SAU Community

Transferring rego to VIC after moving here.. no RWC needed?

Sierra

Transferring rego to VIC after moving here.. no RWC needed?

Just moved here from Tas with my Tas-registered Stagea. Saw this on the Vic Roads site:

If the interstate vehicle registration is current or not expired by more than 3 months and is going into the same name in Victoria, a RWC will not be required to register your vehicle in Victoria.

A RWC is required if you have purchased a vehicle interstate or if the registration is cancelled or expired by more than 3 months.

As-is, my car won't pass a Vic RWC (coilovers, front mount, various other things).. but it's legal/registered in Tas. Ultimately I plan on making it road-legal here just to not get pulled over constantly, but am I right that I can transfer my rego without an RWC, as-is, then spend the rest of the year slowly getting it ready for it's first "local" renewal with RWC? Or am I asking for trouble?

Otherwise I guess I just run it on Tas plates as long as possible until I can get it RWC-ready? What have others done when moving here?

As it is the first registration in Victoria, they may require a vehicle sighting at a VicRoads office to make sure engine / chassis numbers are legit.

Since it's not a stock car, this could pose an issue for you.

Try it... if it does get inspected and they say no. It still has TAS rego... Get the parts to put it back to legal, and register it then.

If the car has rego, you have owned it for at least 12 months and have rego certificate to prove it you'll be fine. I'm sure the vicroads website explains what is needed. I transferred my patrol from qld, I had original roadworthy and rego receipts. In the end all they cared about was if it had rego and the form was filled correctly. Didn't ask to see the car at all.

No RWC required if the car was in your name in another state

But they do sight the car when they issue you with new number plates, to check the engine and chassis numbers match up. Whether they'll care about what has been done to the car or not probably comes down to the person, but the guy I got didn't seem interested in all the modifications that were glaring in his face. Wouldn't give up his pocket mirror acrobatics until he'd properly sighted the very last digit of the engine number though lol

Cheers guys, will give it a shot and see what happens. Like you say @Odium, worst case they'll just say no. Just a bit nervous as everyone I've spoken to about moving here says my car is not Vic-friendly lol.

Just make sure you know where the numbers are located and make sure they are readable, clean off the area if needed to make it easier for the guy

Birds is right, Vicroads don't generally give a crap about modifications if they're not obviously ghetto.

My GTR turned up on a trailer with a bottom end bearing rattling its head off, a loud exhaust and a bunch of eBay spec piping / shiny shit in the bay...told him it was going straight to mechanics after I got it registered (truth) and he was only concerned about numbers. Bit of luck involved though - I was either gonna get the bureaucratic but friendly Indian dude or the pissed off looking middle age Caucasian guy who was already arguing with a customer when I was lined up.

Worst they'll do is say no, but I doubt it. RWC and modifications are more important when selling a car to someone because of the liability in a sale. Protip: RWC workshops tend to be more lenient on issuing a RWC if you are the buyer rather than the seller, because the buyer is less likely to complain something wasn't done and implicate the workshop in a shoddy inspection case.

• Like 2