SAU Community

Paddle Shifter Electronics

260DET

Paddle Shifter Electronics

It's complicated to explain but basically involves alternative shifting between a overdrive unit and an automatic transmission using just a paddle shift arrangement. Usually such shifting is done using a sequential manual shifter for the trans with a button controlling the overdrive unit, the sequence being manual shift, overdrive shift, manual shift, overdrive shift and so on. Paddle shifting is not essential it's just that with a manual shifter there can be no gaps in between for the overdrive unit to shift.

I'll have to solve the problem myself but tips and sources for made up circuits that may be useful would help a lot. May have to educate myself on basic electronics too.

I've got a s2 arx stagea that would be very interested in a paddle shift setup once in the tiptronic mode (need to make sure my other half can drive it still).. was thinking maybe the g35 paddles could Frankenstein in and I know the bell works kit bolts in with ease.. would be super keen to know if what I am after is possible.. don't know if I'm off topic with what your writing or not..

• 1 month later...

Load of cobblers. Paddle shift is not going to give you 30% more power and torque. Existing controls will allow you to hang on to max revs in gears or change down early.  A paddle shifter on its own will not transform your car into a rally car or F1 race car. More of a problem on newer cars is the fly by wire throttle control. Look up ways to sharpen that up instead.

• Like 1

Load of cobblers. Paddle shift is not going to give you 30% more power and torque. Existing controls will allow you to hang on to max revs in gears or change down early.  A paddle shifter on its own will not transform your car into a rally car or F1 race car. More of a problem on newer cars is the fly by wire throttle control. Look up ways to sharpen that up instead.

The video explains how to shift at higher RPMs for added performance compared to not shifting to at redline. Comparing the two options the former will shift with 30% more HP/torque compared to the latter.

But that is specific to THAT car.  My car makes peak power at 6950 rpm.  Redline at 7400.  Power at redline?  About 5% less than at peak.  Time lost changing +/- 500 rpm either side of redline?  Approximately f**k all.  Such videos are stupid, by stupid, for stupid.

If that video helps you, you need alot more help.

I like the final comment, cos I skipped pretty much all of it.

"When down shifting to increase power during a launch remember to upshift before reaching redline to prevent engine damage" lol

But that is specific to THAT car.  My car makes peak power at 6950 rpm.  Redline at 7400.  Power at redline?  About 5% less than at peak.  Time lost changing +/- 500 rpm either side of redline?  Approximately f**k all.  Such videos are stupid, by stupid, for stupid.

Not all cars are the same. The vast majority of engines have more power at the higher RPMs.

Why your car loses power at higher RPMs is very strange. You should probably take it to a shop and have a mechanic take a look.

You probably broke it or are going something wrong.

20 minutes ago, redcarsonly said:

The video explains how to shift at higher RPMs for added performance compared to not shifting to at redline. Comparing the two options the former will shift with 30% more HP/torque compared to the latter.

But you don't need paddle shifters to achieve your aims whatever they may be. If you read the manual and learn to drive properly you can change gear at max revs, less than max revs, kick down to a lower gear etc etc

1 minute ago, redcarsonly said:

Not all cars are the same. The vast majority of engines have more power at the higher RPMs.

Why your car loses power at higher RPMs is very strange. You should probably take it to a shop and have a mechanic take a look.

You probably broke it or are going something wrong.

That concern for his completely normal power delivery is cute ;)

If that video helps you, you need alot more help.

I like the final comment, cos I skipped pretty much all of it.
"When down shifting to increase power during a launch remember to upshift before reaching redline to prevent engine damage" lol

And what's wrong with that? Should you not upshift and damage your engine?

But you don't need paddle shifters to achieve your aims whatever they may be. If you read the manual and learn to drive properly you can change gear at max revs, less than max revs, kick down to a lower gear etc etc

The video strictly covers cars with automatic transmissions not manuals.

1 minute ago, redcarsonly said:

And what's wrong with that? Should you not upshift and damage your engine?

Its kind of stating the obvious and in any case any modern auto will change up when you hit the maximum speed for that gear anyway. As for the best place to change up it depends on a lot of things but on my Stagea it would normally be at 6000 if you look at my charts (attached)

A manual is a book that tells you how to operate the car!

2013.11.21 Power & Torque 001.jpg

Its kind of stating the obvious and in any case any modern auto will change up when you hit the maximum speed for that gear anyway. As for the best place to change up it depends on a lot of things but on my Stagea it would normally be at 6000 if you look at my charts (attached)
A manual is a book that tells you how to operate the car!
5944b7978fe14_2013_11.21PowerTorque001.thumb.jpg.ef7f97a68fd334c28a9455203d3d9d27.jpg

The video was shot under the assumption that not everyone is as knowledgeable about their transmission.

Sure most transmissions will shift automatically but constant improper use can damage your engine. Every transmission has limits and shifting too late, too often, can and will most likely damage your engine.

3 hours ago, redcarsonly said:

Its a valid concern.

His engine is operating abnormally.

I'd be very concerned if I were him.

Oh, my goodness.  What a lot of rot.  My car is operating 100% completely as you would expect it to.  Not only that, but it was only the dyno on Wednesday getting the tune touched up and it is operating better today than it was a few days ago!!!

Peak power at very nearly 7000 rpm is just about perfect.  Anyone who thinks that a power drop off after peak power is abnormal, is abnormal.

3 hours ago, redcarsonly said:

The video was shot under the assumption that not everyone is as knowledgeable about their transmission.

Sure most transmissions will shift automatically but constant improper use can damage your engine. Every transmission has limits and shifting too late, too often, can and will most likely damage your engine.

Are you responsible for that video?  is it yours?  If it is, then perhaps just go back to 'merica and leave this forum alone.  We know not to bang our engines off the rev limiter.  There's a very specific reason for most of us not to do it.  If you know that reason, then you can stay.  Otherwise, there's nothing here for you.