SAU Community

A Hell of a lot of questions

Turbyo

So My name is Ben, I'm 18 and I'm on here to get some advice. I've always LOVED Nissans, from 240z's to R35's and even Patrols.

I'm looking at buying a 2001 R34 25gt with 76,000k's and minimal mods. I'm super interested but I know nothing about them. It seems really clean but is there anything I should watch out for. My mechanic mate said they are pretty reliable but not crazy fast, (I'm on my greens so crazy fast is kinda off the table anyway) and also what kind of reasonable mods I could do, like would sticking a turbo on it be an easyish option or is it a freaking nightmare. I figured a forum about skylines would know the most about this topic. Thanks [emoji1360] Ben

Also they're asking about 10k for it, is that way too much or cheap for the car?

Yeah, I was thinking about that as well... but the rb life calls and it's hard to resist. I know it'll be way better to get a gtt or even a gtr and it's probably what I'll end up doing. Thanks for the advice tho, [emoji1362]

2 hours ago, niZmO_Man said:

You can buy N/A R34, drive around with it as is, then sell it to a P-plater once you're off your Ps.

I took this route. Theres always another p plater to offload the car to when you are done lol however you will most definitely have lost money in the end.

Or just buy a shit box until your off your p's. put the left over money towards the car you actually want to own when you have your fulls.

• Like 1

The turbo is an OK car.

There are many more fun P plater cars. The skyline really is a non-special commuter car with cool looking styling in NA form. It *IS* a camry, if a camry looked OK.

For a fun NA P plater car? Honda Honda Honda Honda Honda. Integra R, Civic R, S2000.
Honorable mention to older Renault Clios/Meganes etc.
See also: MX5. NC's are cheap and swapping the diff ratio to the USA one gets you a 0-100 in 6 seconds and a lot of fun doing anything else in it.
Not a bad way to spend 4 years.

Way better than a N/A R34.
Source: Own a turbo 34 with a lot of things done to it. The lust for something super light and revvy that you can treat like a bad bad thing around corners is real, it is genuine fun.

• Like 1

The turbo is an OK car.
There are many more fun P plater cars. The skyline really is a non-special commuter car with cool looking styling in NA form. It *IS* a camry, if a camry looked OK.

For a fun NA P plater car? Honda Honda Honda Honda Honda. Integra R, Civic R, S2000.
Honorable mention to older Renault Clios/Meganes etc.
See also: MX5. NC's are cheap and swapping the diff ratio to the USA one gets you a 0-100 in 6 seconds and a lot of fun doing anything else in it.
Not a bad way to spend 4 years.
Way better than a N/A R34.
Source: Own a turbo 34 with a lot of things done to it. The lust for something super light and revvy that you can treat like a bad bad thing around corners is real, it is genuine fun.

Hahaha it's funny you say that it is a Camry because my for mentioned mechanic mate dailys a Camry and said that it would be similar speed and handling

So this is sort of a long shot question that probably won't end up ever happening but what are the consequences of driving say a r32 gtst on your p's, I know they aren't legal in Nsw but are cops really cluey when it comes to them, is it worth the risk or is it best as you said to get something crappy until I get my full license

Honestly its not worth the risk and worry.

I know a few of people that drove turbo and v8 cars around half way through their P's and never got caught. They kept their cars very clean and stock looking. no stupid jdm cop bait stickers, not slammed, quiet exhaust etc.
If you get in an accident you won't get insured if you are driving a prohibited vehicle.

If your deadset on a skyline just get an r34 na manual. Just don't bother with any engine mods and leave exhaust stock. Just do handling mods, a nice set of wheels and keep it clean.

Like others said, if you have the patience then get a cheap corolla and save your money for a nice r34 gtt when your off your P's

• Like 1