/exhaust and valve cover gaskets were replaced with OEM Nissan parts. Not planning power modding for the moment.

Is there a way to confirm actual vehicle mileage?

I am open for advice so keep em coming.

Try this:

http://www.japanesehistorycheck.com/

They should give a run down of the auction sheet (if they can get the history of your car).

But I tend to ignore kms (unless the car has properly filled log books, then I know its service history) and assume the car will need a major service. Condition of body, mechanical, electrical, etc components. is more important than the odo numbers to me.

It sounds like the car was well looked after, so you shouldn't have any major issues :thumbsup:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, niZmO_Man said:

Try this:

http://www.japanesehistorycheck.com/

They should give a run down of the auction sheet (if they can get the history of your car).

But I tend to ignore kms (unless the car has properly filled log books, then I know its service history) and assume the car will need a major service. Condition of body, mechanical, electrical, etc components. is more important than the odo numbers to me.

It sounds like the car was well looked after, so you shouldn't have any major issues :thumbsup:

Ran two reports on the vehicle and have on hand auction sheets and reports regarding the vehicle. After researching I found out that the cluster was indeed replaced. The auction sheets use symbols like $ and #  and explanation to indicate the discrepancy on the mileage. For example, in my case there was a discrepancy on the mileage so beside it in the report it had a $, which means the odometer was replaced legitimately. I, however, have more luck understanding a martian than what it says in the report. If anyone can translate these japanese reports I will really appreciate it.

Also, thanks for the info and the heads up Nizmo Man.