SAU Community

Keep breaking gear box.

MJTru

Hello everyone. I own a r32 gtr thats highly modified. But no gear box mods. For the first time I'm braking Mt gear box one right after the other. I drag race and over the years I have been building more and more power. After my first gear box failure I right away ordered 3 extra gear box.

On a side note I drag race on the air port strip that has no track bite. I keep on breaking 3rd gear no matter how easy it try to shift the gears. I'm simply tired of this. Here is my question.

What do you guys think would be the easiest and cheapest way to hold the stress I'm putting on these gear box. What's crazy is on my lowest setting 10psi I'm breaking by gear box. Like wtf.

I drive hard and I'm unforgiving in hoe I shift. Would a PPG get set work or would your guys recommend a full sequential box. Can anyone provide links to the parts I'll need. I'm simply sick and tired of these box problems.

I was looking around and a pfitzner 800hp 1st to 4th gear set seems right in line with what I need. Has anyone used these.

The PPG gearsets are pretty good but rely on the stock housing / shaft sizes and positioning - ultimately this is what limits the strength of the box as material improvements can only take things so far. The feedback from PPG owners is normally positive (and it should be given the price!) but given what you are saying the OS-88 might be the way to go as a "do it right the first time" approach.

if you are looking to shave even more time off your timeslips while assuring that you aren't spraying gearbox parts everywhere (and I know I am going to be accused of heresy for this..) a built powerglide and suitable converter might potentially be more suitable for your current & future requirements in the end and for less / similar money as trying to put together a bombproof 5speed or going OS-88. 

I really hate to go power glide as I still.want the car to be some what streetable. I'm wondering if I do the gear set and center plate of that will be the solution, as I don't feel I'm making enough power to need a os88. Especially at 11k plus. and a turn around time of 4 months. Here is another queation. If I do go powerglide can I still keep the 4wd system. And where do I source this kind of setup from. ??

If you're gonna spend the amount of coin to go down the PPG dog set, I think you're crazy not to spend the extra little bit more and get a 6 speed of some sort.

A couple years ago I was in a similar situation and after 12 months of debating, I chose the OS88. It woke the car up heaps... the extra cog is worth its weight in gold.

Getrags seem to hold up very well, perhaps that's an option to look at? Anything "higher" then that is crazy money, irrespective of what you decide. It's a bugger of a spot to be in.

• Like 1

Thanks for that link mate.
I was wondering has anyone used the os giken close ratio gear set. Looks like a Cheap in between budget build. I see that's offer from rhdjapan with center plate for around 2800 usd. It's just a thought.

If you're gonna spend the amount of coin to go down the PPG dog set, I think you're crazy not to spend the extra little bit more and get a 6 speed of some sort.

A couple years ago I was in a similar situation and after 12 months of debating, I chose the OS88. It woke the car up heaps... the extra cog is worth its weight in gold.

Getrags seem to hold up very well, perhaps that's an option to look at? Anything "higher" then that is crazy money, irrespective of what you decide. It's a bugger of a spot to be in.

Yeah. I totally agree, as bad as I hate the idea of going down this road. I feel I have no choice. I was just putting some ideas out there to see if there was a cheaper solution, but seems like there's none. Forgive me if I sound uninformed at times. I have never been in this situation before. Drive line issues. What a drag. How did your install go with the os88 if you don't mind shinning some light on the situation. I'm planning on sourcing one from rhdjapan. Also did yours take the 4 months there saying it takes to build. ??

43 minutes ago, MJTru said:

Thanks for that link mate.
I was wondering has anyone used the os giken close ratio gear set. Looks like a Cheap in between budget build. I see that's offer from rhdjapan with center plate for around 2800 usd. It's just a thought.

I busted a second gear.

You need a torquey car to get the best out of those tall ratios. Cheap enough but not THAT strong. Many guys on here have busted them.

IMG_2887.JPG

11 minutes ago, MJTru said:

Yeah. I totally agree, as bad as I hate the idea of going down this road. I feel I have no choice. I was just putting some ideas out there to see if there was a cheaper solution, but seems like there's none. Forgive me if I sound uninformed at times. I have never been in this situation before. Drive line issues. What a drag. How did your install go with the os88 if you don't mind shinning some light on the situation. I'm planning on sourcing one from rhdjapan. Also did yours take the 4 months there saying it takes to build. ??

Mine took 8 months from full payment to receiving it. You also have to pull it apart and fix up the oil breather. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! I have made a post about it all.

The car will be back on the road in a month or so's time. I've so far only done 100 ish kms in it. 

I busted a second gear.
You need a torquey car to get the best out of those tall ratios. Cheap enough but not THAT strong. Many guys on here have busted them.
IMG_2887.thumb.JPG.eeeb3ad993b81e4501b1a751879376d7.JPG

I have made my mind up. 88 is the way.
I see you mention in another thread the oiling problem and a cover that was needed for the breather hole. How did that go.? Your good now. Also have a photo of what you did.? Would be helpful. Also the sensor in the box what was your reason for moving it.?

Just now, MJTru said:

I have made my mind up. 88 is the way.
I see you mention in another thread the oiling problem and a cover that was needed for the breather hole. How did that go.? Your good now. Also have a photo of what you did.? Would be helpful. Also the sensor in the box what was your reason for moving it.?

I don't have the after photos unfortunately. Basically a cover plate went over the breather.

The gear position sensor got changed for something more modern and to be used with a strain gauge nob. The factory one is just a bunch of "switches".

2 hours ago, MJTru said:

I really hate to go power glide as I still.want the car to be some what streetable. I'm wondering if I do the gear set and center plate of that will be the solution, as I don't feel I'm making enough power to need a os88. Especially at 11k plus. and a turn around time of 4 months. Here is another queation. If I do go powerglide can I still keep the 4wd system. And where do I source this kind of setup from. ??

Yes they certainly are able to be done in 4WD - RIPS had a nice setup a while ago in their MEGAWOT vehicle running into the 7's and there are a few companies who make RB AWD adaptors for the powerglides locally (KEAS and a few others). I only suggest the powerglide as they are fairly cheap to build tough (in comparison to other options) and help with getting the car off the line a lot smoother and more reliably than most people can manage with a manual.

2 hours ago, MJTru said:

Rips has built an AWD powerglide. I don't know if he will share the info with but you could try. He would probably sell you a built up unit though.

• Like 1

I have 3 cars that are all 4wd vehicles. The 2 gtrs I really like. So I might just get 2 os88 for those 2. The other one is a mix up machine. It's a gts4 with all gtr parts. All 3 cars are good for about 700 to 800 hp very easily. So I will have to find a cheaper solution for the gts4. Out of a gear sets and a centerplate being os giken. I might as well try the os close ratio gear set for 2800 from rhdjapan japan. The gts4 runs small wheels and street tires so they tend to spin. I think that helps with stress on the drive train. The power glide will be my very last option. After I checked around that's about 10k plus for the complete setup.

I love how in your other thread you were trying to fit the cheapest shitest wheels around but now you are talking of buying 2 boxes that are worth about 18k aud each plus another box worth around 3k like it's nothing at all

• Like 2