SAU Community

S13 Sprint/Time Attack Style Build

No Crust Racing

Finished installing bushes last night, I found it easier with the vice as I couldn't get nice angles in the press and there was too much damaging occurring to the paint as I tried (had to touch that up). 

Put the hub in and fitted knuckle to the car, forgot the balljoint nut was only finger tight and I do not have a 21mm spanner, only socket so pulled it all apart again to get at the nut lol

The little black inserts are a bit fiddly and like to pop out when fitting the arms, also noticed i had a loose nut on the camber arm, just a locking nut though and the assemble can't move unless rotated or strips the thread so it was fine. 

I am tossing up if I buy some gktech grip knuckles for the front from a mate of mine. I already have high misalignment tie rod ends and extended ball joints for roll centre correction but apparently these knuckles, + what i have getst he geometry basically back to stock when lowered - $600 with some used hubs and some brake duct mounts modded on to them... 

I also sold the dash/interior to a handsome gentleman and his patient partner, i did my best to convince her he needed more shed space too. 

Johnny got me the hook up on some rear rotors, popped one on to have a look, nice! 

271512650_143217778083092_5435663556741089522_n.jpg

271541861_143217018083168_2153502269639347225_n.jpg

271546167_143217014749835_1457423113410177431_n.jpg

• Like 3

On 1/14/2022 at 4:59 PM, ActionDan said:

Hey stranger, yeah slow progress but progress none the less. 

I see you didn't die in hospital :D

Good news :)

Funny you mention hospital...I am covid positive now! But thankfully all good besides the usual symptoms!

Some progress is better than none! 

• Sad 1

On 1/6/2022 at 8:42 PM, robbo_rb180 said:

I am having a go at it, just put up first one today. Got another race car to build, at least the category is pretty restricted and has control parts.

I started doing this about 2 years ago, the videoing.

I gave up, i hate editting videos.

But also havent been able to touch my car all last year :(

house settled yesterday, car is already here :D

good to see Dan getting interesting parts and putting things together!

• Like 2

On 1/15/2022 at 8:34 PM, MBS206 said:

Congrats and welcome back :)

Shed skiiiiiiids

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/15/2022 at 8:44 PM, ActionDan said:

Congrats and welcome back :)

Shed skiiiiiiids

No need for shed skids. Theres enough of a concrete pad to hold a summernats burnout comp...

Also need to make it start before it can skid, ha ha ha

On 1/15/2022 at 7:34 PM, MBS206 said:

Sucks not being able to work on the car, I am about to be in same situation in a few weeks.

Got a link to channel?
The editing is time consuming but I am enjoying as learning something new each time and different ways to do things. 

On 1/15/2022 at 9:43 PM, ActionDan said:

No good :(

I've avoided it so far, dunno how long for.

Stay safe. But also don't be too scared. It was a bad flu for me as it will be for 99% of people. 

Back onto cars, i'm taking my car to EC on the 25th Jan. First track day in 11 years! Cant wait to see how it goes. 

• Like 2

On 1/16/2022 at 3:53 PM, SRS13 said:

Stay safe. But also don't be too scared. It was a bad flu for me as it will be for 99% of people. 

Back onto cars, i'm taking my car to EC on the 25th Jan. First track day in 11 years! Cant wait to see how it goes. 

First day in 11 years and what 700hp+ or something? 

Into the weeds lol 

• Haha 1

Sold all the all 4 stud gear, paid for my calipers at least. 

Fitted the other knuckle and tested fitted all calipers/rotors to work out what's needed.

Need R34 GT-T Caliper bolts all round, existing braided lines all work OK, need to drill front knuckle for 14mm so will source that bit, still need pads but need to wait for Intima to get Type RS front and back, in Feb I think Johnny said. Need BM57 (anyone know if that works with R33 booster as i still have that). 

No chance I was getting my spare 17s over the rotor and caliper so to have it rolling I will leave caliper off until I get some 18s. 

Did a little shed tidy after so many projects so I can mess it up again. Keep forgetting to hang my freebie gktech banners I got from the Black Friday sale for extra jdm points. 

20220113_212541.jpg

20220116_150002.jpg

20220116_153153.jpg

• Like 2

Just be aware that cast rims can let you down in an exciting manner of the track, I've soon both Rotas and Enkei fail.

If you are using cast, make sure it is something tough and good quality casting like weds. I try to only use forged for racing even though they cost a bloody fortune

Understood. I do keep it in mind as I will be going slicks and pushing harder, but I have seen plenty of guys running Enkeis and Cosmis etc on slicks on light cars like mine and had no issues. 

The issues seem more prevalent with heavier cars and drifting. 

Is there such thing as a cheap forged 18x10?

Well, I bought brand new, custom BC Racing 18x10s for the GTR from just jap to get the right offset to fit under 23 guards, $4,400 for the set. They are good and strong as proven by crash testing....

Obviously Rays at 3 times that are a no go.

I guess great condition, period forgies are probably going up in price at the same rate as GTRs, but maybe there are some scratched 2nd handies somewhere for a good price, that's what I'd be looking for.

Hopefully the light car thing saves the problem, I suspect the real issue is with side impacts on curbs so driving style would have an impact

Wheel nuts arrived finally from the black friday sale... 

Also this should arrive this week, it's the D7, missus got the Xtrada 7 hardtail, this will allow us to go for rides with the kids but also give me something to do solo/with my mates as a hobby while I keep working on the car. Because Prado's had to be neutered to not cannibalise LC sales, it has a stupid barn door that necessitates a full swinging arm bike rack, managed to find a used yakima full swing for like $350. Early testing with the kids bikes show it to be fiddly AF and probs a pain to get 4 bikes on, see if we need to shell out 1k+ for something else soon enough. 

Basic bikes are stupid money, that's about 4k in pedal bikes that dont come with pedals... you gotta buy those separate and these are just entry level apparently 0_0

No photo description available.

d567-bike-thumb-3.jpg

On 1/18/2022 at 11:14 AM, Duncan said:

Well, I bought brand new, custom BC Racing 18x10s for the GTR from just jap to get the right offset to fit under 23 guards, $4,400 for the set. They are good and strong as proven by crash testing....

Obviously Rays at 3 times that are a no go.

I guess great condition, period forgies are probably going up in price at the same rate as GTRs, but maybe there are some scratched 2nd handies somewhere for a good price, that's what I'd be looking for.

Hopefully the light car thing saves the problem, I suspect the real issue is with side impacts on curbs so driving style would have an impact

Ouch, I don't tend to kerb hope "too" much but Winton has some kerbs that I feel I must use for optimum line etc, all of this could change in the moves to slick and having some power etc. 

I'll just see what's around, I know i can buy brand new Rota's for under $1500 and just send it, Enkei's are closer to 2k, and this is one area I am trying not to go too flash with.