SAU Community

Vinyl wrapping

Duncan

Yeah the green turd was wrapped. 

NJD customs did mine. Was happy with it. Cost was part of sponsorship so not a true reflection of what is usually charged. Shoot me a message if you want me to find out more. Also car has be with him for around a week depending on car. 

• Like 1

i have my bonnet done for the last 8 years still in great condition , use 3m products . find out the cost of materials as you can save a few hundred buying from o/s. once you know what you wan't if you are interested i can give you a number for someone but he can be really flat out some months.

• 1 month later...
On 14/02/2017 at 7:57 PM, Duncan said:

Vinyl wrapping

Has anyone had their car wrapped? Were you happy with the job? what did it cost? how did it last?

My cima is the wrong colour but I don't think painting it is the way to go....

Not sure if you are still looking but send my mate David a message.

https://www.facebook.com/GeeCeeCustoms/

Thanks for the extra option. Actually i haven't got this sorted yet and want to move it along, but since I'm not on facebook and no wrap companies exist outside facebook it looks like check-mate!

If anyone knows a reputable wrapper who owns a phone I'd be happy to give them a go....

• Like 1

@Duncan

Short term, I like vynil wrapping, but long term it doesn't last from what I've seen especially if the car is not going to be garaged or out of the sun a lot of the time.

My sisters car is professionally wrapped in her business stuff (Multiple colours etc), it's about 4 years old now and severely starting to fade. She's going to get it pulled off and redone as it's a major advertising item for her.

A mate also had a car that was wrapped professionally in matte black just before he bought it, 3 years on and he's pulling it off as it has gone off in the sun and started to blister. I'm not a huge fan of matte black most of the time, but after seeing it in the sun over the few years it went REALLY disgusting. Not a fan.

I guess it really depends on how long the Cima will be around for, and how much you despise the colour, and if you care if you need to rewrap in another 4 or so years.

Both cars I've mentioned above were unable to be garaged, both were street parked for their life, and I DO feel that the sun played a MASSIVE part in it.

Thanks Brett, I got in contact with those guys AND they responded. happy days.

Matt thanks for the feedback, that's exactly the sort of info I was looking for. Do you know what brand of vinyl was used in either/both? With the race car there has been a massive difference between the good quality stuff (avery) and ebay special stuff. The cheap stuff has gone bad in less than a year while I've had avery vinyl on there for 7 years which is still OK. I understand 3m is the stuff to go for in wraps.

I put about 50,000klm a year on the cima so 4 years life would be a good outcome, it will be about half a million klm by then. And it's going to be living outdoors for a couple of years while we build again for sure

• Like 1

srs though, a friend of mine got his car wrapped a week ago and it doesnt look like vinyl at all. real VIP too. He hasnt revealed details because its being unveiled at an event in NZ this weekend. But im interested to know the brand of wrap

qz3uowdn.3o4.jpg

3 hours ago, Duncan said:

Matt thanks for the feedback, that's exactly the sort of info I was looking for. Do you know what brand of vinyl was used in either/both? With the race car there has been a massive difference between the good quality stuff (avery) and ebay special stuff. The cheap stuff has gone bad in less than a year while I've had avery vinyl on there for 7 years which is still OK. I understand 3m is the stuff to go for in wraps.

I put about 50,000klm a year on the cima so 4 years life would be a good outcome, it will be about half a million klm by then. And it's going to be living outdoors for a couple of years while we build again for sure

Not sure at all on the brand of the Vynil on the matte black, I'll ask the question though if they know the exact brand for the one on my sisters car.

I know the stuff on my sisters car was not cheap at all.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2017 at 9:22 AM, Duncan said:

HEy Duncan,

How much would it cost to do the wrap? Im thinking of wrapping the ol girl as well... Calsonic blue? lol

well that was an interesting exercise, this is what I learned:

some businesses only deal with people who have facebook accounts

some wrap businesses don't respond to sales inquiries

2 that did both quoted over $6k to wrap the car. Both took more than 2 weeks to respond.

So in summary, the cima is staying black :)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Duncan said:

well that was an interesting exercise, this is what I learned:

some businesses only deal with people who have facebook accounts

some wrap businesses don't respond to sales inquiries

2 that did both quoted over $6k to wrap the car. Both took more than 2 weeks to respond.

So in summary, the cima is staying black

No instagram = no like = no business