SAU Community

R33 adjustable caster bushes

R33 adjustable caster bushes

Just got a some caster arms with adjustable bushes. Any ideas which bush is suited for which side of the car.

Edit: I have read + is for the passengers side and - is for the drivers side.

I have assumed the one closest is the passengers and the one furthest away is the drivers side.

Can someone confirm this :)

20170609_183039.jpg

Edited by wadedos

What he said.  The way they are has nothing to do with how they will go in.  The reality is, these things offer about 1/3 of the adjustment you really need, so just set them both to the shortest and install them.  Then drive away happy.

I know that the caster will be different, it this a normal thing to do ? Supposedly people do it to counter the slight left pull from driving on the left side.

Any ideas on how you adjust them, the centers feel pretty solid ?

Edited by wadedos

Push out crush tube.  Align as per how you want it, push it back in.  With fresh lube.

As I said, the reality is that they offer little real adjustment.  if you want them dialled in to slight differences side to side, you couldn't hope to know/guess what they were actually delivering anyway, because the caster you get on each side of the car could be affected by a number of other things (such as whether the subframe is straight in the car, state of the upper and lower arm bushes, etc etc.  So the best you can do would be to make them as short as possible, put them in, and then get it put on a wheel aligner and see what you got.  If it's not to your liking, get one of them re-adjusted slightly longer to to give you the change [you/your wheel alignment guy] [want/need] (strike out whichever is inapplicable).

I had these previously in my R33, My aligner pretty much said chuck them in the bin because they are a pain in the ass to get right. For the extra hundred or two you can get adjustable length arms that work great 

3 minutes ago, kingtube69 said:

I had these previously in my R33, My aligner pretty much said chuck them in the bin because they are a pain in the ass to get right. For the extra hundred or two you can get adjustable length arms that work great 

:/ I set mine up in my backyard... they were both spot on 7deg when we put it on the aligner lol

On 6/9/2017 at 6:01 PM, GTSBoy said:

What he said.  The way they are has nothing to do with how they will go in.  The reality is, these things offer about 1/3 of the adjustment you really need, so just set them both to the shortest and install them.  Then drive away happy.

I couldn't disagree more... Read my above post.