SAU Community

Keep breaking gear box.

MJTru

I love how in your other thread you were trying to fit the cheapest shitest wheels around but now you are talking of buying 2 boxes that are worth about 18k aud each plus another box worth around 3k like it's nothing at all

Yeah. I'm complicated. I'll post photos when they arrive. Move on from this. Still love the wheels. It wasn't the price but the look that appealed to me. To the point where I figured out what combo of parts made it fit. But for now it's one os88 box and one set of close ratio gear set.

Don't forget you'll need all the Series 3 33 5 speed updated parts for the OSG 5 speed gear set.

Thanks for all the help Piggaz. Well I'm getting the os88 for my gts4 as that's my real drag car and I don't care to beat it up, and the gear set for my r32 gtr just as a try to so how it goes. The box and gear set including center plate came to under 14k delivered to florida. I got the standard ratio box. I'm now looking for new needle bearings and a set of new syncros for the gear set, along with seals and so forth.This should just be a straight foward as a rebuilt right. ? I'm not aware of the r33 series 3 update parts what's is this all about. Hmmmm?

After I compare the price and results of both I'll make the decision then, to buy a gear set or another os88 for my r33 gtr.
I have lots of work left on my r33 so the timing falls right in line. My gts4 motor is done and ready for install. I'll run a std gear box for now. Testing the motor and waiting for the box and gear set to arrive.
I wish you had shown in detail that oil modification on the inside. Guess it can't be that hard. Does the os88 comes with oil. What grade/type oil do you use mate.
If 8 months is the wait time it will line right up with my biryhday. Great. Long long holidays. What would you say will be the next weak link after that.

1 hour ago, MJTru said:

Thanks for all the help Piggaz. Well I'm getting the os88 for my gts4 as that's my real drag car and I don't care to beat it up, and the gear set for my r32 gtr just as a try to so how it goes. The box and gear set including center plate came to under 14k delivered to florida. I got the standard ratio box. I'm now looking for new needle bearings and a set of new syncros for the gear set, along with seals and so forth.This should just be a straight foward as a rebuilt right. ? I'm not aware of the r33 series 3 update parts what's is this all about. Hmmmm?

After I compare the price and results of both I'll make the decision then, to buy a gear set or another os88 for my r33 gtr.
I have lots of work left on my r33 so the timing falls right in line. My gts4 motor is done and ready for install. I'll run a std gear box for now. Testing the motor and waiting for the box and gear set to arrive.
I wish you had shown in detail that oil modification on the inside. Guess it can't be that hard. Does the os88 comes with oil. What grade/type oil do you use mate.
If 8 months is the wait time it will line right up with my biryhday. Great. Long long holidays. What would you say will be the next weak link after that.

I'll post up the parts needed for the OSG 5 speed when I get home. I have posted them a few times before but no idea what thread they would be in.

88 oil I use Motul 75W-140.

https://www.motul.com/gb/en/products/gear-competition-75w140

the new style of 88's have a deeper sump. They take 3.6 L ish from memory.

Guys look at this video. How is this guy shifting with no clutch. Looks like he launches with the clutch but after it doesn't even look like he's lifting off the gas to shift. Is this the box doing this. ??

He is partially lifting the throttle to unload the box and "pre loading" the lever to pull it out and into the next gear. 

There doesn't look like there is a strain gauge installed on that setup.

OS Giken 5 speed parts for early to late box.

32604 - 30P60 Ring Baulk 1
32604 - 30P61 Ring Baulk 1
32604 - 40P61 Ring Baulk 1
32606 - 30P10 Sleeve-CPRG, 5th 1
32611 - AA510 Sleeve-CPRG, 5th 1
32605 - 310P11 Hub Synchro 1
32811 - 05U10 Fork shift 1
32609 - 70L15 Insert shifting 3
32603 – 30P00 Spring shifting 2

I believe these are all the parts needed to go from an early 32/33 box to the S3 gear for the OSG close ratio 3/5 speed.

• Like 1

Ok I realy slowed down this video and saw that he lifts off the gas then hit the gears. He's good at it. I must say. I am aware of flat shifting. But I'm not sure how it works in detail. I'm sure that through failure I'll learn all about it. This box is the part that will force me to drop the power fc and us the Haltech ecus I have just sitting around. What exactly does the ecu does what its set up for flat shifting. I'm guessing it's something to do with timing.?????
Also I'm guessing a strain sensor /gauge, I can't see it being a gauge. But a sensor that aids in shifting. In short so you don't have to lift of the throttle to shift the ecu would use this signal to do something with timing to allow a gear change. Hmm
Sorry if I sound like an idiot here. I'm trying. Like I have always done. Sorry.

• Like 1

The ECU will reduce timing advance to reduce torque to make the shift happen.  It can also close the e-throttle a bit if available.

