SAU Community

Evo calipers on 34R

I don't like the gold colour of the standard calipers and as they are chipped and marked I had been considering painting them red. I was looking around for some pre-done ones for a nice easy swap and came across threads talking about Evo 7 - 10 calipers being better and using a bigger rotor - and given the price, might be a fairly neutral cost swap plus I can take my time freshening them up before they go on. 

Just trying to work out which calipers and rotors are the easiest fit as there seems to be some size differences and talk of adapters/drilling hubs etc. 

My car already has 2 piece rotors up front, but I'm happy to buy new ones if the rotor size is bigger on the Evo. Are the rears any different? 

Edited by ActionDan
added info

Doesn't answer all questions and was relating to 33R, I wasn't sure if they are identical between the models.  

So the Evo 9 rotor is actually smaller diameter but thicker, is the benefit in the caliper itself being better then? I see they use an external hard line between sides.

Are you saying rear is the same between GTR and Evo or rear is the same between all Evo models? 

I'm assuming adapter is needed for Evo X calipers and rotors, is it also needed for Evo 9 calipers and rotors (if there's any upgrade in that). I can see hat height is different, so assuming a bracket is needed. 

What's "efames"?

Edit: Nevermind: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=E-FAME and yes definitely in it for fame. I will cross post to Facebook later for more. 

Edited by ActionDan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, iruvyouskyrine said:

Let me know if you are looking to offload your current calipers/rotors

Seduced by the big calipers on the Evo X on the weekend?

Do you have trouble pulling up now - or just want to fill the wheel-well a bit more?

I have to say, the brembos on mine never fill me with confidence...not compared to my old bugeye wrx sti anyway..Feel like I have to really stamp on them for anything to happen, and not a lot of feel...wooden feeling - but they do seem to stop...so maybe its in my head. Could just be shitty pads for me too..

Apart from Evo X - R35 brakes are an option too I think..but not sure on master cylinder requirements/changes either.

3 hours ago, iruvyouskyrine said:

Let me know if you are looking to offload your current calipers/rotors

Will do

2 hours ago, l0ckym said:

Seduced by the big calipers on the Evo X on the weekend?

Do you have trouble pulling up now - or just want to fill the wheel-well a bit more?

I have to say, the brembos on mine never fill me with confidence...not compared to my old bugeye wrx sti anyway..Feel like I have to really stamp on them for anything to happen, and not a lot of feel...wooden feeling - but they do seem to stop...so maybe its in my head. Could just be shitty pads for me too..

Apart from Evo X - R35 brakes are an option too I think..but not sure on master cylinder requirements/changes either.

Nah not seduced and nah not looking to fill the rim more, purely an exercise in cost effective options. 

Car has no trouble pulling up now and was able to do a good 5 hot laps at winton without issue (ferodo pads and 2 piece rotors) it was only when I did a couple 8 lap stints they got a bit hot and I ate into the rotor a little.

It won't be tracked like that again, maybe a logic day or something, so I don't "need" bigger brakes.  

If I want red calipers anyway, and Evo calipers are not only cheap, but better than mine, nothing to lose by swapping given I can cover the cost selling my current ones and ed up with better calipers, bigger rotors, and will be fresh and red like I want. 

35 brakes 3-5 times more exensive

2 hours ago, Hadouken said:

Doing it just for the looks emoji58.png

Wrong, but why would that matter anyway lol

Cheapest and fastest way to get the "look" would be just to paint the current caliper. If I'm gonna pull calipers off, I might as well see what cheapo upgrades are around. Same thing I do with every other mod, which is why the Silvia has so many new parts everywhere - pull one thing off, replace/restore everything around it and don't do the labour again. 

This is a middle ground, still cheap, no rush on caliper restoration as they are already off the car, and end up with better brakes as a bonus for minimal outlay. 

Fitted splitter, rear spoiler, painted bonnet, guards, bumper, and boot lid, powdered coated wheels, changed hoses in engine bay, painted shit in engine bay, bought hard pipes and customised then painted for engine bay, bought fancy fasteners, radiator guide, etc etc, all for looks primarily lol

Hardly the first time I've wanted to spend time or money to get the type of look I want. 

I know the Evo gang is too cool to care so I won't tell anyone you were here in this efames thread :D

It's like you didn't​ even read my post, just replied as fast as possible lol

I'll copy paste the relevant slab of text again, plus will push my post count up #sickbro

"Cheapest and fastest way to get the "look" would be just to paint the current caliper. If I'm gonna pull calipers off, I might as well see what cheapo upgrades are around. Same thing I do with every other mod.

This is a middle ground, still cheap, no rush on caliper restoration as they are already off the car, and end up with better brakes as a bonus for minimal outlay."

After I've sold my front setup the change over is minimal to me given i I get all new hardware (assuming rebuilt calipers and new rotors) and better brakes and who doesn't like that?

Don't worry, I'm not gonna show up to the meets or track days and pretend I'm cool because i have Evo parts, it will be our secret.

Edit: woops not to you Rob, you managed to sleaze that post in there while i was typing on the shitter :D

• Like 1