SAU Community

S13 Sprint/Time Attack Style Build

No Crust Racing

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Round 6 finished, managed another PB and class win. Either .2 or .4 tenths depending on official vs RaceChrono + XPS160 timing. Previous was 57.8. Finished 12th outright from approx 60 cars. RaceChrono thinks there's a 56.7 optimal lap in the combined sectors but it can be misleading as the best time in one sector may mess up the start of the next etc, either way a 56 would be amazing for the car. 

Only 1 more round to go and that's in the November so it might be too warm to go any quicker by then. See how we go. Trying to squeeze max life from the AR1s which are getting on now but still producing times. I can't tell if the car is looser because the tyres are wearing our or if I'm just pushing them harder. The extra wheel work is evident in the clips. 

Had some issues with visor coming down mid corner/after bumps will need to tighten that. Tried to start the car on the trailer while it was in gear, damaged the splitter again. Failed to recover a late turn in/loss of the rear and went to mow the grass on the infield also. 

As always enjoy the PB lap + stuff ups.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Wall of text update. 

So my season is done, the last round of the year is this weekend and I am just too busy at the moment to make it (just moved house, dealing with that and a number of events etc). I've been told that it wont matter and I'll win my class anyway, so happy days.

The car is now parked in the shed at the new place, as is all the engine gear which I am yet to send away to start the build. My concerns about the new driveway, dirt and steep, where partially realised when the first attempt to get up it failed (2wd territory on road tyres) have since put slightly more aggressive tyres on it, as it got a puncture and was due for rubber anyway, but I doubt it would be possible in the wet so I'll use the Land Cruiser for that and either just tow in with that or swap to the territory down the bottom of the driveway (terri is heaps nicer to tow with). 

Oh yeah, bought an old cruiser for around the place, just a petrol 80 series auto, dual fuel (not that it matters lol), dual batteries, CB, ARB rack and winch bar (no winch yet), basic lift and AT tyres, awning, some shitty home made rear drawers etc.

Will tidy up some small maintenance things then either get a J pipe made or find a half decent manifold and throw an XR6 turbo on it, as they had a supercharger option from factory that requires no other parts to work, as there's enough resolution in the AFM, injector capacity etc (we're talking like 4-8psi) but makes a big difference. They weren't even intercooled 0_0 but I thought it couldn't hurt to throw a small R33 or XR6 core on it. 

Have no experience in a proper 4wd so went for a spin with my dad around the property and up into the bush, completely changed my understanding of what even a basic car like this can do, lots of fun. 

Started thinking about the new shed, thinking like 9 to 10m x 12 to 14m or so with enough wall height for a hoist, god that will be a game changer. 

Obligatory pic of Cruiser. 

45730370_1115123108698216_5601405968446390272_n.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Have basically done nothing. Wont even think about a shed til early next year, too busy. 

Silvia has sat untouched, all the engine bits still there, just been way too busy with everything else. Don't have the motivation needed to start the engine build as I know how much more work is beyond that. Having one of those moments where I'm trying to really work out what the goals are etc. The plans for the engine build got a little out of hand, which would result in gearbox swaps, diff swaps, 5 stud upgrade to get decent rubber on it etc and I'm questioning if I really want to go down that path.

Started chipping away on the Land Cruiser to prep for roadworthy, replaced distributor seal but turns out the oil pump housing is also leaking so will do that next. Have also ordered a rear brake valve for it as there's a weep there. 

47398332_313073829303780_2068633168046456832_n.jpg

47441275_2254087474610867_1445179533585022976_n.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Landcruiser has been busting my balls when I do find a few mins to progress it. 

Cannot remove the balancer bolt, factory spec is a bit over 400Nm of torque. First challenge was locking up the crank as it's an auto. I have chained the pulley to the frame, that was enough for me to do this... 

48367723_2044920578906664_3497042761306079232_n.thumb.jpg.13917f0e3fb83f9b4804283a697c42e8.jpg

So I will need to borrow a 3/4" breaker and torque wrench and have another go when I get back from Xmas holidays. 

You'll need to check that the motor spins in the right direction, but I've cracked a crank bolt by wedging a breaker bar against the concrete floor, disabling the engine from starting (fuel and/or ignition), and touching the key to start so the starter motor turned the engine. The jammed breaker bar held the bolt stationary.

Obviously use common sense, but it worked for me.

• Like 1

You'll need to check that the motor spins in the right direction, but I've cracked a crank bolt by wedging a breaker bar against the concrete floor, disabling the engine from starting (fuel and/or ignition), and touching the key to start so the starter motor turned the engine. The jammed breaker bar held the bolt stationary.
Obviously use common sense, but it worked for me.
Actually already tried it lol

sounds like it might be seized pretty bad then....the starter makes plenty of torque. A shorter breaker bar is ok for the starter trick because you don't need to put leverage on it. 

alternatively, try a "power bar". no, not a type of protein bar. a thin you hit with a hammer to make balancer bolts come undone. mine is an SP