SAU Community

OIL PRESSURE GAUGE DROPS

025BOS

So recently I've blown 2 turbos possibly due either over boosting or oil return line being f**ked.

So when i start the car it idles roughly at 4 and i drove say about 15-20minutes. Just noticing the gauge starting to drop slowly ti zero ( i know the gauge isn't always accurate but it still works though)

Im still new to turbo cars but can someone give me a rough idea of what it could be. Cheers in advance.

PFAimages-13.jpeg

This is the factory gauge? Install an aftermarket one or get a test gauge to check it.

Factory sensors can play up and are quite expensive to buy brand new

The factory senders flog out all the time, I just replaced mine. I was told that the cluster read from one sender and the oil pressure light from a seperate switch... if you show no pressure on the gauge with no oil light on, then it is more than likely a shit sender not a pressure issue

Stock one from the cluster is likely no good. Of course maybe you really have low oil pressure.

You should measure flow from the oil feed to the turbo with ignition off.

2 hours ago, 025BOS said:

still wondering why it was dropping though.

It will depend almost entirely on the oil you have in the engine - viscosity, shear properties, how old it is, and lots more - and to a lesser extent how much oil is in there.

It will depend almost entirely on the oil you have in the engine - viscosity, shear properties, how old it is, and lots more - and to a lesser extent how much oil is in there.

Cheers man. I will suss everything out over the weekend.

Could it possibly be my oil pump that's losing pressure and not returning enough oil through the return line. Im not a mechanic but just trying to tick off what it could or couldn't be possibly

• 2 weeks later...

Of cause it could, but do the simpler things first OK.  The oil pump sits at the end of the crank behind the HB, so you would need to tear all the front belts and HB etc off to get to it.

To check your pressure using an oil pressure gauge will take $50-$100 for the gauge and 15 minutes to install - unless you can borrow one or get one of those mobile mechanics to test it?