SAU Community

Kasko's R34 GTT Build

9 hours ago, MatthewT85 said:

It's interesting seeing your results. I have atr43ss2 with a cooling pro return flow and the first time I had it tuned it made about 280. Not long after getting it back it started knocking coming on boost. Took it back and 4 degrees of timing was taken out to keep it safe. Bringing it back to 250ish. Apparently it just couldn't take sensible timing and had high IAT. Wondering if it's same issues.

Also i had a gasket fail too, but it was the manifold one, was some cheap shit one and studs were finger tight

From all the threads I have read, it seems return flow is not ideal for trying to get past 250rwkw on 98. 
They just aren't efficient enough. Plenty of people have made more power but it's normally with bigger turbos and better setups. 

Tuner didn't mention anything about high IAT or timing issues on mine, it seemed though to have pressure drop across the intercooler.
Post intercooler it would hit 20psi and bleed down to 16psi, pre intercooler it would hit 20psi and hold around 19psi. 

Enjoy the 250rwkw though and if you feel like chasing down the issue then do that once the 250 gets boring, that's what I'm doing :)

3 hours ago, Manuel Kasko said:

From all the threads I have read, it seems return flow is not ideal for trying to get past 250rwkw on 98. 
They just aren't efficient enough. Plenty of people have made more power but it's normally with bigger turbos and better setups. 

Tuner didn't mention anything about high IAT or timing issues on mine, it seemed though to have pressure drop across the intercooler.
Post intercooler it would hit 20psi and bleed down to 16psi, pre intercooler it would hit 20psi and hold around 19psi. 

Enjoy the 250rwkw though and if you feel like chasing down the issue then do that once the 250 gets boring, that's what I'm doing :)

yeah i have noticed that too about 250 being the average.  Just weird that I had 280 at one point, although tuner did find the gate slightly open and once that was tightened maybe it didnt like it... but didnt show up at the time.

The only thing I can see different on your graph is mine has boost around 16psi and slowly rises to 19-20ish at redline, in my other thread people have mentioned things like CAS so I guess I just have to work out what I want to start with...

Well having 280 at one point makes the 250 boring straight away :(

• 1 month later...
Currently have a weird grinding noise between 1000-2000rpm coming from the front of the engine around the CAS/Cylinder 1 
Going to try get the CAS off over the next few days and work out if that's what's causing it.

Video of the grinding noise if anyone is interested in hearing it.

The video is just there for the sound, not for the actual footage.
Had a few people comment on it being potato footage, the intent was just to get the noise not footage of the front of a normal RB25neo...

Also have a loud fuel pump, so might pull that out and try cut a bit off the bracket and install another clamp on there.
Hopefully that will stop the buzzing that it currently has.

Did you change your timing belt when I changed mine the idler made it whine like that.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2017 at 9:53 PM, Manuel Kasko said:

Currently have a weird grinding noise between 1000-2000rpm coming from the front of the engine around the CAS/Cylinder 1 
Going to try get the CAS off over the next few days and work out if that's what's causing it.

Video of the grinding noise if anyone is interested in hearing it.

The video is just there for the sound, not for the actual footage.
Had a few people comment on it being potato footage, the intent was just to get the noise not footage of the front of a normal RB25neo...

Also have a loud fuel pump, so might pull that out and try cut a bit off the bracket and install another clamp on there.
Hopefully that will stop the buzzing that it currently has.

I'd be pretty confident in saying that you are running a gates racing timing belt? They usually make that sound for the first couple thousand kms. The noise from the belt will go away after running in. It's also quite possible that your timing belt may be a touch to tight. 

1 hour ago, jmknights93 said:

I'd be pretty confident in saying that you are running a gates racing timing belt? They usually make that sound for the first couple thousand kms. The noise from the belt will go away after running in. It's also quite possible that your timing belt may be a touch to tight. 

Hey mate, thanks for the info.

I'm actually running just a genuine timing belt.
Someone actually presumed the same thing when they heard the noise so maybe it is a touch too tight and makes it sound like the gates do.
I purposely didn't get a gates because I saw so many posts about them being loud. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Manuel Kasko said:

Hey mate, thanks for the info.

I'm actually running just a genuine timing belt.
Someone actually presumed the same thing when they heard the noise so maybe it is a touch too tight and makes it sound like the gates do.
I purposely didn't get a gates because I saw so many posts about them being loud. 

I was half right with my answer then haha. Easy fix.

Sounds like it might be one of your idler pulleys. Did you use the blue gates timing belt as well? I adjusted the tension on the idlers and it went away slightly.

• 2 years later...