SAU Community

RB20E to RB20DET Questions

RB20E to RB20DET Questions

So I'm all the way across the world in the USA and picked up a c33 Laurel recently with the auto RB20E.

Our info on these is super limited as they just became legal here a couple years ago. While I save the money, I'd like to know a few things about the swap.

When I go 5 speed and do the motor swap, will the RB20DET's 5 speed tranny fit up in the Laurel correctly?  If not, what parts do I need?

If I go with just the RB20DET, can my RB20E auto tranny bolt up to it or are modifications needed/do I need the RB20DET auto tranny?

I may not go 5 speed instantly because money plays a factor. 

Sorry if these questions have been asked a lot. I've googled for a good while and can't find a whole lot on the Laurel, let alone the RB20E.

Are you planning to get an RB20DET engine or just turbo the one you have? Either way the auto should work but its life may not be long if you hammer it. I have no direct experience of the Laurel but since there are plenty of them with a 25DET in them I suspect that most swaps will be pretty routine and there are guides on how to convert auto to manual in here that will probably help you. For the RB20DET you may need a suitable ecu but hopefully someone who has done it will put you right.

• 2 weeks later...