SAU Community

Car Misfiring after a big rainfall.

Car Misfiring after a big rainfall.

Hey everyone,

So being having alot of rain lately but last night was a big heavy one, got in the car this and headed to work a few blocks away the car started misfiring and stuttering. wouldnt rev higher then a couple thousand. it is the second time this has happened after a large amount of rainfall. any ideas on what it could be  ?? no check engine light comes on either.

13 minutes ago, GH05T said:

do you have bonnet vents?

Nah no bonnet vents, my drive way points down tho so the car parks at a slight angle. so water might drip down that way.

4 minutes ago, mighty190 said:

If you have a sunroof, the drains may be blocked and water can leak in around the passenger footwell and the ecu can get wet

i have a sunroof, i will def check that out.

12 minutes ago, Sinista32 said:

also clean your AFM.

Sometimes moisture gets in if your running a POD

Most likely this, the filter that came on the car was a mushroom pod filter one and noticed the other day that it was in a real bad shape. got a new filter on its way.

If there is water around your ecu the easiest way to check if the sunroof drains are blocked is just pour a small amount of water straight down the drains and see if comes out to the ground. If it is blocked you can sometimes just blow compressed air down there to free the blockage

I have the same problem on my rb25 s13 when I drive it in rain... It's moisture getting in through the cooler pipe hole in the guard and the front of the car and being sucked up by the pod ... I even had a small puddle in my cooler once and another time, just recently, I could see moisture droplets in my clear breather lines going from my cam covers to my air oil separator and back into my intake.......E85 doesn't help this situation either hahah

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same issue with my 33 every time it would rain.
It turned out that the pod filter wasn't sitting right and was actually sucking in water. I moved it down and haven't had a problem since.

Bah.  f**king pod filters.  My R32 has a 100mm PVC pipe with forward facing bellmouth behind the brake cooling opening in the front bar, direct into the standard airbox.  Has never given a moment's problem even in torrential rain.

• Like 1