SAU Community

S13 Sprint/Time Attack Style Build

No Crust Racing

• 2 weeks later...

Round 1 entered, March 11. 

Grabbed a new hose, old one was fully dead. New one is teflon, see how it goes. 

28190627_10157100406544838_273921630_n.thumb.jpg.f4f008e6259723968cf6e4d05b6775c9.jpg

This bad boy turned up locally, very cheap and was pulled as a runner so shouldn't be completely f**ked. Missing PS, Coilpacks and CAS. 

Managed to get it straight onto the stand from the back of the car. 

Tossing up whether I want to attempt a build myself, as I've always wanted to build a motor, but given I was going to put a forged spool kit into it, do I want to risk having it blow up first dyno run because I missed something... 

28167300_10157128204239838_2251570555405429436_n.jpg.e73cbada0e72a2391694da717113d4a3.jpg28167058_10157128204349838_1088722920061263572_n.jpg.72255f904ca1016a7921d69d0a51022d.jpg

Edited by ActionDan

Replaced the coolant line last night, started pouring coolant in, could hear it leaking, found a split heater hose behind the head. Fixed that and got the car started, only running on 3 cylinders, number 1 not firing at all. It did miss at the last event, but came good so I assumed it was a fouled plug from a few cold starts.  

Swapped coil packs, plugs, checked voltage to looms, checked compression, all looks OK. 

Suspect a failed/clogged injector, will pulse it manually today/tonight and go from there. Have sourced another one so should be able to swap it out before round 1. 

Couldn't have just "worked" could it... 

So, the mystery continues. 

Did a little reading, ran my multimeter across the injector, resistance is fine. Grabbed a 9v battery, tested it manually, it fires 0_0

Start the car, put screw driver to my ear, it is definitely pulsing but car still running like dicks. Decide to hold throttle open just a touch to let i run for a few mins, goes back to idling like a champ.

I pulled the coil pack while the car was idling, and it zapped me well enough so the spark seems good enough, unless it's a failing plug but they are iridium and the and the only issue i can see on it is that it's been hot. 

I'll do an ECU diag next, wonder if it's got a bad IAT/Coolant Temp sensor so the timing//fueling when cold is off. 

• 2 weeks later...

Round 1 done and dusted, was a hot hot day and it was hard trying to find good tyre pressures. 

I did manage a class win and a small and questionable PB according to RaceChrono, but it didn't match the official timing. 

A broken rear sway bar link end my day, though given how the car drove I suspect I did it early in the day and didn't realise til y rear brake duct came down. 

Enjoy some B Roll footage.

• Like 1

This might explain the poor handling... 

Might have to make a bolt check part of my pre-race prep lol

Grabbing some GKTech rear links today, have had good experience with their gear so far. 

Also banged up the splitter a little, I will check the mounts as the overall angle appears to have changed with the front edge now angled a little downwards. 

20180313_211949.jpg

20180313_203345.jpg

20180313_203221.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Track day coming up this Sunday, Missus also booked to do a Women's driver day on the Saturday but she's been under the weather so we'll see if she makes it. 

In preparation, the Silvia got:

• Oil and filter change.
  • Tyre rotation - they do not look healthy at all from all that sliding, fronts in particular are really bad. Not great wear for 2 track days but I haven't been kind to them. 
  • New GPS module - Dual XGPS160 - GPS and GLONASS, 10HZ. 
  • New phone mount to replace the broken one. 
  • New rear end links. 
  • Splitter straightened. 
  • Bought new Project Mu pads to match the rotors, but not fitting either as the current rotors are still above minimum thickness and no cracks, current pads have plenty left. 
  • Washed!

XR6 Got:

• Race seats mounted:
    • Bitch of a job as the seat belt clips are part of the factory seats and include the tensioner, so had to be retrofitted onto the new seats (no harnesses yet).
    • The seat mounts on the floor are not even between the two sets of mounts on a given side and not even driver to passenger side so each piece is bespoke. Factory seat is also offset slightly so I corrected that. Tabs on the seats were all also uneven so that had to be corrected as well. 
  • Tensioner removed, both pulleys replaced, new belt - Now idles nice and quiet. This was such an easy job, which is a nice change.
  • New thermostat housing gasket and sealant - no more weeping under idle at least, see how it goes on track. 
  • Also washed! 

I also bought one of these 10 in 1 guages and will fit it before next round hopefully - https://www.justraceparts.com.au/10in1-automotive-digital-oled-multi-gauge-display

I will remove my other guages and feed my wideband into it as well. I am planning on using the 5v warning light output to trigger a relay on something like the water temp sensor so the nistune freaks out and rev limits when something trips an alarm. That way I'll have audible and visual alarms plus the ECU doing "something". 

Works out being a bit over $200 delivered and includes all sensors, I've only had a quick check over but it looks decent, though the screen is a tough small.

In other news, I'm going to SR swap the car either after this season is finished, as it will change my class, or when the current motor lets go. 

Picture time.

10in1-automotive-digital-oled-multi-gauge-display-v3-735x735.jpg

20180402_135541.jpg

20180402_134441.jpg

20180401_141925.jpg

20180401_141145.jpg

20180328_091913.jpg

20180318_211235.jpg

20180318_211227.jpg

Big weekend of Motorsport. 

Saturday was the Womans driver training day, my partner drove the battle Falcon - she had a blast. 

• An off broke a cable tie on the brake duct, fixed that and good to know the other 2 connection points are enough to keep it in place.  
  • Shift knob and shifter really needs replacing. Knob came off as there's no thread on the shifter itself, will replace both. 
  • 3rd is stupid hard to find at speed, hopefully new shifter helps.
  • Clutch might be dragging a touch, making it harder to engage gears, might just buy a new cable and do a fresh adjustment. 
  • Coolant leak confirmed fixed.
  • Need to keep an eye on oil levels as it burns a little with sustained revs.
  • Tyres are just so shit. 

