SAU Community

Cool

My Knock sensor count climbs in hot weather at low rpms and boost is reduced

but when its cool like today count is 0 and boost kicks like a mule and car breaks traction in 1st , 2nd & 3rd.

Interesting topic re: Map sensor. I'm running -9's (GT-SS), on a Vipec. My tuner (DVS Jez) also tuned 'around' the 3 Map sensor. I hit 24psi boost as well from 4-5000rpm before it backs down to 21psi up until 8K redline.

14 minutes ago, djvoodoo said:

Interesting topic re: Map sensor. I'm running -9's (GT-SS), on a Vipec. My tuner (DVS Jez) also tuned 'around' the 3 Map sensor. I hit 24psi boost as well from 4-5000rpm before it backs down to 21psi up until 8K redline.

A 3 bar map sensor will read up to 29psi 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, r32-25t said:

A 3 bar map sensor will read up to 29psi 

Fair enough. Mabee i was told incorrect info. Someone mentioned to me that 3 bar absolute is not the actual same as total "boost". And just looking up my Vipec, it's 2.5 bar map sensor or 22ps "boost"i?

Could be completely wrong though.

2 hours ago, ActionDan said:

Wouldn't the wideband see it leaning out - and react accordingly?

but how would your wideband determine you've over boosting? or that you're running way to much timing?

And how would your wideband and or your map sensor determine you've over boosted and cut fuel/igniting to your motor?

Pointless having engine protection that's not protecting a basic thing like exceeding load, in this case boost. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ActionDan said:

I got you, will put an order in tomorrrow.

Let us know how you get on.  While there is a good chance that it is to do with that, there is no guarantee BUT a MAP sensor that suits what you are doing is really a must have imho so not wasted money no matter what way you cut it.    Obviously it'll need remapping to get rid of the guess work on the 250kpa load range - good luck!

On 3/20/2017 at 6:55 PM, ActionDan said:

Any easy way to test them? Boost leak test doesn't help as any leakage stays in the intake so total pressure remains the same.

My BOV's are plumbed back. Leakage past the BOV just ends up back on the hot side of the motor. Total pressure remains the same and given the noises involved in pressuring the system, hard to hear if the BOV is unseating. 

Edited by ActionDan