SAU Community

Tim's 1992 N14 SSS Build

I'll just leave these here. 

Unfortunately I had to work when the tune was finalised, however Benny did do a baseline run for me when I was there. Made sure everything was safe, which it was and ran it up. 

It was 124fwkw when I took it to him. So this is the final result. 

20191202_161213.jpg

received_537936650389446.jpeg

received_2399264153517384.jpeg

• Like 3

On 04/12/2019 at 7:15 AM, ActionDan said:

Sounds good, nice linear power. Should surprise a few other NA bois. 

10 points to me for guessing the range correctly. 

No points for the person who said 180 something kw lol

The video does the sound absolutely no justice at all! That intake sound was making my chest vibrate. Was probably the best moment I've had with my cars, seeing it being revved like it should on the dyno and being able to actually hear it only 3m away. 

The way the car drives now, it feels alot more powerful than the 132kw the dyno says... maybe I'm just butthurt from the final figure? ??

A 1/4 mile trap speed should clear up the power figure a little better anyhow ?

Why hurt? It's a 2L NA engine that's how many years old tech wise? 

I think over 130fwkw is very good given there are still 4 cyls being sold new right now that make less at the flywheel. 

Plus you know you can also put a small turbo on it later to really wake it up and make an easy 200fwkw, which would be an absolute hoot given the VVL head will mean bugger all lag on a T28 size turbo. 

Enjoy your hard work.

18 minutes ago, ActionDan said:

Why hurt? It's a 2L NA engine that's how many years old tech wise? 

I think over 130fwkw is very good given there are still 4 cyls being sold new right now that make less at the flywheel. 

Plus you know you can also put a small turbo on it later to really wake it up and make an easy 200fwkw, which would be an absolute hoot given the VVL head will mean bugger all lag on a T28 size turbo. 

Enjoy your hard work.

I was probably 'hoping' since my crank is only driving the alternator that it would free up another few kw. 

However the thing absolutely hammers. It isn't scary fast, obviously. However the power vs chassis is very well balanced. 

I do have another engine in the pipeline with alot more compression, larger cams, alot of head work etc etc. So we'll see how that progresses. 

I'll enjoy this over the next 9 - 12 months before I finish the other engine ?

25 minutes ago, ActionDan said:

Good.

Goal of what? 160-180? Still a lot for a 4cyl NA. Or are you adding a spooly boi. 

Goal of 150 - 160ish on Benchmark Solutions dyno I think would be somewhat realistic. Depending on a few factors, final compression ratio will dictate fuel I'll be running. Ultimately I'd prefer 98 for simplicity, however I'm not against the corn juice. 

I have alot of mates asking me, egging me on to go turbo, a few things hold me back there. 

Driveline is #1 these gearboxes are ordinary at best when it comes to turbo torque, there is a couple of bandaid fixes, although nothing I'm that interested in. 

Emissions is #2 I really wanted this to fly under the radar, hence N/A, slightly lowered, understated outside. When I add a FMIC, turbo choo choo's etc it makes it stand out a little more.

N/A screamer #3 it's a passion of mine too. I like the challenge of having no forced induction to rely on to make power, there is nothing quiet like the sound of an N/A car at 8k too.

I recently had a mate drive the N14, before it was tuned. He's all about forced induction. He said to me, this thing doesn't need a turbo man. It's so well balanced in power/weight and also the perfect mix of street/track setup. 

That came from a guy who turbos everything he owns and also before it was tuned, so no big revs. 

5 minutes ago, ActionDan said:

There's your answer then! 

150-160, NA, at 8k, will be glorious

I really think so too! It won't be for a while. I plan on enjoying what I've got here, I'd like to do some track days in the new year and maybe a couple of runs down the 1/4 before Xmas. We shall see though ?

Have done 1000kms in total (untuned and tuned) since the engine went in, so wanted to do an oil/filter change too. Threw a spanner over a heap of things to double/triple check everything. It's all looking pretty good though! 

I'm just enjoying being able to drive it, honestly. 

20191208_135624.jpg

• Like 2

On 04/12/2019 at 6:15 AM, ActionDan said:

Sounds good, nice linear power. Should surprise a few other NA bois. 

10 points to me for guessing the range correctly. 

No points for the person who said 180 something kw lol

I get excited by na pulsars, what can i say ?

What times did you get at the strip tim?

12 hours ago, Furball1982 said:

I get excited by na pulsars, what can i say ?

What times did you get at the strip tim?

I did a best of a 14.17 on this occasion. 

I believe a high 13 would be possible, taking into consideration:

- hot day

- fresh setup and not alot of opportunities to practice launching 

- not really setup for the drags

- a better driver, being fresh, I was pussy footing the launch a tad. 

1 hour ago, ActionDan said:

How many kebabs did you win?

I won zero kebabs as not hectic enough Uleh. 

received_676326466231184.jpeg