SAU Community

2017 GTR FESTIVAL - Club entries (EXEC THREAD)

Grease

2017 GTR FESTIVAL - Club entries (EXEC THREAD)

2017-GT-R-Festival-Logo-over-white-with-dates.thumb.jpg.a1b9dc396669e24002abc2c0094cd2d0.jpg

ahoy hoy,

Entries are now under way for the Nitto Performance 2017 GTR festival hosted by Motive DVD.

Once again SAU NSW has a large input with arranging the Heritage Display, Club Display and running the Tarmac Rally. As well as having a bunch of members working during the actual event. (if you would like to help out with the event please see thread in members section GTR FESTIVAL - Volunteers needed the more the merrier)

If you would like to like to be apart of the SAU NSW Club display please fill out the below form and return to [email protected] (not Todd) We will be collating entries and submitting as a club display. Entries will have a closing date (TBA) If you are entering the Tarmac rally on the day please just mention that in your email as we will put you closer to the staging area so we don't have heaps of cars driving through the display.

http://motivedvd.com/motive/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/2017-GT-R-Festival-Display-Entry-Form.pdf

If you would also like to be in the Drag event, use the below entry form but please send that one through to Todd and just mention in the email you will be apart of the SAU club display as well.

http://motivedvd.com/motive/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/2017-GT-R-Festival-Drag-Racing-Entry-Form.pdf

If you have any questions let us know.

We are really looking forward to an even bigger and better event! see you all there.

OK...... Thanks for the update.

I have 2 cars that I plan to enter in the Heritage Display that have been approved.

Do I fill out the above form and try to fit two cars on it or do I fill out two separate forms per car and at what cost each?

$45.00 per car seems high compared to last year.

Cheers,

Bob.

Arr heritage is a different kettle of fish Raj and Terry are handling the heritage display. This is for the club display. Ill let them chime in on whats best. 

Is it a charity event?
Who do the profits of the event go to?
If not a charity event, people should be payed for there time not volunteer.
Big jump in price from $30 to $45.
I would still consider going if profits went to a worthwhile charity.

I cannot tell you exactly who the profits go to. The volunteers are mainly to help the club, as most financial club members know we are a not for profit organisation so every cent that comes in goes back into the club. If people are allocated to help out the main event they would be given something from Motive DVD, whether its free merch, lunch in the corporate box or even paid, it all depends on what you actually do. Just remember that putting these events on cost's a huge amount of money, protecting your investment is key to being able to run these events year on year. If you have any concerns please feel free to message me. 

This is a tricky one and I too highlighted my concerns to an executive a couple of weeks ago.

This is my take on the whole thing and I’ve been around these types of events for many many years.

Scenario 1, the way most people look at an event like this –.

This event has the makings of a fantastic day that could not happen without the motivation of the organisers. People pay their money, have fun, meet new friends, learn a heap of stuff and go home happy......... So what’s wrong with that?  Nothing unless you want to look a bit deeper.

The Reality.

The organisers and coordinators have identified an opportunity to put on an event which should secure them a healthy return on their investment. This is not a charity event or a Club run event although club involvement has either been asked for or offered. It is a commercial proposition to make money.

Sponsors pay to display their goods and services to a target market and expect to also get a decent return on their investment.

The public pay at the gate and are confronted with a conga line of GT-R’s never seen before. For $20 or their about they can stay there for hours looking and learning all things GT-R. Pretty good deal, I’m sure we all agree.

The entrants, we pay to provide our cars as the entertainment for the organisers to make money? Am I missing something here? Our cars drag in the sponsors and public to pay and then for that privilege, we pay too! INSANE, doesn't happen in any other business environment where the drawcard has to pay to be there.

In my opinion the entrant fee should be FREE but the public should pay more to offset the cost.That will then further encourage owners to bring their cars to attend. I met heaps of people last year that didn't bring their cars but were happy to look at ours and they paid LESS to do that than we did as entrants!

Quick question, When Adele recently played in front of 500,000 people around Australia, did she have to pay for that privilege or did she get paid? I think we all know the answer to that.

