SAU Community

Rusted on nuts, how to remove

Rusted on nuts, how to remove

Just saw this vid and thought it would be good to share it, I haven't used it myself, but the vid looks impressive.

http://www.chonday.com/Videos/rusnutcankj4

Not sure which forum to use, mods can move it to maintenance or tutorials etc if they see fit.

• Like 1

OK so far the myth is busted. I have an old boat trailer which has been in the sea plenty of times so wheel nuts are pretty rusty.

I applied the candle and held the lighter under the nut til my fingers burnt (about a minute).

I tried the standard power bar with no effect. (BTW it was 24 deg outside)

If you look at the last pic you will see pieces of the candle which shows how hard I was holding it against the nut. It is my opinion that the lighter can't generate enough heat to heat the nut/stud to the point where they will melt the candle wax. After all the axle etc will act as a heat sink. I have applied CRC to another nut and will give the lighter/candle another go (not to the nut with the CRC) tomorrow and compare it with the CRC soaked nut.

I have in fact removed a wheel on the other side by soaking it in CRC and using a pipe on the end of the power bar. Thought the candle might be easier but its not looking good!

DSCF0831.JPG

DSCF0834.JPG

DSCF0832.JPG

DSCF0833.JPG

• Like 1

In the video it looks like he melts the wax between the stud and the nut. The nut in the vid looks thinner than yours so it may have heated up enough to wick some wax into the thread. 
A jet lighter or small plumbing gas torch would get some more heat on the thicker nut.

Yeah I think the situation the video shows it is wrong. From what i've heard the best application is on exhaust nuts and bolts that may have rusted together. The wax supposedly lubes the rust rather than the rust in the thread galling and seizing the nut when undoing it.

It's nothing a bit of dubbya dee or crc can't handle though.

Google Chemresearch Yield. Thats all you need 

But can it remove RB crank sprockets is the true test of any lubricant. Especially 25 year old rusted on RB30 ones. If yes I will buy some today. Have had so many mates reccomend different products and still nothing works very well, it seems nothing can get in between the crank and the sprocket.

Crank sprocket. The big sprocket behind the harmomic balancer that you have to remove to change the oil pump or front main seal. It either practically falls off or takes the power of Thor using 11 pry bars to get off. No amount of spraying any sort of 'release liquid' works.