SAU Community

Tim's 1992 N14 SSS Build

22 minutes ago, MBS206 said:

Thanks, I'll have a sneak peak. 

I'm meant to be doing the dodgy budget build to just get mine going but this is Such a clean build that it's inspiring, and I'm thinking I should take the time to properly mount and clip things, and even give it a respray :(

Haha!! I just can't do dodgy, or slapped together. One of my favourite saying is: 'the poor man pays twice' and it has proven to be right on so many occasions that I now live by it. 

Taking your time and doing it right the first time is worth it, even just for the reward of job satisfaction in the end ?

Thanks for the words man. It helps to motivate me and keep this updated, that's for sure ?

10 minutes ago, TimmyMA70 said:

Haha!! I just can't do dodgy, or slapped together. One of my favourite saying is: 'the poor man pays twice' and it has proven to be right on so many occasions that I now live by it. 

Taking your time and doing it right the first time is worth it, even just for the reward of job satisfaction in the end ?

Thanks for the words man. It helps to motivate me and keep this updated, that's for sure ?

Poor man only pays once if he hasn't paid for it the first time around :P

My build is more of a "roadkill" build. Do what it takes to make it run for next to nothing kinda deal. 

On 04/07/2019 at 1:32 PM, MBS206 said:

Poor man only pays once if he hasn't paid for it the first time around :P

My build is more of a "roadkill" build. Do what it takes to make it run for next to nothing kinda deal. 

Ahh yes. Each to their own dude ? if it works for you, keep it up.

I enjoy trying to improve things, make them more suited to what I want out of the car as much as I do driving it, so this stage of the build isn't a chore for me at all. 

Finished product on the wiring guys:

HKvJa1Ql.jpg

I was having clearance issues from my Whiteline strutbrace to the intake manifold. A local guy had a Cusco GTIR strut brace, so asked him for a lend of it. 

Fits really well. Has alot more clearance to the manifold and throttle body.

Unsure of the colour though. I have ordered a new one and I'll return this one.

However, I'm thinking I'll leave the brace blue until the car is all finished before I make my decision ?

4wuvGfSl.jpg

ibmPdj8l.jpg

The N14 is alot more complete currently, so took a snap ?

NOd6z1xl.jpg

Bought a sequential shift light too, should be excellent for track work. They're such a small compact unit though!

OTXwi8Al.jpg

That's all for now, as always, thanks for reading ?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ben C34 said:

Very tidy. The blue strut brace matches the masking tape.

Thanks mate ?

I said the same thing to a mate of mine. Sent him a photo saying "I finally found a strut brace to match my masking tape"

??

Hey guys, just some more parts hoarding. This time for the intake:

Plan is to use my 6" ID airfilter on the 3.5" ID - 6" OD bellmouth, then weld the 3.5" to 3" transition onto that, then go to a 3" 45° or 60° aluminum mandrel bend (unsure yet) then to the throttle body (which is 3" OD) 

Anyhow, here are a couple of the parts.

xn3pbTDl.jpg

xiPukRLl.jpg

xrZedRal.jpg

Ou9FoTWl.jpg

lw9zbEml.jpg

As usual, thanks for reading ?

• Like 2

Hey guys,

A bit of a milestone this weekend, the N14 has been off the road for 4 months now. Although I'm definitely honing in on it running soon!

The front bar and passengers side guard are finally on for good, both guard liners have also been refitted. The car (apart from the bonnet) is back together... finally!

ItmHuBVl.jpg

A bit of a teaser pic of whats to come with the intake, hopefully the bends should be here this week.

Zu6ipbsl.jpg

KDE3MM8l.jpg

iHaOLMZl.jpg

I have since removed the gearbox (I mocked the gearbox up to check clearance on everything else I have fitted)
Torqued up my Xtreme 3.9kg flywheel tonight, clutch will go on tomorrow afternoon (Xtreme HD Organic...I'm non turbo, so make f**k all torque remember ??)

UUHM6EPl.jpg

Thanks for reading

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Slow on the updates again as you can see... Anyway, I'm back. Have had a few up's and down's as expected with making custom items. The thermostatic oil filter bracket I made whilst the engine was out, was only a guesstimate. Unfortunately when  I went to finish off the oil cooler lines, the 90 degree bends I was using fouled on the rocker cover, I managed to tweak it until there was clearance, however I wasn't completely happy with it.
Sooo, I made a new one. Much more rigid than the previous design, it is yet to be painted:

YMWpiIml.jpg

dtbDhBWl.jpg

cRicY6El.jpg

In between work and other commitments I began mocking up the intake components I had been piecing together, this is what I came up with:

6" OD bellmouth for the filter to mount on, down to 3.5" OD on the outlet, I continued the 3.5" for 130mm to a 3.5" - 3" aluminium reducer then to a 3" 60 degree mandrel bend.

