SAU Community

R33 rb30/25 hardline from head to block

thebe

Hey all

Finishing up my rb30/25det build and realized my rb30 doesnt have a thread for this hard line from the head. The engine is in with pretty much every other line and stuff bolted to it (pic from google) so wouldnt really care to take it out and strip apart to tap a hole... Added a pic of my block when it was on a stand, feeling quite stupid :D What is this line for and is it absolutely needed?

Thanks alle872bf370d76aab69ef79be3014fe322.jpg9ac3b32c23edf50c521a3b40bc6c6d0f.jpg

that is one of the head oil drains. highly recommended, as rb's have enough trouble getting oil out of the head as it is. You "could" Tee into turbo drain but is ideal to have it tapped into block

Yeah thats what I figured. Damn just finished my top Mount turbo oil lines yesterday:D any other ideas on what to do besides teeing to turbo drain?

After thinking about it for a few moments I think these are my options:

1. Tee the head drain to the turbo oil return. Worried if the factory sized drain would be enough for my hx40 AND the head return though...

2. Drill and tap a thread to the block. How to prevent metal pieces from getting inside the engine though?

3. Take the sump out and drill and weld a fitting for the drain.

I was hoping to start my car next weekend for the first time in 2,5 years but dont really want to take shortcuts now that will haunt me in the future. Which would you recommend doing, keeping in mind the engine is in the car? I'm kinda leaning towards 3. If I take the exhaust off and lift the engine as much as I can without disconnecting the gearbox can I get the sump (rb25 oem sized sump) out and back in? That way I could clean the sump and no metal bits would get inside the engine.

When I do get the Engine running I will run it on idle to normal temp and then do my first oil change if that changes anything.

Other ideas? Thanks

Is the HX40 ball bearing? Do you have an oil restrictor in the turbo oil feed line?

If both answers are yes then just tee it in to the turbo drain line. And the easiest way to take the sump off is to lower the crossmember while keeping the engine in place so you have access to all the bolts.

Is the HX40 ball bearing? Do you have an oil restrictor in the turbo oil feed line?

If both answers are yes then just tee it in to the turbo drain line. And the easiest way to take the sump off is to lower the crossmember while keeping the engine in place so you have access to all the bolts.

Nope its journal bearing with an3 feed line without a restrictor. The return just meets the turbos demands.

Thanks for the tip with the sump. Its starting to sound like the best option

• 1 month later...

I am also in this boat. I notice rb26's don't seem to have this drain and others have blocked it off. Is it really required with a sump breather?
I am also worried if I plumb it into my turbo drain it will restrict the flow too much. I have a precision 6870.

2 minutes ago, czy18e said:

I am also in this boat. I notice rb26's don't seem to have this drain and others have blocked it off. Is it really required with a sump breather?
I am also worried if I plumb it into my turbo drain it will restrict the flow too much. I have a precision 6870.

Rb26 don't need it as it is a drain for the vct.

• 1 month later...