SAU Community

R32 Gts4 ECU burned Resistor...advice

R32 Gts4 ECU burned Resistor...advice

let me preface this by stating I am no electrical guy.  I can do mechanical, but thats about it.  Anyways, I upgraded my turbo and injectors and then installed my Nistune ECU a few weeks ago.  The motor when fired up sounded like a wrx...found that unplugging coilpack #4 yeilded no change...boom, dead cylinder.  Pulled the injector, injector is fine....then thought to check ecu since it was just sitting on my floorboard...Burnt resistor that corresponds to cylinder 4.  Now, i dont recall disconnecting my battery before doing all this work, and am hoping that may have been the cause as i was moving a lot of stuff around and out of the way.  I am replacing the resistor, but would like to know what else I should be looking at that could have caused this, besides me being an idiot and not disconnecting my battery before doing all this work.  Thanks in advance for any tips or advice.

Capture_2017-02-28-20-19-05_zps2xx5kd7x.
0228172033_zpscvm9sayl.jpg

Yah, a computer repair shop is replacing it for $15...should have it back today....just trying to prevent a failure again....battery is already disconnected and will be connected after everything is in position.  Posted on Nicoclub.com as well.

in my 'not that knowledgeable' head, the thought would be, what made the resister pop and really burn? somethings not right. not something you want failing while in motion/ high rpm.

i would be more looking at how the nistune was installed.

if you change something then it goes bad its usually that.

ask the guys fixing it. their gonna know allot more than me :P

I sent the ECU straight to Nistune in Australia to ensure it was installed correctly.,,no way thats the problem. I just installed the ecu with the new resistor installed...cylinder 4 still dead, but resistor is good.  Ran noid tester and injector is firing...going to test ignitor next.  Finding conflicting info on how to test...

Ok, so installed the repaired resistor ecu, used  the injector nodes, injector is firing and the the problem is still there...definately no spark.  Since the harness goes to the ecu and resistors off the ignitor, i measured the resistance across the 6 pinouts..all measures the same except cylinder 4 wire, which read .02.  I need to do more testing, but does that imply that wire is being grounded somewhere? Can someone please test theirs and see what they get?

21960_zpssaloqj6c.jpeg

Edited by GreyZ33Track

Has your coilpack been blown out? Burning out a resistor isn't a small feat. It looks like a 22 ohm resistor, and it probably had a constant 12v across it to burn it out like that.

However if the output was stuck on, that would have burned out the coilpack?

• 2 months later...