I have two cars confirmed for the Heritage display. The first is my 60,000km 2 owner R32 GT-R ADM, 100% bog stock standard including radio, suspension and exhaust. The second is an identical 1994 white R32 GT-R. I think to have two factory fresh cars, 1 ADM and 1 JDM side by side in perfectly stock condition is something many people would like to see and has never been seen before in public. There are still a lot of people that don’t know Australia was the only country in the world outside of Japan that officially sold the R32 GT-R throughout Nissan Dealerships. A drawcard in my opinion. I’m happy to show people the differences between the cars and provide my knowledge free of charge. That’s what car enthusiast do, no issues.

So......I have to pay an entry fee for two cars. The ADM is not registered so I need to pay for an unregistered vehicle permit for the day. That requires a trip to my local RMS and we all know how much fun that is. I then need to change my insurance arrangements for one day as it's only on laid up cover at home, not on the roads and then take the risk that some moron does hit me going or coming from the event and deal with Police pulling me over because it doesn’t have number plates.

So, to sum up, my commitment to attend this show is in excess of $100 plus the risks and inconveniences involved in bringing the two cars. Once again I have no issues with this, I know from the start what I’m up for and it’s my call if I want to do it or not. At this point in time I’m doing it.

The part that really gets me is the call for volunteers......... Come in spinner. I know that they have been promised some form of remuneration and that’s fine, it’s each individuals call whether they want to do it or not. I just hope that those who don’t want to do it like me are not ostracised by others. The first person that asks me to mark out grid positions or run errands or co-ordinate anything will be politely reminded that I'm a customer, not a member of staff.

The organisers will always say that the fees that have to be paid to Sydney Motorsport Park and ALL the other costs such as Insurance and legislative requirements need to be recouped and at best the event breaks even blah blah blah . Trust me, as someone who has been in business for over 35 years if an event like this doesn't attain a decent return on the investment then nobody in their right mind would contemplate hosting it. Weather is the only uncontrollable factor that can affect the profitability of the day. Many business, (mine included) suffers from this problem, you just need to work on worse case scenarios.

Please don’t get me wrong, I certainly don't have a problem with people making a profit, I encourage it and have been spruiking about this event for ages but I do find it annoying that volunteers are requested in a business environment.

If I go to a restaurant as a patron, I expect good service from professional people. This show is no different. It is the organiser’s responsibility to provide a professional coordinated environment. Is that going to be the case when volunteers are involved? Hopefully, but like many things in life, you normally get what you pay for!

Sorry for the rant!

Bob.

• Like 3

Well put Bob.
I also have no problem with people, businesses, organisations making a profit but
I have a really real problem with corruption and people being use/exploited to line some fat cats pockets.
Not to say that's what happening here or at least I hope it's not.

While i personally don't volunteer for a for-profit event, I don't think it's fair to assume the cats are very fat in this case.

Much more likely this is a marginally profitable event when run with volunteer assistance, run by a business who's owner likes GTRs. 

Let's face it, if Skyline displays were super profitable everyone would be doing it, including SAU running a huge show n shine for instance.  I reckon in this case the event couldn't go ahead without volunteer assistance. If/when it is successful, don't worry they will drop our assistance like a hot potato. Just look at how much we helped superlap in the first few years and how quickly they brushed us when things started going well for them

I do agree display should be free at a for profit event through.

• Like 2

I'll leave you with this thought......

• 2,000 Members of the public (Maybe heaps more) visiting the event at $20 per head = $40,000.00
  • 300 Entrants at $45 per head (Maybe more) = $13,500.00
  • 10-12 Major Trade Stands at $4000 per stand, say $44,000.00
  • 6-10 Minor Trade Stands At $2000 per stand, about $16,000.00

Worse case scenario nearly $113,500.00 LESS OPERATING COSTS ..........

And they need volunteers?

Bob.

• Like 1

Can tell you, SAU as a club alone can't afford to hire this venue or hold this type of event.  I think Duncan hits the nail on the head quite well.

As a club, we try to get involved in these events to help out and build relationships with workshops and places like Motive DVD that will then help us in the future.  For example, Motive coming to our track day a few weeks after this event.

