SAU Community

R33 Headlights questions

R33 Headlights questions

Hello all.

After a few minutes of search on the forum, I don't find some informations thath I need (or I don't used right keywords).

My questions are:
1: What are differences between R33 headlights spec1, spec2 and spec3? what differences? they are all compatible on all r33? or the mounts change?
2: For the Xenon and Hid Headlight, the headlight level is automatic or manual electronic? (if you have high load on the trunk, it corrects the level automatically?)
3: For the Xenon, someone has the dimensions? (like that: https://hidkitpros.com/wp-content/up...dimensions.jpg

Thanks a lot
Greetings from Switzerland

Link doesn't work

Don't put HID kit in your halogen headlights. Don't put LED kit in, they're all shit.

Series 3 GT-R came with factory xenon/HID (bulbs starts with D, not H) http://www.kudosmotorsports.com/catalog/headlight-xenon-nissan-skyline-series-021997-p-534.html

See:

Make sure the (outer) headlight lenses are clear. Use a headlight restoration kit if they are hazy/yellow. Any hazing will reduce output. I think the R33 uses H1, so don't have much of an upgrade besides Osram nightbreakers/Philips x-treme vision. Make sure you aim them properly.

Not sure on the level adjustment, probably not auto/self levelling.

Do a retrofit! It isn't as hard as it seems. Your end result will be so much better.

7 hours ago, niZmO_Man said:

Link doesn't work

Don't put HID kit in your halogen headlights. Don't put LED kit in, they're all shit.

Series 3 GT-R came with factory xenon/HID (bulbs starts with D, not H) http://www.kudosmotorsports.com/catalog/headlight-xenon-nissan-skyline-series-021997-p-534.html

See:

Make sure the (outer) headlight lenses are clear. Use a headlight restoration kit if they are hazy/yellow. Any hazing will reduce output. I think the R33 uses H1, so don't have much of an upgrade besides Osram nightbreakers/Philips x-treme vision. Make sure you aim them properly.

Not sure on the level adjustment, probably not auto/self levelling.

Do a retrofit! It isn't as hard as it seems. Your end result will be so much better.

Thanks a lot for all those infos.

My problem is that I have to convert my headlights to LHD, and if I want to stay with Xenon Headlights, they must have headlight washers and auto/self leveling ajdustement.

9 hours ago, niZmO_Man said:

How strict are they at checking cars when you drive around? You might be able to get away with a Morimoto Mini H1 (switch the bulb to halogen during inspection time).

90's Skylines are RHD so...

With this kit you can use full halogen or HID?

Some other questions, I could preserve the Xenon Headlights, but i can't exceed 2000Lumen.

Some one know how can I do that? What bulb use with stock Xenon headlights?

21 hours ago, niZmO_Man said:

How strict are they at checking cars when you drive around? You might be able to get away with a Morimoto Mini H1 (switch the bulb to halogen during inspection time).

90's Skylines are RHD so...

The morimoto mini h1 are direct replacement on the xenon headlight of R33?

They are really strict.

Or it is possible to have xenon or hid kit with maximum 2000lumens?

I saw that there is hella projectors with magnetic leveling. Maybe its ok but I cannot find that.

No not direct fit. Retrofitting is opening up your headlights and mounting projectors in there. Work can vary quite a lot (read: lots of effort), especially on reflector headlights.

I think you should forgot about those cheap HID kits and focus on improving your current setup. Clear front lenses plus bulbs like the Philips X-treme vision.

OE series 3 GT-R is D2S I believe.

I think you'd be after the 25W D5S/D6S/D7S/D8S, which are supposed to be 2,000lm and not require self levelling/washers.

The point I'm making is, the H1 reflectors are designed for H1 bulb as light source, no benefits gained from throw in anything besides H1 bulbs, if you're after actual performance upgrade. Retrofit projectors from an Audi or something with the 25W HID projectors, or LED projectors from something like Prius V.

6 hours ago, niZmO_Man said:

No not direct fit. Retrofitting is opening up your headlights and mounting projectors in there. Work can vary quite a lot (read: lots of effort), especially on reflector headlights.

I think you should forgot about those cheap HID kits and focus on improving your current setup. Clear front lenses plus bulbs like the Philips X-treme vision.

OE series 3 GT-R is D2S I believe.

I think you'd be after the 25W D5S/D6S/D7S/D8S, which are supposed to be 2,000lm and not require self levelling/washers.

The point I'm making is, the H1 reflectors are designed for H1 bulb as light source, no benefits gained from throw in anything besides H1 bulbs, if you're after actual performance upgrade. Retrofit projectors from an Audi or something with the 25W HID projectors, or LED projectors from something like Prius V.

Nice info mate.

Opening the headlight it's not a problem.

I can replace the d2s with the d5s directly?

I would rather prefer having projectors that reflectors, because it's easy to convert to lhd pattern.

Led projectors? Sounds nice. Do you have other infos about that?

Yeah, replacing projectors isn't a big thing, usually easier than working with reflectors. I have no idea what sizes/shapes the D5/6/7/8 projectors come in, too new for me :P.

LED projectors are another thing you can try, if you can find. I recommend the Koito bi-LED, such as found in Prius V, and other cars like Murano. You'd have to look at wreckers/junk yards and second hand parts places like that. With LED you can usually wire them up easily and not worry about bulbs.

I actually have a bunch coming from Japan, so will see how they go in R32 headlights :D

I'd probably be easier to find 25W HID projectors and fit them into your current headlights. This will require lots of work so I recommend getting a second pair of headlights (doesn't have to be Series 3 HID ones).

But yeah, let us know what you find.