SAU Community

what to look for when looking for a quality GTR.

LatinR33

what to look for when looking for a quality GTR??

Hey everyone,

im finally back on the forums after many many years. Sold my old mint R33 when my wife got pregnant some 7 years ago.

So now I'm an old 35 year old... Have the good job... wife, 2 kids, house and even a dog! Have just now began thinking of getting myself a R35 and wandering what are the things to look out for.

cheers 

Edited by LatinR33

Buy a 2011 + and you wont have as many issues as the 09-10 especially with the gearbox.

Besides that, just look out for pad/rotor/tyre wear as well this can be very expensive to replace these consumables.

Also service on gearbox can cost around $1000-$1500 so make sure you if you buy one of these cars you can afford to maintain it also.

:) 

I'm in a similar position (considering moving the 34 on and getting a 35) and I'm in two minds about the Transaxle. 

Have spoken to many people with 09-11 who have had no issues at all and the two most commons fixes are actually easy enough to do at home, gear stoppers and piston caps - which you can argue are good preventative parts for any GR6 anyway.  

The key seems to have been treatment. People doing a lot of hard standing starts seem to encounter more issues, naturally, but there has also been enough reports of people babying the cars and still having issues to know it's a real flaw in the early spec. 

The bell housing issue "should" have been fixed under warranty for any ADM car that has the problem. 

• 4 months later...

Ok so the 2011+ is the goer.

What's with the transaxle and bell housing? Are these also 2009-2010 issues?

Servicing cost I am use too. Have Ralliart at the moment with SST gearbox and that costs roughly the same to service.

Also keen to know how much to budget for a gearbox rebuild as that seems to be the biggest issue. Should $10k do it?

If so then would it be worth maybe getting a low km 2009-2010 model for cheaper and use the saved cash aside for if the gearbox decides to crap itself. Or are the newer models better

Edited by LatinR33

• 8 months later...

its not about getting it for cheaper, the newer models have better MFDs, better suspension, more rigid chassis, updated DRL front bar and are faster stock (more power due to turbo inlet is bigger, less restriction = more power) than the older models and a revised gearbox design which means more reliable GR6 Transmission.

once you modify it then yes it all becomes the same, but you will have better suspension and better chassis with a newer model GTR if you plan on doing track days.

As for gearbox repair, anywhere between $2500-$12,000 depending on if its a "repair" or if you want to  "modify" and also depending on whats broken, or what you want to strengthen.

Edited by BLISTC