A strain-gauge is not a gauge with a dial.  It is a piezoelectronic sensor that "gauges" the strain (ie the load applied) on something.  The sensors in your electronic kitchen/bathroom scales are strain gauges.  They output a variable voltage depending on the force/pressure applied.  This makes them ideal for measuring when someone is pushing the gear shifter with intent to change.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MJTru said:

Ok I realy slowed down this video and saw that he lifts off the gas then hit the gears. He's good at it. I must say. I am aware of flat shifting. But I'm not sure how it works in detail. I'm sure that through failure I'll learn all about it. This box is the part that will force me to drop the power fc and us the Haltech ecus I have just sitting around. What exactly does the ecu does what its set up for flat shifting. I'm guessing it's something to do with timing.?????
Also I'm guessing a strain sensor /gauge, I can't see it being a gauge. But a sensor that aids in shifting. In short so you don't have to lift of the throttle to shift the ecu would use this signal to do something with timing to allow a gear change. Hmm
Sorry if I sound like an idiot here. I'm trying. Like I have always done. Sorry.

First thing first, throw the Power FC in the trash can. You're talking about implementing systems into the car that it just cannot do. That and it's 2017, not 2001.

Right, I have attached a few photo's of my own setup here.

The sensor in the gearbox spins as the drum turns. For example, 1st gear may be from 0.5 V to 1.1 V. 2nd gear may be from 1.1V to 1.6 V. You set the parameters in the ECU. 

The strain gauge I have uploaded a photo of it and the specs of it also. It's the "motorsport systems" unit (The Australian one, not the Motorsport Systems from the UK)

These two items add roughly another $2,000 AUD to the total cost of the box but means no liftings going up gears, just pulling the stick.

Here is a link of Craig Loundes using the same nob coupled with a Albins box. 

Gear position sensor.jpg

Motorsport Systems gearnob specs MS-GLCA1 Datasheet V1.4.pdf

Strain gauge gear nob.jpg

• Like 1

I can see how the knob works to tell the ecu to cut or advance the timing for the shift. But what's the sensor in the box for how do the 2 of them work together. When you said the spinning drum is where I got lost abit. Isn't that sensor looking at the speed of the secondary shaft??
Thanks for all the info. I'm trying to get all the help I can until this box arrives. Rhdjapan said it's 4 months so I hope it won't me 8.
Just learn that's I'll need a new clutch damn shaft is 27 spline. Not normal nissan 24 spline.
Flat shifting would be so great and it's a very good incentive to us my Haltech PS2000.
This ecu can do all of these things??
Sorry again guys I never really mest with it.

48 minutes ago, MJTru said:

I can see how the knob works to tell the ecu to cut or advance the timing for the shift. But what's the sensor in the box for how do the 2 of them work together. When you said the spinning drum is where I got lost abit. Isn't that sensor looking at the speed of the secondary shaft??
Thanks for all the info. I'm trying to get all the help I can until this box arrives. Rhdjapan said it's 4 months so I hope it won't me 8.
Just learn that's I'll need a new clutch damn shaft is 27 spline. Not normal nissan 24 spline.
Flat shifting would be so great and it's a very good incentive to us my Haltech PS2000.
This ecu can do all of these things??
Sorry again guys I never really mest with it.

Watch that.

You will need to change the clutch. Im running a OSG R3C. It's actually a very nice clutch to use. Apparantly they changed something in the design of it it at some stage. No idea with the Haltech. Never used one, know nothing about them.

Thanks I've actually seen that. I can't believe I watch it again. So what ecu do you use Piggaz.
Does anyone know if this is possible.??

9 minutes ago, MJTru said:

Thanks I've actually seen that. I can't believe I watch it again. So what ecu do you use Piggaz.
Does anyone know if this is possible.??

https://emtronaustralia.com.au/shop/category/product/?catid=1&prodid=1

Emtron KV8 im using.

The car goes in on the 19th to get wired up and tuned. I'll take some video's and post them up. Hopefully late April/early May.

• 6 months later...
On 4/12/2017 at 3:29 AM, Piggaz said:

OS Giken 5 speed parts for early to late box.

32604 - 30P60 Ring Baulk 1
32604 - 30P61 Ring Baulk 1
32604 - 40P61 Ring Baulk 1
32606 - 30P10 Sleeve-CPRG, 5th 1
32611 - AA510 Sleeve-CPRG, 5th 1
32605 - 310P11 Hub Synchro 1
32811 - 05U10 Fork shift 1
32609 - 70L15 Insert shifting 3
32603 – 30P00 Spring shifting 2

I believe these are all the parts needed to go from an early 32/33 box to the S3 gear for the OSG close ratio 3/5 speed.

Hello Piggaz, one of these parts numbers isn't right (32605-310p11) that doesn't seem right,  also can you list the quantity i will need for this set up, i'm planning on trying to do a os 5speed gear set build, i'm going to get the billet center plate as well, 

I have a R33 box here along with 3 R32 boxes can you please take some time to explain what i"m up against here. I want to make the order From RHD japan as soon as possible so any help would be appropriated.