SAU Community

Respraying a bootlid

Hey guys

Im respraying an r33 Bootlid from white to black. Ive removed the rear lock and smoothed over the hole with some fibreglass resin then put some metal bodyfiller over it. There are a few pinholes in the bodyfiller so i was wondering if i should reapply the filler or will the holes disappear once i spray body fill primer over it?

Should i spray primer over the whole boot or just the area that has been sanded to bare metal? And should i sand the primer before spraying the base coat, if so what grit sandpaper?

Reapply over the pinholes and sand down again. Lightly sand the whole boot with 800 grit to knock any shine off. I would primer coat the whole thing and then sand with 800 - 1000 grit wet and dry. Preparation is everything. If the surface is shit, it doesn't matter how well you paint it, it will still look shit.

Thanks adms15, exactly the kind of answer i was hoping for.

Another question; what is a good place to get your paint code put in a spray can? I was just gonna go to supercheap, is the quality of their paint any good?

In melbourne btw

Hey there, i sprayed my wing just recently and purchased a proper 2 pack spray can off ebay. Theres a button on the bottom of the can which once pressed, will automatically mix the hardener with the paint. The can was around $30 from a place in melbourne. Plus, i also got a can of 2 pack clear coat which gave a really nice finish

Hey there, i sprayed my wing just recently and purchased a proper 2 pack spray can off ebay. Theres a button on the bottom of the can which once pressed, will automatically mix the hardener with the paint. The can was around $30 from a place in melbourne. Plus, i also got a can of 2 pack clear coat which gave a really nice finish

That sounds fantastic. Can you provide a link to eBay item or seller please. Thanks.

Hi, whilst using touch up spray cans are quick, cheap & convenient, I'm not sure you're going to be 100% happy with the outcome seeing that you're painting such a large surface. Perhaps look at getting a quote from a panel shop to do the finish coat and clear if necessary. Might be a better option. Spray cans have their use, but the finish they produce is quite variable. Good luck.

I know that it's best to take it to a panel shop, but the places i have called up have quoted anywhere from $350-$500 to spray it, i can't justify that considering i picked up the boot for $30.

Also i would rather have the satisfaction of knowing i sprayed it myself. My car is not a show car by any means so I'm willing to give it a go.

sorry for the late reply. yes, thats the exact same one i used :) i agree with paul about painting a large surface. The cans are great for side mirrors and wings etc but for bigger panels it may be harder to get a brilliant finish. 

It would cost you more than what it would to get a pro job done and you still wouldn't achieve a pro finish. May as well go to a panel shop. Any more than 300 is a bit rich if the boot is straight and in decent condition imo.

I know a pro will do much better job but even $300 is too much for me.

I already have an excellent condition boot with GTR spoiler on my 33gtst. i prefer the standard spoiler so i picked up a gtst s2 spoiler and new boot with the intention of smoothing over the nissan lock and repainting.

I'm just looking at just giving it a go myself just to have a bit of fun and get some experience with spray painting.

That's why i was thinking it might be good to invest in a compressor and spray gun so i can paint this and any other parts in the future.

If i was painting my only boot then i would defiantly get a pro to do it.

Refill and smoothen the holes. Spray acrylic primer ($12-14 at super cheap.

take your petrol cap off and take it to a paint shop. Have them make the paint in 2pak cans and get a can of 2pac clear. 

Wet sand primer. Use wax and grease remover over area being painted. Apply paint then a day later apply clear. 

The cans with the hardener will give a nice finish. Just don't get trigger happy and spray too much at once. Spray one coat wait 15 then another light coat 

good luck 

Edited by AARR34

Would prefer not to use 2 pack, i don't want to make my asthma worse. Would need around 3 cans for base coat and 3 for clear (im guessing) so that's $180 there already.

Thats why i was thinking might as well get a spray gun.

Just trying to find out how much a decent one will cost and recommendations.

I can always just forget about the boot, just trying to weigh out my options

You won't need 3 cans for the boot. You'll hardly get through one. 

Spray guns are good but only if you know how to use them Professionally. Also you'll need a booth for a proper pro job.

i wouldn't go spray gun unless you're painting the whole car.

i did my boot lid with 2pak cans. Looks like factory finish 

IMG_0184.JPG

Edited by AARR34

You won't need 3 cans for the boot. You'll hardly get through one. 
Spray guns are good but only if you know how to use them Professionally. Also you'll need a booth for a proper pro job.
i wouldn't go spray gun unless you're painting the whole car.
i did my boot lid with 2pak cans. Looks like factory finish 

IMG_0184.thumb.JPG.7312df71f9715428c06860bee1bd4795.JPG

That looks pretty good.
How many cans did you need?

I went through one can of paint and one can of clear. Think it totalled around $30-$40 but they were 2pak cans. 

Might even be less than that. Get 2 cans of paint and one clear. The second one can be a back up 

Edited by AARR34