SAU Community

Custom exhaust system. Any good?

Custom exhaust system. Any good?

Hey guys, 

So i've heard that going custom could be a better option than buying an invidia, or x force exhaust system. I want a loud and aggressive system, and i'm struggling to decide whether to get a custom exhaust made or buy a cat back system. I don't want to be paying a ridiculous price for just a basic muffler delete, which i personally aren't a fan of :7_sweat_smile:. Any suggestions? 

So you have heard that getting a custom exhaust done is better than buying a brand name exhaust who have tested hundreds of different configurations and done hundreds of hours of R&D on their systems? Reeeeeeeeeeeealy?

There is a good reason people go brand name and cough up the big bucks. Lack of unbearable drone is one very, very good reason.

• Like 1

A custom exhaust is just as good as the person who designs and makes it. Most Japanese off the shelf exhausts have a restrictor that reduces a 3in system to 2 1/2 in so I avoid them. For best results post up your city at least and maybe somebody will recommend a good fabricator. You don't say what kind of car you have but a cat back exhaust means that you are still restricted by the current size of your front pipe.

You don't say why you want a new exhaust - the purpose will have a bearing on what you should get.

If you want to squeeze out as much horsepower as you possibly can, then it's an Akrapovic exhaust system you need.

If you just want a nice note without it sounding obnoxious, like I do, the one for my taste was the Megan Racing muffler.

If you want to be an obnoxious wanker, get a custom exhaust with tail pipes that you can house an illegal immigrant family in.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, anthonymcgrath said:

Mines downpipe
Hks "silent" power
Decat

Then go do a tunnel run

Your welcome

How did you go about sourcing the HKS system? Can i speak to some aus companies and see if they can organise it all if the system is from america?

Ah I'm sorry I just seen that it's for the vq model whereas I was on about the rb engines lol. However I would say a decat is the key and decent exhaust and itll roar.. perhaps a butterfly in the decat that can be opened and closed so essentially you can make it straight through or tone it down for residential areas.

So jealous of you lot over in that side of the world heh! Would love to get my family and me out there!

On 5/7/2017 at 6:58 PM, R377 said:

What sort of horsepower gains did you guys get from exhaust upgrade for v36 skylines ?

I can't find the post but a user call Yo-Yo claimed big gains when he did his exhaust upgrade,

The post is years old

• Like 1

You will definitely get gains, but on an N/A car, it won't be crazy amounts. A tune would get you more even if you keep everything as stock. My V36 has a custom system. FI HFC to 2.5" mild steel to a magnaflow xpipe and 2.5" all the way to HKS Legamax mufflers. Sounds good, no drone, but I doubt it made more than 5hp lol.

Edited by colin.ssc
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

Ok folks a question or 2 on the similarity between the exhaust on the 370Z and the v36? I thought I read some where that the 370z was 200mm shorter so is there any other differences?  I was looking at the Empire 370z cat delete pipes.

On 2/12/2020 at 4:30 PM, 370 GTS said:

Ok folks a question or 2 on the similarity between the exhaust on the 370Z and the v36? I thought I read some where that the 370z was 200mm shorter so is there any other differences?  I was looking at the Empire 370z cat delete pipes.

Not sure, but I assume they would fit considering Z1 motorsports make one-size-fits-all test pipes for the vq37.

10 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

As if they would have different length cats.

13 hours ago, pauliev36 said:

Not sure, but I assume they would fit considering Z1 motorsports make one-size-fits-all test pipes for the vq37.

Thanks.

13 hours ago, pauliev36 said:

10 hours ago, GTSBoy said:

As if they would have different length cats.

Sorry I was talking about the whole system, as I believe the Z is shorter over all than the V36.

• 4 months later...