SAU Community

S13 Sprint/Time Attack Style Build

No Crust Racing

Was having a dig around and given I have brand new bushes sitting there for a stock front swaybar, I'm going to run that at the next track day in early July with basically no other changes, beyond the breather setup and some tyre pressure changes, and see where that gets me. 

Testing is more important than times at this point, I want a neutral car that's kind on tyres before buying new ones. Plus time improvements through suspension tuning feels more rewarding to me. 

Buying new tyres is easy and can come later. 

Car is currently up on stands again to do a quick manual brake bleed and see if that power bleeder did a poor job or if the really light pedal is just a result of too big a booster/master combo.

20170615_064329.jpg

Swaybar in and breather setup done.

Could trim hoses to make it tidier but this is just proof of concept.

If this doesn't help I will make the crank case can atmo.

Will ship the car off to tuner for a touch up and then it's​ ready to go.

Everything else I have in mind is a nicety rather a necessity before July 9th.

20170617_154329.jpg

Car booked for tuner on Wednesday, will get him to pop in a new rear extension housing seal also to see if that stops the leak. Grabbed a new filler and drain plug to replace the originals also. 

Grabbed a sheet of Aluminium composite for splitter V2 and marked it up, evening out some imbalances and measurements in the original. Managed to somehow end up with 3mm instead of the 4mm I wanted, but should still be OK I think. Will see how it behaves on the car when mounted and then brace/replace if necessary. The old one had a brace which added bugger all weight. 

A quick weigh and estimate shows I should save 4-5kg at most, not a huge saving but will look neater and any reduction in weight is a good thing.

Won't be extending back to the engine mount as I did with the original as the swaybar "can" foul it under hard cornering at this ride height. This stops just short and allows the swaybar to move as needed. Using the stock swaybar for this round may negate that, or I could raise the car, but this way I know it doesn't matter what I do there will always be clearance for the sake of 20cm less.

20170622_215527.thumb.jpg.b43c636fda929c43ee6b259401ad51d4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up car from tuners, took some timing out and added some fuel, lost a few wasps as a result - Felt the same on the drive home. See how it goes knock wise. 

I had a new extension housing seal just in case but it turns out my hunch was right and the box was mad overfilled, drained, new filler and drain plugs also. 

Made solid progress on spliter, just need to drill holes for edging and fit that, has a touch more flex than the old one, but will save 4-5kg and not look so ghetto. Straightened up my intercooler also, which was a pain in the ass.

No other changes planned before next track day this Sunday. Next thing will be tyres, but I'm tossing up going 235 RS-RR or buying some better offset rims/adding flares and running 255 all round. 

Been sniffing around for a passenger seat also as it would be good to take some mates for laps, though their fat asses will slow me down ;)

20170702_160652.jpg

Edited by ActionDan

Big day yesterday, lots of laughs and heaps of fun.

Day started out wet and the first session was very ginger, car felt not too bad in the front end and I went faster than a few of my mates in higher powered cars :D Can see how hard it was to put power down towards the end of this clip.

Ran 8-9s slower than PB lol

Got faster as the day dried out and was convinced the car felt like it had better front grip with the softer front swaybar and maintaining 28psi hot on the tyres.

Got a bit carried away in the 3rd session and cooked the tyres then fluffed the entry to a corner and decided to just go with it. More lols. 

White balance did some weird shit in this clip as the sun was coming out and going away. Might be time for new camera, this one has been dropped a lot...

Kept adjusting damper settings and maanaged to shave .7s off my previous PB and run my first 58 with a 58.8 and a class win by 2 hundredths vs a GSR Lancer. Are all GSR AWD? He had better tyres but no idea on power. 

17504944_10154188495836619_7622810789061341519_o.thumb.jpg.12a5e52c107e072dd2c87345f6a879ac.jpg

Car had no knock but was a little rich and a bit doughy off boost, still work to do there. 

Catch can version eleventy got one more mod and worked well. I disconnected the moroso crankcase evac valve and vented the sump catch can to atmo, instantly no more oil in catch can. Will tidy it all up and leave it atmo and delete that one way valve, has not solved a single issue in the end, not sure why the V8 guys rave about them so much as I confirmed with Moroso my setup was correct for a turbo car. 

Splitter V2 held on OK but needs a little more bracing and some improved mounting points on the car to reduce flex. 

From here, car will probably sit for a bit as we come into wetter weather. Will tidy up breather system, was looking at Cams/Turbo, might be time to go 17x9 all round and get some 255s on it. The club guys are getting 18x10 slicks for $50 a pop but getting a 10" wide on the Silvia front end is a big ask. I might just stick with the RS-RR and stay in my class, but either way I am going to have to buy rims. 

Pics of team Nissan at the start of the day. GT-R won his class (and got chopped by me in the wet and overall :D) V8 Skyline next to him almost matched his PB and finished just outside the top 10, did me in by .5s and managed to kiss a tyre wall, cleaner 33 on the end with semi's got into the 56s with a PB and finished 5th outright for the day. I finished 16th overall in a field of 60 cars and outright fastest CA18 ;)

received_1075282749272275.thumb.jpeg.2436b68ee94e4fc3df91348c0552e7c4.jpegFB_IMG_1499575557860.thumb.jpg.4b5b4011b6f4aaf56154520e3fc9a198.jpg

Edited by ActionDan

You know I've been looking around so I take interest in the Evo stuff around me.

If an Evo 7 in M class is less than a second ahead(I highly doubt he has less than 180rwkw either), I can't see big value in spending 10-15k on top of my Silvia sale to buy one... I will go 1s faster just by not using shagged tyres, 

Just gonna keep smashing this CA around, seems quick enough for Club level shenanigans. 

The "issue" will be that I'd like to do a Clubsprint WTAC event, but those cars are next level. Not willing to sell GT-R yet, so I will just sit on everything I have for now. 

Plus I am working on a game changing project on the side that will shave off BULK time. Like maybe a tenth lol 

Edited by ActionDan

Make it 10k then, not getting into a decent 7,8,9 for less than 15. Can't see 10k in additional lap time really. 

Plus this thing is just too fun to drive and there are more people that need to learn about CA greatness.

(Bet it spins a bloody bearing on the next outing now lol)

Also, that Red one was 25k more... 

Edited by ActionDan

Cool, so I can spend 15k on a Stock 7 with a cage, and go about the same speed? Sounds sick :D

Makes a lot of sense if I wanted an awesome daily/track hybrid, but when I have a car already (worth nothing re-sale wise) might as well stick with that if it's already as quick as a stock Evo for far less dollarydoos.

Gotta save my pennies because GT-R ownership is expensive ;)

• Like 1