Sunday was Round 2 of the sprint series. 

• Played with tyre temps only, didn't touch camber.
  • New PB of 57.8, was really stoked about this - Class Win. 
  • Actually got to go in the top 10 shoot out as the car was in 1 piece, set my PB in the shootout, only took a tenth off but not bad given you just get 1 warm up and 1 hot lap. Clearly more in the car given the track temps. Finished 5th in the shootout, .7s behind a Tarmac Evo 10 and a Track only Evo 8, pretty happy with that given they have more power and are on better tyres.
  • New GPS is far more accurate, didn't see more than 1 tenth variance between my time and theirs, which was usually due to rounding of the hundredths column, eg my timer said 57.9 on the shootout, but came back as 57.8 officially. I had done a 57.88 earlier in the day, but it came back as 57.9 officially, also good to know the 57 wasn't a 1 off. 
  • New Helmet and Hans was good, took a little getting used to and works out easier to put them on as 1 piece, with the Hans already attached. Won't wear this at this track all the time, but I wanted to test it before Winton next month. 

Spare CA is sold, SR turns up tomorrow. Took a while but I managed to find one that required rebuild from low comp, not from spun bearing so hopefully reduce the amount of machine work required for crank/line boring etc etc. 

Round 3 is at Winton on May the 6th, haven't been back in years so I'm looking forward to it. 

Won't bother posting videos as the motorsport section appears to be mostly dead now so I'll just treat this as my build journal so I can go back and reference things. 

• 3 weeks later...

Got the guage all installed, not a bad bit of gear. 

Not quite as much customisation as I'd like but plenty good enough. 

All sensors went straight into existing ports, Wideband works without issue using the output from the AEM UEGO. 

Had to extend the warning light wiring to put it in a useful spot, also wired in an extension for that loom so I have a 5v trigger in the engine bay now, I'm planning on using that to trip a sensor of some sort to put the ecu into limp mode (once I have all the warnings configured correctly). That way I'll get visual/audible warning and some level of engine protection. 

Takes a little time to get your head around navigating how to configure it (buttons on the screen + hand unit + combos of short long press on each depending on what you want to do), but once sorted it's pretty easy to work. 

Speed pulses needed to be changed on my setup, from the default of 4 down to 2 for the digital speed to read correctly. 

Will give it a good test at Winton. 

SAFC is now full time knock guage. 

Either coincidence or somehow shorted out, but nothing else had any issues, the EBC controller died, but I can use this gauge as my boost guage anyway. Solenoid still works but will need a new controller or an ECU with boost control down the track. 

Edited by ActionDan

Washed the car, tried to pressure wash underneath from the oil overflow last time, and took a very quick measurement of the front wheels and as I suspected there's a camber difference side to side so I;ll adjust that and hopefully will stop it pinching a tyre under brakes at Winton, which will be especially important given the speed differences. 

Worked through my existential crisis for the car, still going to build it up "decently" rather than buy something "already done". 

Spots available for the next round this weekend 

Get around it. 

Round 4 complete, was a mixed bag. 

Bad things

• GPS came loose, clearly that rubber mat is only good for low speed tracks.
  • Camera mount came loose, but then didn't have another issue all day, tethered it just to be sure. 
  • Car is still puking oil out the breathers, so when I thought I'd fixed it, it was obviously just low enough in the sump to breath properly. 
  • Even considering the above the, I had oil surge on the faster corners/hard braking zones, which will only get worse with less oil in the sump.
  • I thought the new gauge had onboard memory and might only need the battery wire for something like the ODO or clock, I was wrong and had to set it up quickly again when it came off the trailer. I leave the battery disconnected when the car is sitting so I'll have to wire it direct or accept it won't hold settings. I did test this but obviously not for long enough, or my stuffing around with the central locking and immobiliser caused it, more testing to do. 
  • Track was a bit busy for my liking and I had a hard time getting clean laps and a rhythm going which after over 2yrs away I really needed. 

Good things. 

• Class win - 5 from 5 now, 3 in this season. 
  • PB, but was always going to be given the changes since the last visit. Managed 1:37.7 on the official timing, am confident there's a 1:36 in it with a few more laps at speed to get my eye in properly. 
  • No major damage from the offs I had/nothing blew up.
  • Visor works well, though I did find when the sun comes in on a certain angle it bounces off the inside the of visor itself. 

Harness turned up for the second seat, it's current date so I'll swap mine out for it. I just need a passenger rail now, the seat came with side mounts and rails but setup fora Porsche. 

Should soon be pulling the trigger on my engine rebuild bits. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After 9yrs I lashed out and bought a rear strut brace, in blue to match the front one because that's important...  

Looking at getting some castor arm mount weld in brackets and grabbing a Gktech castor arm brace (the bolt in style) to mimic the nismo power brace "benefits" without the price tag. 

Next event is June 3rd, will do a bolt check this time after the few offs at Winton and making some more changes to the breather system to see if it helps. 

32697807_10157396581939838_8880321552835411968_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&oh=22c983d07646cdc98d0ab4e72a916015&oe=5B8ED969

Edited by ActionDan

Quick bolt check on the car and continued stripping the donor SR and ordering parts. Got a couple extra pics from the last track day that I liked also. 

Swaybar end links still intact this time, did notice I had broken a brake line plastic clip (that holds it to the coil over) so cable tied that for now til I next do a fluid change (must remove lines to fix). 

Further testing with multi-gauge, no setting hold issue now, must have been the central locking I was stuff around with.

DSCF7782.JPG

DSCF7799.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...