SAU Community

2005 pm35 lower ball joints help!

NicPM35

2005 pm35 lower ball joints help!

Just sent my 2005 350rx to the mechanic with some ebay lower ball joints. 

Turns out the bolts on them is too small, so I'm stuck with not many options.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/172587752186

These are the ones, they say M35, which I would assume would be the same for pm35 as they're both rwd?? 

Is there ones off another car like a 350z that would fit? Anyone know this with confidence? 

Hi Nic,

That one you're looking at fits both a 350z and NM35 AWD Stagea (as well as V35 Skyline). It's the very same one I had installed in my car a fortnight ago (literally that ebay seller, and that item). 

EPC Data for the PM35  350RX (2WD) has the same part (https://nissan.epcdata.ru/stagea/pm35/6844-vq35de/trans/400/40014/) and that's based off Nissans FAST data, I've never had an issue with part numbers from it. So I'm not sure what to tell you here other than that's the right part number, can you confirm you received the right part?

I've heard positive things about Jez @ DVS Tuning but I dont know if he does basic mechanical work or not, or if its economically viable to have him do it. I'd suggest it is worth giving them a call to see what the options are or if they could recommend someone also. 

Upon my own inspection of the old and new ball joints, I think I've been sent the wrong joints. 

The new joints have a 14mm bolt where as the old ones have a 16mm bolt. 

I'm so confused because that EPC data says the exact same part number as the one I ordered. 

Is the car you installed these joints on a m35 or a pm35? 

Upon my own inspection of the old and new ball joints, I think I've been sent the wrong joints. 

The new joints have a 14mm bolt where as the old ones have a 16mm bolt. 

I'm so confused because that EPC data says the exact same part number as the one I ordered. 

Is the car you installed these joints on a m35 or a pm35? 

• 4 weeks later...

Just returned from the mechanic again. Tried fitting some ball joints from a 350z with no success. The bottom receiver is the same but the top bolt receiver is slightly too small. I think there is definitely a difference between the first gen and second gen m35/pm35 Stageas, as every recommendation for my car (2005) hasn't fit 

confirmed, current joints in car have a 16mm bolt on the top receiver and the M35 ones and the 350z ball joints from ebay both have 14mm bolts. Not sure why my car is unique...

HAS ANYONE ON THIS FORUM EVER CHANGED THEIR BALL JOINTS?

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry just realised I'm kinda posting in 2 different threads about this. 

Just got off the phone with kudos motorsports and was told that you need to reuse the top shim from the original ball joint. I bought some new shims from justjap and they seem to be way too big (16mm tapered to 20mm). 

Anyone experienced this problem with buying new shims? 

• 4 weeks later...

Well after 4 visits to 3 different mechanics, I have finally got some new ball joints installed in my 2005 PM35!

Finding the correct shim that will fit the new 14mm (350z/v35/m35) ball joints was an absolute nightmare. 
The lower control arm on the RWD models are slightly different to the AWD ones, in that where the top of the ball joint sits in to the arm, there is actually too meat for the bolt to come through. (does that make sense?)
The AWD 14mm size ball joints are the same height as the 16mm RWD ball joints, but it's the lower control arms which have different height thicknesses. So the 14mm bolt which fits in to an AWD control arm actually was too short for the RWD control arm, because the way the 16mm bolt and shim sit together actually ends up sitting through the control arm more proud. 

End result: could not find a replacement 16mm ball joint anywhere in the world, so we used (BY ACCIDENT) the 14mm ball joint and the 16mm shim from the original ball joints and it somehow by a miracle fits. The way the smaller joint sits with the larger shim doesn't seem to be a problem. It is sitting further down on the joint but is still maintaining a solid connection.