No one will be persecuted or looked at any differently should they choose not to volunteer.

5 hours ago, Aussie_Delivered_R32_GTR said:

I'll leave you with this thought......

• 2,000 Members of the public (Maybe heaps more) visiting the event at $20 per head = $40,000.00
  • 300 Entrants at $45 per head (Maybe more) = $13,500.00
  • 10-12 Major Trade Stands at $4000 per stand, say $44,000.00
  • 6-10 Minor Trade Stands At $2000 per stand, about $16,000.00

Worse case scenario nearly $113,500.00 LESS OPERATING COSTS ..........

And they need volunteers?

Bob.

These numbers are a little off man. I get the point you're trying to make, and it's valid, but from what I can tell these figures aren't really close.

The most expensive trade stand (12x6 or 9x9 + 2 car spaces) is $600. Comes with 5 staff passes, and you can buy extras for $20 and extra car spots for $40. Correct me if this information is wrong.

Spectator passes at the gate are actually $30, but $15 if you're under 18. So on average you may be right. 2,000 people through the gate for such a car-specific event feels ambitious, I don't know why. Anyone know what the numbers were last year? I may be way off on that assumption.

One thing I will give you that you haven't accounted for are drag race entries. Early bird $90, after May 1st $120, on the day $150. I doubt there will be enough of them to make a dent but its extra $ nonetheless. 

So anyway if they get 20 trade stands like you've assumed, it's more like $12,000 at the absolute maximum (as opposed to $60,000), if everyone buys the largest stand at $600. They start at $250 and go to $350, $400 and $600.

I'm skeptical about the idea of this event being a major money maker. I know for fact some people have done their a$$ trying to run events at SMSP. 

Edited by ADP91

OK...... Fair enough, I'm in the sporting good industry and know what trade stands cost. That's ridiculously cheap!

2000 people is nothing, advertise it on Facebook and see what happens.

Be that as it may, is it fair that Joe Public can walk in, spend all day there with no risk or headache and pay less money than an entrant that helps create the event?

That's my issue, sorry.

Bob.

51 minutes ago, Aussie_Delivered_R32_GTR said:

OK...... Fair enough, I'm in the sporting good industry and know what trade stands cost. That's ridiculously cheap!

2000 people is nothing, advertise it on Facebook and see what happens.

Be that as it may, is it fair that Joe Public can walk in, spend all day there with no risk or headache and pay less money than an entrant that helps create the event?

That's my issue, sorry.

Bob.

That's a fair point to make, like I said. I'm guessing price structures are based on volume, and the assumption is that they're charging everyone regardless so the cheaper tickets go to the spectators who make up the majority of sales.

Of course we then arrive at your other point of whether its appropriate to charge participants at all. I'm not sure where I sit on that one. Is there a separate insurance policy that covers your property whilst it's on site at the event? Is there a security team patrolling the display area? There might be things we're overlooking. if you have to question one thing, it would be the apparent 50% price rise over last year. I'm sure there is a reason, and some clarity may help ease peoples minds. 

@GTR-N1 have you guys got all the classics for the heritage display? If not I mite be able to put you in contact with some earlier models( I own C110 tribute and Prince GTB). I know Kev taking the Hako......

im doing the All Japan qld day tho ?

• Like 2

I'll ask you to PM Fiji_Gold (aka Raj on Fb) as he's in charge this year for the Heritage GTR Display. 
Yes, we're interested.
Thank you!!! [emoji4]

Lol @ the fb auto emoji due to the bracket.

Hi guys,

I have finally received info on the pricing for the heritage display this year. We are currently looking at $35 entry per car for heritage participants (which gives you a 'prime spot' which non heritage members will pay extra for).

I have sent out an email to all participants for heritage display requesting for the forms to be filled in and sent back to me.

We need to get all forms in asap and send it to Motive so they can work out the parking and mapping of the venue.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
what up ,

Can you pay on the day and enter the display area ,then watch the drags.

No.

If you want your car on display for heritage, you need to enter and pay beforehand.

Spectating the drags will require you to purchase a spectator ticket which is $30 on the day.