RmAcO0cl.jpg

LUNLNaSl.jpg

The finished product, fabricated by yours truely:

SrKyLqdl.jpg

aS1wahdl.jpg

As I was welding each part of the intake together, the wall thickness was different between each component, so I went ahead and ported each piece after it was welded.

TuAOQkhl.jpg

lDKSWwdl.jpg

owt77o8l.jpg

The finished product:

gPZhiApl.jpg

As per usual guys, thanks for reading :)

• Like 5

Small update guys:

I've reached the spaghetti stage of the build. In the process of wiring in the Haltech. Using bussed Deutsch plugs for the power supply to the injectors and the coil packs. I've mostly sussed out the Drive By Wire setup, it's reasonably straight forward to wire in too. 

Apart from that I've got a shitload of leftover inputs/outputs, which is to be expected with a 'basic' N/A build. However I'm going to run a separate loom with these in it, so they'll be easy to access if/when the time comes for a change or upgrade. 

UgLz56tl.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, another update:

Unfortunately the Ross crank trigger setup for FWD and RWD ended up being the same which ended up causing the sensor mount to contact the chassis rail. 

It was going to be extremely hard to modify that setup, however I found the Tarrks kit and thought I'd take a punt on it.

Pretty close!

lIttoL5l.jpg

N59SB5Dl.jpg

Modified the lower mount, where it bolts to the oil pump cover, much better:

f7GiCrml.jpg

zrOj0Byl.jpg

I've got the water pump all hosed up now too:

kyEcMpfl.jpg

X2L0lXGl.jpg

I started to make a bit of a template for the airbox too:

LKfBvzsl.jpg

Al54U5Yl.jpg

Going to finish on the wiring:

Had to do some extensive rewiring in behind the dash as I removed the fuse/relay box on the drivers side, so anything that wasn't redundant had to be rerouted. 

This is the wiring atm, ready for testing. Once it's all tested and proven, it'll be braided and taped to the existing looms. 

yjZApUOl.jpg

• Like 3

Hey guys, 

A few more updates, have been busy wiring. Only have the gearbox sensors, the starter solenoid (received terminals for that this afternoon) electric water pump controller and the fuel pump to go and the car will be ready to crank. 

Anyway, a few pictures:

I have been trying to figure out a way to run the wiring across the rocker cover here, it always looks so messy in the OEM state. I've come up with this setup which should look alright once it's sprayed in wrinkle black, same as the rocker cover.

WFB91dPl.jpg

KdBhNWDl.jpg

Coil packs terminated

JHTCdlCl.jpg

NorhcEQl.jpg

Crank trigger, oil pressure sensor, oil temp sensor, knock sensor

XyjAMeXl.jpg

Starter solenoid wire and a voltage reference wire for the alternator 

yH0bg0kl.jpg

That's all for now guys, as usual thanks again for reading :)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, iruvyouskyrine said:

Can you elaborate more on the issue with the crank trigger?

Hey man, yep, sure can.

Basically the mount where the sensor bolts to sat far too high, you see where the Tarrks setup, the sensor sits quiet low and pretty much in the centerline of the crank pulley.

The Ross setup had the sensor sitting higher and subsequently towards the front of the car more, which caused fouling on the chassis rail.

I couldn't really get any photos of what was happening due to access. However if you look closely on the photos I've put up of the Tarrks setup, you can actually see the mark the sensor mount left on the chassis rail.

It isn't a fantastic photo, as it wasn't taken at eye level to the crank, however you can see that the mount is alot bulkier and sits up way higher than the Tarrks setup

I believe when I did some investigation work that the mount which had been supplied as the 'FWD' mount kit was in fact the same as the RWD setup.

This would work awesome in a RWD application, where you have alot more real estate and no chassis rails for miles lol.

Lrn8dfXl.jpg

N59SB5Dl.jpg

Edited by TimmyMA70

Milestone update guys!

Cranked the car today, removed the coil packs and plugs, dumped the oil and put fresh oil in (Penrite 10/10ths 10w40)

Wanted to prime the oiling system. So a few bursts on the starter motor. 

With some luck I might have the car running by the end of the week, no pressure ?

• Like 3

Hey guys, another update:

Pretty much all the engine bay wiring is complete. I need to finish the airbox off and make the intake mounts before I terminate the air temp sensor. The DBW throttle body has been terminated, however not braided, want to double check it all works before braiding it. 

rCYj63zl.jpg

Painted the 'loom channel' yesterday too, in wrinkle black. Definitely makes it disappear. 

ezlSRcLl.jpg

Thanks for reading guys ?

• Like 3