SAU Community

Skyline R34 power window not working

Skyline R34 power window not working

I recently had a problem with my driver side power window not working on my Skyline R34 GTT, but gather this is applies to R33, etc also

Which i discovered a fix to that i did not come across while searching this site and the web for a solution so thought I would share.

My window seamed to have trouble winding up for a while and then one day got stuck altogether,

with knowledge from the forums i diagnosed it by pulling off the power lead to the power window motor and using a multi meter confirmed that the switch was still working as i was getting power to the lead connections.

I though great the power window motor is gone, so decided to pull it out to help in ordering a new one, (This is a hard procedure when the window is stuck up but got it eventually with some persistence).

It had some simple screws to take off the motor case and remove the rotor (The motor case was on the picture where the red circle is), and i noticed the contacts were quite dirty (see pic)

58a3ea5a9da91_powerwindowapperatus.jpg.4623820f596ab927c71a8f86e4a92906.jpgWindowMotorDirty.jpg

so i got a cloth and used some fine grit sand paper (240 or something i think) and cleaned them up

WindowMotorClean.jpg

and then put it back together and to my surprise my window works like new again, no more getting stuck or any other problems.

Its been installed and working fine for about a month now.

one thing to note if you try this is to make sure the ball bearing stays on top of the motor (mine came out while pulling this bit out), and watch the magnets don't  pull it out when you put it back in the casing.

WindowMotorBallBearing.jpg

so saved myself around $150 bucks by not replacing the motor,

I hope this helps someone else save some dough too

Edited by ScottyGeek
modification
  • Like 1