SAU Community

RB20 Turbo selection (twinscroll housing advice)

This is some result form an ATR43SS1 Turbo in bush bearing. It made 227rwkws @ 17psi on Pump 98 fuel. I've used the same turbo with BB core on my R34.2  with an RB20det (running with melted cyc 6) which is very responsive.

rb20det225rwkw.jpg

rb20det225rwkwboost.jpg

Green boost curve: Same turbo with BB's core. 

15589628_10154306680648865_5979545858977

About 2 months too slow Tao, I asked if you were going to continue with testing on RB20 and you said it was too much hassle for little gain with all the problems you were having. Ended up going with an EFR6758.

Third pic isn't loading for me either btw

• Like 1

19 hours ago, hypergear said:

Green boost curve: Same turbo with BB's core. 

So around 900rpm improvement in response from BB core??

Is that a typical result??? seems like a lot

*Sorry, should be in hypergear thread

On topic, can't wait to hear it with that manifold! Would like to change the manifold on mine, but cant pull the trigger cost wise, just for the noise. If I could justify a jump in performance aswell, I could maybe do it, haha

18 hours ago, iruvyouskyrine said:

About 2 months too slow Tao, I asked if you were going to continue with testing on RB20 and you said it was too much hassle for little gain with all the problems you were having. Ended up going with an EFR6758.

Hitting 15psi by 4000rpm (picked that because the curve to 17psi rolls over a little presumably because of boost control so saying full boost at 4700rpm makes it sound much worse than it is) and making 227kw @ hubs, which is a healthy result - but to be honest, it may be my 16G fanboism coming out but I feel that one of those would happily do that power on 98 too, but with significantly better response.   His ball bearing equivalent shows 18psi by 4000rpm, which is more like what I'd expect from the 16G but of course DBB also offers transient response improvements (the old "Dyno doesn't show it" stuff) so that sounds a bit like it'd be quite a nice turbo on an RB20, especially if it's not expensive.

Either way, neither turbo are twin scroll - let alone EFRs, so probably a bit off topic here.

Edited by Lithium

Might be 6 years too late. The date on that graph says 2011, lol.

8 hours ago, admS15 said:

Might be 6 years too late. The date on that graph says 2011, lol.

:D yes thats when they were first developed.The turbo is ATR28SS15 based, it maxed out at 281rwkws P98 fuel on an worked SR20det, on a stock cammed Rb20det it should be maxing some where towards the 250rwkws depending on mods. 

I bought a R32 GTS4 late last year and trailed a bunch of other wheel and housing combinations and that is still the best one, BB improved transit response and made the turbo came in with very light throttle movement. Unfortunately I've picked up a bad car, its unfit for the building purpose, I might get another one to continue this venture when I see something come up decent. 

Keen to hear more about the intake manifold and any dramas fitting it up.

I've got a complete RB26 intake, throttles etc and adapter plate sitting here waiting to go, just need an RB30 thermostat housing.
It will be replacing my current FF manifold so I'm hoping not too many gotchas.

Keen to hear more about the intake manifold and any dramas fitting it up.

I've got a complete RB26 intake, throttles etc and adapter plate sitting here waiting to go, just need an RB30 thermostat housing.
It will be replacing my current FF manifold so I'm hoping not too many gotchas.

I'm using the otaku garage adapter on mine. They fit fine on RB25 but on RB20 there is only a bees dick of clearance to the Thermostat housing. You actually have to scallop the coolant rail that runs under the 26 manifold to make it fit, and even then doing that will be a tight fit.

I have some pics of it but they are on my computer, will post them up here when I get a chance

#twinscrollislife 
You planning to ceramic coat or wrap that manifold? 

Neither, it's far too beautiful for that! It should go purple and gold being the hypertune 347ss. If it starts to fade or look shitty after a couple of years I will ceramic coat in titanium.

Nope wasn't me, I live in the land of the harshest vehicle laws in the world (aka straya)

I'm yet to try it as I have been away from the car for 4 weeks but will be getting stuck into it when I get home. I will keep this thread updated for you to follow [emoji106]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...