SAU Community

Gtr digital G-sensors

SiR_RB

Gtr digital G-sensors

I'm looking at upgrading my g sensor for a new digital g sensor

has anyone used the midori/do-luck/Tarzan digital g sensors ?

what do you think of them ? Worth while upgrade ? Are they Realy much of an improvement over the stock analoge sensors ?

feedback would be much appreciated before I make a purchase 

ps. What's the difference between the normal street version and race model ?

My Stagea runs a digital G sensor, with much the same Attessa setup. Is that the sensor they use? Or are we talking aftermarket programmable?

he's referring to aftermarket/ programmable pre-set ones.

I'm also interested in this. I'm hoping to buy one of the Do-luck programmable ones later in the year. Even in "standard" mode I've got a feeling it will be an improvement over my 32R's 26 year old one (which is just a spring in some oil).

OK I have a bit of history with aftermarket G Sensors since busting my analog one a few years ago.

It's roughly broken up like this:

Midori/ Do-Luck G Sensor - Standard Digital G Sensor. Has no additional programming, is a straight replacement for the OG sensor except with the obvious advantage of being digital

Tarzan G-Sensor - essentially the same piece of equipment as above however Tarzan Yamada (apparently) has tuned it to be more aggressive on the road/track. Grips harder in corners etc.

Do-Luck DTM II - Do-Luck's latest (I think) G Sensor. Similar to the above, however it is adjustable from standard to using the Tarzan settings, and also a new mode called ARX or something that also uses throttle input to adjust the 4wd. The above three are all plug n play, however they rely on the Attessa computer for control over transfer case

Full-Race ETS Pro - full attessa replacement and g sensor, controls transfer case directly (attessa still required for ABS). fully programmable, has adjustable dial and can even tune g sensor to certain tracks/cornering. Not plug n play, requires some wiring skills

I had a DTMII in my car and it worked well. I used the Tarzan settings until I attempted to wire in the throttle position and blew it up. It is now a $900 paperweight.

I have since replaced it with a ETS Pro however I am yet to test it. However, your 4WD is only ever as good as your transfer case. You could have the fastest and fanciest g sensor in the world but if your transfer case is rubbish you won't notice the difference.

If your G sensor isn't busted put the money towards a transfer case rebuild.

Also, make sure you don't buy a Do-Luck sensor thinking it is a Tarzan. Almost done that a few times now.

Hope this helps!

Nice one.

Very useful info. Think I'll get one of the Do Luck DTMII's.

Btw - Racepace modified my transfer case awhile ago. Also did something else to the 4wd - was a while ago. They also warned me about lots of on/off hard use (motorkhanas etc) - puts too much stress on the stock front diff and we know what that's attached to....

OK I have a bit of history with aftermarket G Sensors since busting my analog one a few years ago.
It's roughly broken up like this:
Midori/ Do-Luck G Sensor - Standard Digital G Sensor. Has no additional programming, is a straight replacement for the OG sensor except with the obvious advantage of being digital
Tarzan G-Sensor - essentially the same piece of equipment as above however Tarzan Yamada (apparently) has tuned it to be more aggressive on the road/track. Grips harder in corners etc.
Do-Luck DTM II - Do-Luck's latest (I think) G Sensor. Similar to the above, however it is adjustable from standard to using the Tarzan settings, and also a new mode called ARX or something that also uses throttle input to adjust the 4wd. The above three are all plug n play, however they rely on the Attessa computer for control over transfer case
Full-Race ETS Pro - full attessa replacement and g sensor, controls transfer case directly (attessa still required for ABS). fully programmable, has adjustable dial and can even tune g sensor to certain tracks/cornering. Not plug n play, requires some wiring skills
I had a DTMII in my car and it worked well. I used the Tarzan settings until I attempted to wire in the throttle position and blew it up. It is now a $900 paperweight.
I have since replaced it with a ETS Pro however I am yet to test it. However, your 4WD is only ever as good as your transfer case. You could have the fastest and fanciest g sensor in the world but if your transfer case is rubbish you won't notice the difference.
If your G sensor isn't busted put the money towards a transfer case rebuild.
Also, make sure you don't buy a Do-Luck sensor thinking it is a Tarzan. Almost done that a few times now.
Hope this helps!

Good write up thanks for the info

also midori has a race spec version which is more aggressive then the normal midori one

so if your transfer case if in perfect working order these would be a worthwhile upgrade...more so if your current g sensor is stuffed, may aswell upgrade to a digital version over another old stock one

24 minutes ago, SiR_RB said:

so if your transfer case if in perfect working order these would be a worthwhile upgrade...more so if your current g sensor is stuffed, may aswell upgrade to a digital version over another old stock one

the transfer case mod, by itself makes a massive difference just by itself. Changed the way my 32R behaved. (no more back flicking out on hard acceleration and way more front drive out of corners. Highly recommended.

• Like 1

Sounds like you're good to go then! DTMII is a great option, very happy with mine when it was working. Decided to opt for the ETS Pro though as I didn't want to depend on the aging ATTESSA cpu and I'm going to be getting rid of ABS one of these days so it just made sense.

I'm actually really looking forward to my next outing as I'll have the ETS Pro running and a freshly rebuilt transfer case. Should be fun :devil:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RBN1 said:

the transfer case mod, by itself makes a massive difference just by itself. Changed the way my 32R behaved. (no more back flicking out on hard acceleration and way more front drive out of corners. Highly recommended.

Now just add an aftermarket front diff and piss off that open junk! 

• Like 1

As the brain trust is already in this thread I'd like to ask

I have a new Getrag 6speed with new transfer case and a quaife front diff going in my R32 GTR (which already has a Tarzan G sensor)

In your opinions is there any real gain doing the transfer case mod (additional clutch packs)?

(rear diff very recently rebuilt by Award)

Edited by Sinista32
update

1 hour ago, Sinista32 said:

As the brain trust is already in this thread I'd like to ask

I have a new Getrag 6speed with new transfer case and a quaife front diff going in my R32 GTR (which already has a Tarzan G sensor)

In your opinions is there any real gain doing the transfer case mod (additional clutch packs)?

(rear diff very recently rebuilt by Award)

I suppose it depends if YOU want more front end grip. I've had it done and it does allow you to jump on the loud pedal earlier in a corner. 

i've gone from factory to Midori spec midori Seibi to Do Luck Tarzan G-Box in my 34.
the additional programming in the Do-luck really comes into things under hard braking into corners where the unit pushes power forward to stabilize the car to help deal with weight shift.

For a 32 or 33 you should notice things a lot more as the 34's factory g-sensor (apparently) works faster than units fitted to the older models.

Which is best for you depends on what you're doing with the car but as above, your transfer case needs to be up to the task.

The official diagnosis for this is to park up on a firm but grassy field and hit the throttle hard, paying attention to how much your torque split gauge moves :)

All up, i feel they're worthwhile - just gotta select the right model :)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ares180BPM said:

The official diagnosis for this is to park up on a firm but grassy field and hit the throttle hard, paying attention to how much your torque split gauge moves :)

I like the test method :)

That said I didn't think the gauge was an indication of how hard the transfer case is working, more how much pressure is being sent to it?

It's from Nissan officially, believe it or not - quite fun too, lol!

Not so much a test of the gauge as the ETS itself - the MFD on my 34 typically gets the "highest score" under these conditions and should give some indication of the condition of the case :)

• Like 1

On 2/19/2017 at 1:37 PM, RBN1 said:

I'd describe my $60 ebay attessa tweaker the same way...