SAU Community

Tim's 1992 N14 SSS Build

4 hours ago, ActionDan said:

No problem, I know how important it is to get some feedback on the hard work. 

Plus I love the sound of NA. Looking forward to you firing this up. 

There has been alot of time involved, as per any project car. Although definitely enjoyed the feedback! 

I'm really excited to fire it up too! 

Hopefully won't be too long now.

A few photos from todays efforts guys.

Made a start on the airbox:

UWoZIxml.jpg

ld6uhNil.jpg

Made the lid, I still need to finish it off. Mount the Dzus 1/4 turn fastners on the lid, nutsert and bolt the sides and finish the duct from beside the radiator oh and of course, paint it black ?

Although definitely made some progress today which is nice. A nice change from the wiring anyhow. 

P5m9Iphl.jpg

qHWZRvbl.jpg

5rkMaGIl.jpg

Thanks for reading ?

Edited by TimmyMA70
  • Like 3

Hey guys, some more progress the past couple of days. 

Made a mount to support the air intake: welding probably isn't 'insta worthy' however, it's definitely stuck on there lol. 

m0lODTzl.jpg

W9aFMJtl.jpg

Welded the intake temp sensor in the intake as well:

hAHPTUrl.jpg

N1ZdXOul.jpg

I made this 'duct' for the inlet into the airbox too, designed it so it'll pickup the air pushing around the radiator, this shot is from the inside of the box, looking towards the radiator. 

p1TfO8ol.jpg

Also managed to get the air/oil separators setup:

AKTYS5kl.jpg

d4SDr9tl.jpg

rQ91yEQl.jpg

Lastly a photo of the 1/4 turn Dzus fasteners for the airbox lid. I still need to get some foam for under the airbox lid and paint the airbox and intake black too.

NhPs41wl.jpg

Thanks for reading guys ?

• Like 4

Just a small one for tonight guys.

Painted the airbox last night and assembled it all tonight for a mockup. 

I personally like the stealth black. I'm in 2 minds about the colour of the intake pipe. I'm thinking Satin Silver at this stage to keep it clean, although not in your face. 

We'll see though. 

Ah30XUvl.jpg

My wife was having a fiddle with the camera tonight too and took a bit of a fun photo I thought I'd share too:

Eq0A3Cql.jpg

Thanks for reading guys ?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ActionDan said:

I'd be inclined to powder coat it silver, that will give a textured finish more closly matching the plenum. Otherwise, uyes agree silver would be good, and satin or matte for sure. 

I agree with you there that a texture would finish it off quiet nicely. 

I've in fact ordered some wrinkle silver paint. I'll give that a try first and worst case, if I'm not happy with that, I'll look at other options. 

Thanks for the feedback man ?

So, small update guys. The DBW throttle body/pedal is all wired in, calibrated and working! Couldn't be happier in all honesty. 

The Haltech powered up perfectly. After a swap from one CAN port to the other the Wideband is now working too. All the inputs have been setup and I only need to setup the ignition timing, fit the cleaned and flowed injectors (hopefully this Thursday) fit my driveshafts and fill the gearbox up with oil. It should be right to start then! 

Oh, I have confirmed the crank trigger is working to some degree also(reading RPM)

With some luck, this weekend I may be able to get it fired up! 

• Like 2

A major update guys....

Finally got the SR fired up! 

I only had one minor issue getting it to start, which was I had terminated the fuel pump in an empty slot on a Deutsch plug. However no biggie there! 

Now to finish the wiring off inside the car, now I know everything works ?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ActionDan said:

That's a big milestone, well done. 

The fact you got it running first go is testament to your had work and attention to detail. 

One mis-terminated plug wire is nothing. 

It certainly is a big milestone! Extremely happy with how it's come out.

Thanks very much mate! As you know there has been alot of checking and double checking hence why it's been a slow build, although it worked out quiet well in the end! 

To get it running I had a spare fuel pump plug, I just terminated that and manually powered the fuel pump to get it to fire then I spent some time the following day fault finding, which ended up being very simple!

6 hours ago, Furball1982 said:

Congratulations Tim. Beautiful work.

I do love me some NA SR action!

Enjoy it!

Thank you very much for the compliments ?

I really appreciate it. 

Me too! It sounds like a Massey Ferguson tractor right now, however it'll have some big mufflers in there soon enough to kill some of that 'noise' and hopefully make it sound a bit sweeter. 

A little bit more information I'd like to share with you guys. 

The P12 SR20VE uses top feed fuel injectors, anyhow a good mate of mine has a flow bench/cleaning station ultrasonic cleaning bath. 

The engine was in fantastic condition when I stripped it for inspection and to fix the oil weep from the timing cover. 

However we thought it'd be best, considering how clean everything went back together to clean and flow the injectors, as a precaution. 

He did really well, managed to get all 4 injectors spot on. 

20191007_135359.jpg

• Like 1

Hey guys, some more updates, mainly around wiring. I sussed out my inputs/outputs that were left over, there was enough to setup traction control and put both launch control and traction control on an 'on/off' switch. So I thought I might as well take full advantage of all the ECU functions. 

I am using the OEM rear demister switch for the launch control (which is no longer functional) and plan on sourcing another for the traction control. 

The heater box is back in, all the interior wiring has been wrapped in braid for extra protection, the dash crash bar/center console brackets have all been rubbed back and painted black due to surface rust. 

All the interior is being pieced back together now. Anyway, enough writing and more photos. 

20191011_131500.jpg

20191011_145152.jpg

20191013_135044.jpg

20191013_135142.jpg

20191013_135328.jpg

20191013_135442.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ActionDan said:

What do you do for a day job Tim? If you're not working on cars, you might be able to pick up a few extra coins quite easily offering out your services to those with an eye for detail and the patience and funds to get a good result. 

I'm a fitter/machinist Dan. I have helped other people out previously with different projects along the way. I love helping people, however the biggest reward is the ones who truly and genuinely appreciate your time. 

The last guy I helped I realised the extra cash is just a sweetner, as unfortunately the appreciation was more of an expectation... I struggled alot with motivation. 

However the guys who give good feedback, it honesty wouldn't worry me if I got paid or not lol 

Thanks for the feedback and compliments as usual mate ?

• Like 1