SAU Community

E85 Fuel Consumption

E85 Fuel Consumption

General question around what level of consumption people are seeing when running E85. 

I had a fairly full tank when I went for a cruise on the weekend through the hills, did about 175-200ks or so and had about quarter of a tank left (R34 GT-R with around 350rwkw). 

When I did a track day I had a full tank plus 80L with me and ended up with around half a tank left in the car and all jerries emptied after 5 or so 8 lap sessions of Winton, so 25 or so k's per session?

I can run the car on 98, but of course less power etc, but I'm just curious what others are seeing as I'd like to do some longer cruises and I'm thinking I might only be able to do so on 98. 

There's very little E85 around here too (Regional Victoria) so I keep a 200L barrel in the shed :D

This was the main reason holding me back from going E85, a range of ~200km is frankly ridiculous. I know that flex fuel would address that but I'm too cheap to pay for all the required tuning.

It's crazy days when a Tesla is quicker off the mark and has better range than our cars ... once they address the weight and price, see you later. 5-10 years max.

3 hours ago, Hadouken said:

My 33 got 12l/100 on the freeway. And about 20l/100 at the track.

Norm was 14 odd /100

I did 24 laps at Mallala yesterday, plus a couple more getting on and off the track. I used around 60 litres of E85, so almost 100L/100Kms.

17 minutes ago, GeeDog said:

I did 24 laps at Mallala yesterday, plus a couple more getting on and off the track. I used around 60 litres of E85, so almost 100L/100Kms.

What sort of setup have you got?

33 minutes ago, GeeDog said:

Mine's an economy car by comparison.  Seems to consistently run about 60l/100km.  Not running ethanol though. I'd expect that to increase by about 30 percent on E85.

2 hours ago, Dale FZ1 said:

Mine's an economy car by comparison.  Seems to consistently run about 60l/100km.  Not running ethanol though. I'd expect that to increase by about 30 percent on E85.

If you consider that 4 of the 24 laps were "out" laps (so 1/2 pace to the start line), and 5 of the other 20 laps were on a wet track, the 15 laps at full noise probably used well over 100L/100Km. 

3 hours ago, Piggaz said:

What sort of setup have you got?

R33 GTST, highflow, ID1000s, Nistune, E85 etc

It's always 30-35% less range than equal driving on 98 ;)

If you really want to get sad, get a high stall torque converter, and then take *that* to the track!
When I was running my engine in, I managed to pay United something like $770 of fuel in 5-6 days.

Nowadays I am back on 98 because United's violent price gouging rustles my jimmies.

E85 I get 270-290km per tank (60-65L), general mix of daily driving with some cruising and some squirting. P98 I was getting around 400km per tank give or take a bit depending on heaviness of right foot. On the track with E85, 1l per kilometre isn't far off the mark when going full noise constantly. Agree with Greg about united violent price gouging, went from 119.9 to 139.9 in the space of 2 weeks. Carnts. I have flex but reluctant to poor 98 in. Stock RB25 with highflow, nismo 740cc dinosaurs making 312rwkw btw.