SAU Community

Changes to import laws

foibles

Changes to import laws

There was a lot of hype and promise around changes to vehicle importing legislation about a year ago. However, it seems most of this has completely disappeared off the legislative radar.

I thought 3 changes were planned;

1. Allowing Australians to import a new car

2. Reducing prohibitions of used cars by relaxing the year of manufacture from pre-1989, to a 25 year rule

3. Changes to SEVS

It now seems only Item 1 is due to get up (in fact it is now 'going to happen') - however even this appears to have been massively watered down. From what I can see, the rules are pretty onerous, but essentially, mean that Australians are limited to obtaining a RHD car from UK or Japan that is 12 months old at most (presumably by the time it rolls into a RAWS workshop - meaning 9 months when it is purchased overseas) and 500klms max (meaning 450klms for safety's sake lest those managing the logistics take it for a drive.....certainly no driving a car on trade plates to a RAWS...lest the 500klms be breached).

From what I can see.....there's little scope for anyone to be interested in privately importing such a car - simply because the time, the risks and the issues (no warranty, etc), but mainly - the lack of depreciation as the car is essentially still a demonstrator model - mean we'd be better off buying the locally delivered model.

I can see some scope for those who want cars that beat waiting lines at the showroom.....or special requests on specs.....but not really an economic advantage.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

If you want to keep up to date with this, I suggest following the Facebook page for (and titled as) the ''Australian Imported Motor Vehicle Industry Association''. 

I believe they're the ones spearheading the whole ordeal, correct me if I'm wrong (I'm out of the loop at the moment).

There is some useful information on their page. 

• Like 1