SAU Community

R34 steering rack

Anybody know if there is a difference in an automatic steering rack and a manual one on the r34??

i have a plug on my alternator loom for the steering rack but I have no sensor on the rack for it to plug into, thinking i may have an auto steering rack?? My car is a factory manual

first photo is my rack, and second photo is one of the net

IMG_4474.JPG

IMG_4472.JPG

The plug should go on the hard line before it enters the rack, not on the rack itself, trace from the high pressure line and you should be able to find it, I think it's near the oil filter area

My r34 steering rack definitely didn't have any sensor or valve and it's a manual

1 minute ago, chiksluvit said:

The plug should go on the hard line before it enters the rack, not on the rack itself, trace from the high pressure line and you should be able to find it, I think it's near the oil filter area

My r34 steering rack definitely didn't have any sensor or valve and it's a manual

Okay well I've looked at a whole heap of photos, manuals, turbo and na, and some have the plug and some don't, so I'm assuming it's been changed over the years or something, thank heaps for the reply 

I Did tell you about this in your other thread.

Does your steering feel heavy when driving around parking lots? The plug on the rack is for the power assist solenoid. It controls how much assistance the power steering gives, Lots at low speed and not much/none at higher speeds

The switch on the pressure line is for idle. When you steer it bumps up the idle, especially important when the air con and alternator are working

3 hours ago, chiksluvit said:

Sorry my bad
Had a look at my car last night and there IS a brown plug on the rack
IMG_1486940405.672147.jpg

Can't really see the plug but you can see the harness coming out of the rack

There is another plug on the high pressure line tho, might be that?

Yeah see mine doesn't have that harness Coming of the rack, it's for the idle control when steering, but I don't know why some racks have them and some don't 

2 hours ago, 89CAL said:

I Did tell you about this in your other thread.

Does your steering feel heavy when driving around parking lots? The plug on the rack is for the power assist solenoid. It controls how much assistance the power steering gives, Lots at low speed and not much/none at higher speeds

The switch on the pressure line is for idle. When you steer it bumps up the idle, especially important when the air con and alternator are working

Yes and that helped me mate thanks!

The plug is for the idle control but I've looked at different photos of different racks and some have the plug and some don't, my rack hasn't got it but my loom does because I changed it

Interestingly there is a mechanical valve that comes off the PS pump on the banjo that controls the idle. I've taken that off and blocked it when I changed my pressure line, just raised the idle a little

My guess is the one on the rack is could be for variable steering assist? Could be a HICAS model vs non HICAS model difference?

These r34s are a bit more complex than r33 I found...

1 minute ago, chiksluvit said:

Interestingly there is a mechanical valve that comes off the PS pump on the banjo that controls the idle. I've taken that off and blocked it when I changed my pressure line, just raised the idle a little

My guess is the one on the rack is could be for variable steering assist? Could be a HICAS model vs non HICAS model difference?

These r34s are a bit more complex than r33 I found...

I thought it could of been for hicas models too but I'm pretty sure hicas only affects the rear steering racks