SAU Community

Tips for new R34

Insomnia

Tips for new R34

Hey fellas,

New to the forums here, so hopefully what I'm asking isn't considered a joke. Getting my red P-plates next year in Victoria and was planning on buying an R34 GT Coupe (due to Vic ban on turbos). I was wondering if I could get some insight into what it's like driving a skyline on Red Ps (Cops/harassment maybe?). I'm mainly driving the r34 to uni and back, maybe track in the future during the summer breaks, would the GT be a nice car for it?

Also I've heard the GT is extremely slow, just how slow is it? 

Thanks

As someone in Melbourne with a Skyline, I can tell you they get a lot of attention from thieves, cops and car lovers.
If you're at Monash Clayton, I'd be super careful about where you leave it.
But, don't let bad thoughts stop you from buying the car you love. Just make sure it has an immobiliser and you'll be fine. Good luck.

IMO Should be fine with cops as long as your keep your car looking sensible and don't drive like an idiot. They are a fun, great handling car and probs one of the best cars you get for your p's.

They aren't that slow but you don't get a gt if you want a fast car. I haven't driven one but been in one, felt about as fast as my manual v6 commodore, maybe a tad bit faster.

I wouldn't worry about trying to have a fast car on your p's just get something that handles

They are slow and expensive to run.. Get a Toyota Corolla, become a better driver and learn simple maintenance. If you still want a Skyline when you come off your P plate then buy a turbo version.

• Like 1

Buy what you want, just don't set unrealistic expectations for power and/o re-sale value. Even though they're gutless they're still a great car to drive.

Also don't consider turbo-ing it when you get off your P's either, 100's of threads on here why not to also.

R34 GT with a set of coilovers, swaybars and a mechanical LSD would be a bloody fun, cheap and reliable little thrash about lol

Throughout the 4 years until you get your fulls you can save up for something else too :)

• Like 1

Don't set expectations on it being quick. The non turbo's are slow. Considering you are on your P's. Just keep it clean, put some nice wheels on and enjoy it until you have your full license. 

• Like 1

As someone who's seen this story time and time again, don't buy it. You're obviously interested in performance, which this car will not be, at least while on P's.

You're young, and likely won't be swayed, but take the advice of myself and others and just wait until you're off your P's. Get a shit box to get some experience, save your money, and do it right in a couple years.

You will be FAR happier in the long run.

It really is up to you dude, but IMO, I suggest just getting a cheap daily that can get you from point A to B while you're on your P's, (in this case Uni).

I had always wanted to own a Skyline for as long as I can remember, and when I got on my P's, I was deadset on buying one even if it was non-turbo. Looking back now that I have a GTT, I'm glad I didn't haha.

Like someone else mentioned above, no doubt you're interested in performance, just wait till you're off your P's so your money goes into a car that you'll keep for a very long time. Those 4 years will go by really quick, trust!

• Like 1

What i would suggest is getting a cheap daily for at least a year. You'll be kicking yourself if you ding your shiny GT within the first month of driving. This will also give you time to really decide what car you want.

Just keep the R34 clean, buy some nice wheels, coilovers, leave it at that and don't spend any more on mods. Learn to do your basic servicing yourself and you will have a nice car that is reliable and fairly cheap to run. If your car is well kept you should be able to make most your money back when you decide to sell.

Don't get the GT if it's out of your budget (if you need to get a loan for it forget it).

10 hours ago, vxsr33 said:

What i would suggest is getting a cheap daily for at least a year. You'll be kicking yourself if you ding your shiny GT within the first month of driving. This will also give you time to really decide what car you want.

Just keep the R34 clean, buy some nice wheels, coilovers, leave it at that and don't spend any more on mods. Learn to do your basic servicing yourself and you will have a nice car that is reliable and fairly cheap to run. If your car is well kept you should be able to make most your money back when you decide to sell.

Don't get the GT if it's out of your budget (if you need to get a loan for it forget it).

^^^^^ save the loan for the car that you wanna end up with!

On 08/06/2017 at 1:00 PM, Insomnia said:

Alright cheers, just curious though, whats the upkeep per month for an GT? And what types of issues does it run into?

Ok seriously though GT's are not "that" bad their a very reliable car, 

Main issues i had with my r34 GT sedan (cough... auto....)

Were the coil packs burning out i got splitfires and i havent had an issue since. 

CAS went after 220,000kms and ive owned her since 2010 and this year its a 17 year old car.

Just work out if ur prepared to own one based on age and where u buy it from every older car has engine issues upkeep is normal and not that badly priced.

Treat it right and it will last (like mine) 

Currently sitting on 260,000kms still drives like a dream and immac. 

;)

IMG_20160711_065203.jpg

FB_IMG_1479975989435.jpg

FB_IMG_1479975886010.jpg

On 15/06/2017 at 0:39 PM, inmaniac said:

As someone who's seen this story time and time again, don't buy it. You're obviously interested in performance, which this car will not be, at least while on P's.

You're young, and likely won't be swayed, but take the advice of myself and others and just wait until you're off your P's. Get a shit box to get some experience, save your money, and do it right in a couple years.

You will be FAR happier in the long run.

Or just get a GTR after ur P's and keep the GT as a daily like me. ^-^