SAU Community

S14-15 vs Evo 7-9 Track Car

S15 vs Evo 7-9 Track Car  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I see plenty of S chassis representation in my club.

Nah don't need reason, genuinely interested in pro's and con's of both. 

I see far more Evo's putting down fast lap times vs Evo's at the top end of town (WTAC etc) but we're only talking clubsprint and state level comp here. The allure of AWD is definitely appealing, but the simplicity and lower costs of an S15 are good too, plus I'm very comfortable with Nissan in general in terms of service/repair. 

I think I lean towards an Evo, as the ultimate goal is lap time, but then I think I want to stay Nissan because I've always been Nissan and look at cars like the Scorch Racing S15 as inspiration. I like the challenge of RWD, but I'm not really into sliding around all over the place (hate drifting) and prefer the idea of power down and go. GT-R was so fun to track because it has grip for days even on shit tyres. 

12 hours ago, junkie said:

They are brilliant - I'm actually thinking of buying one in the next 12 months, after driving a 275 RS Cup along the old pacific highway

Prices are low due to epic depreciation and the suspension setup has been done by people who know what they are doing, its pretty much perfect out of the box. Some of the later cars even run an exxy adjustable ohlins setup with composite springs and pilot sport cup 2 tyres

Yeah, looking through carsales, I was shocked at how cheap they are plus how rarely the owners drive them. 

Gearbox is a 3-4 hour job on the ground.

Would be quicker on a hoist.

Just had a look at prices on carsales.

Cheapest s15 in nsw is 17k
Cheapest evo 8 in nsw is 17.5k

So I think prices are comparable.

Other little things that factor in aswell.

S15 has small breaks
no oil cooler
Non bucket seats

These all add costs in the end

9 hours ago, ActionDan said:

Sounds like you're not brave enough to explore other brands/cars.

And buy a evo already.  

• Like 4

I concur with Grant. Buy an evo and be done with it. It will yield the lap times. Why would you move from an s13 to an s15 anyway? It's pretty much the same thing, except a bit newer and heavier with a weaker gearbox. Also people wanting drug money for them. I bought an s15 with a forged rebuilt bottom end 4-5 years ago for 8k. I see worse condition cars than that for sale now for above 15. Yeah nah. I recently saw an evo 7 with fresh 2.2 stroker and lots of good bits on it for 22k. Looked the goods, was sold within a week. That would be an easy decision. The only reason to go s15 would be if you're a RWD purist and you love Nissan's.

• Like 2

Lol equating brand differentiation with bravery is a new one lol.

Hatches look fugly as, personal preference. A Renault will have substantially less local support in terms of parts/knowledge and likely cost more to mod.

It seemingly offers no advantage over lots of other suggestions besides "bravery" and we don't mesure that at track days lol

Considering S15/14 due to my Nissan knowldge and affiliation (2x GTRs 1x Skyline and 1x Silvia). Parts availability and price. Plenty to choose from. Better suspension and chassis than my S13 which still needs 5 stud and a proper cage and is a tired older car with an original motor and box. Oh and RWD (less understeer issues apparently) and weight advantage over Evo.

I just need someone to throw me the keys to their Evo so I can go see what I think of it on the limit of grip.

See this is what I need, people who have driven both.

Yeah I don't see being able to order parts from the U.S. as being remotely similar to driving 10mins to one of the 3 Nissan Import dismantlers here and grabbing what I need.

An Evo would also be a step away from that. This here is Nissan country son.