Jump to content
  • Welcome to SAU Community

    Welcome to SAU Community, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of SAU Community by signing in or creating an account.

    • Start new topics and reply to others
    • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
    • Get your own profile page, build reputation and make new friends
    • Send personal messages to other members.
    • See fewer ads!

    Consider joining our newsletter for the latest content updates

    Click here to register


Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, MatthewT85 said:

It's interesting seeing your results. I have atr43ss2 with a cooling pro return flow and the first time I had it tuned it made about 280. Not long after getting it back it started knocking coming on boost. Took it back and 4 degrees of timing was taken out to keep it safe. Bringing it back to 250ish. Apparently it just couldn't take sensible timing and had high IAT. Wondering if it's same issues.

Also i had a gasket fail too, but it was the manifold one, was some cheap shit one and studs were finger tight

From all the threads I have read, it seems return flow is not ideal for trying to get past 250rwkw on 98. 
They just aren't efficient enough. Plenty of people have made more power but it's normally with bigger turbos and better setups. 

Tuner didn't mention anything about high IAT or timing issues on mine, it seemed though to have pressure drop across the intercooler.
Post intercooler it would hit 20psi and bleed down to 16psi, pre intercooler it would hit 20psi and hold around 19psi. 

Enjoy the 250rwkw though and if you feel like chasing down the issue then do that once the 250 gets boring, that's what I'm doing :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Manuel Kasko said:

From all the threads I have read, it seems return flow is not ideal for trying to get past 250rwkw on 98. 
They just aren't efficient enough. Plenty of people have made more power but it's normally with bigger turbos and better setups. 

Tuner didn't mention anything about high IAT or timing issues on mine, it seemed though to have pressure drop across the intercooler.
Post intercooler it would hit 20psi and bleed down to 16psi, pre intercooler it would hit 20psi and hold around 19psi. 

Enjoy the 250rwkw though and if you feel like chasing down the issue then do that once the 250 gets boring, that's what I'm doing :)

yeah i have noticed that too about 250 being the average.  Just weird that I had 280 at one point, although tuner did find the gate slightly open and once that was tightened maybe it didnt like it... but didnt show up at the time.

The only thing I can see different on your graph is mine has boost around 16psi and slowly rises to 19-20ish at redline, in my other thread people have mentioned things like CAS so I guess I just have to work out what I want to start with...

Well having 280 at one point makes the 250 boring straight away :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MatthewT85 said:

Well having 280 at one point makes the 250 boring straight away :(

Haha true! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

gonna be a great build. Also might be coming back into the line game fingers crosses it all goes well

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Currently have a weird grinding noise between 1000-2000rpm coming from the front of the engine around the CAS/Cylinder 1 
Going to try get the CAS off over the next few days and work out if that's what's causing it.

Video of the grinding noise if anyone is interested in hearing it.

The video is just there for the sound, not for the actual footage.
Had a few people comment on it being potato footage, the intent was just to get the noise not footage of the front of a normal RB25neo...

 

Also have a loud fuel pump, so might pull that out and try cut a bit off the bracket and install another clamp on there.
Hopefully that will stop the buzzing that it currently has.


Did you change your timing belt when I changed mine the idler made it whine like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2017 at 9:53 PM, Manuel Kasko said:

Currently have a weird grinding noise between 1000-2000rpm coming from the front of the engine around the CAS/Cylinder 1 
Going to try get the CAS off over the next few days and work out if that's what's causing it.

Video of the grinding noise if anyone is interested in hearing it.

The video is just there for the sound, not for the actual footage.
Had a few people comment on it being potato footage, the intent was just to get the noise not footage of the front of a normal RB25neo...

 


Also have a loud fuel pump, so might pull that out and try cut a bit off the bracket and install another clamp on there.
Hopefully that will stop the buzzing that it currently has.

I'd be pretty confident in saying that you are running a gates racing timing belt? They usually make that sound for the first couple thousand kms. The noise from the belt will go away after running in. It's also quite possible that your timing belt may be a touch to tight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jmknights93 said:

I'd be pretty confident in saying that you are running a gates racing timing belt? They usually make that sound for the first couple thousand kms. The noise from the belt will go away after running in. It's also quite possible that your timing belt may be a touch to tight. 

Hey mate, thanks for the info.

I'm actually running just a genuine timing belt.
Someone actually presumed the same thing when they heard the noise so maybe it is a touch too tight and makes it sound like the gates do.
I purposely didn't get a gates because I saw so many posts about them being loud. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cars just been sitting around and being driven every now and then.

Haven't put aside the time to pull things apart or anything yet.
When I get the motivation then I will :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/04/2017 at 10:24 PM, B-rice said:

 


Did you change your timing belt when I changed mine the idler made it whine like that.

 

Hey, yeah timing belt was done and the noise appeared around the same time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Manuel Kasko said:

Hey mate, thanks for the info.

I'm actually running just a genuine timing belt.
Someone actually presumed the same thing when they heard the noise so maybe it is a touch too tight and makes it sound like the gates do.
I purposely didn't get a gates because I saw so many posts about them being loud. 

I was half right with my answer then haha. Easy fix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like it might be one of your idler pulleys. Did you use the blue gates timing belt as well? I adjusted the tension on the idlers and it went away slightly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couldn't edit ....Read the posts above. Disregard my last comment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...