SAU Community

Cars you regret selling.

Cars you regret selling.

Hi all,

Thought i'd start a new topic about cars we all regret selling. It seems to be unavoidable in our lives that we can keep all our favourite car and know that I have sold a couple I really regret letting go of. What have you let go of that you really wish you hadn't?

I'll go first. There are two big regrets in my car history.

First is my old V10 M5. It was an awesome car, every bit as good and as fragile as the internet says it is. It was comfortable and quick and once you learned how to use it fun and easy to drive. And the sound, this car is probably number three on my all time car soundtracks (beaten only by the LFA and Carrera GT). This is the car that I judge all other by. It's possibly the reason I can't stand my XR6T.

The other is my XR5 Turbo (or Focus ST if you're anywhere else in the world).

This car was awesome fun to drive, super practical (except no cruise control) and was able to be seen from 1000 meters away. We called it safety orange because everyone saw you. It sounded good too with a lovely 5 cylinder growl. I sold it to a 21 year old who was already planning 20 inch rims and a giant stereo while on the test drive. I'd suggest it's been ruined by now... :(

Otherwise, all my cars have been traded in because I had ruined them... 

IMG_0411.JPG

photo.JPG

IMG_1970.JPG

IMG_1981.JPG

Oh man, I love both of those, but the M5 is the one that punches me in my funny spot. 

So, for me, I've had a lot of cars and I've loved most of them, but my two GTR's were just so special to me. The white 97 series 3 (with factory leather) is something that I think about almost daily. I miss that car beyond belief. No other car (or possession) before or since have I loved like that car.

3palm_beach_shoot_015.jpg

gallery_3_9_97688.jpg

Not sure I'd have any of the stickers these days, but this was 10+ years ago. I still have the genuine C10 GTR badge on a shelf at home. 

• Like 1

The photo is not of my car but I had a 1962 Austin Healey 3000 almost identical to this. An apprentice motor mechanic at the time I removed the engine and gearbox and completely reconditioned both. It was a beautiful car and capable of 120 mph but I was disappointed later to be left for dead by an RX2. Not a purist, if I had this car today I would fit an RB30 and suitable gearbox and some better suspension (and brakes)!

AH_3000_MK2.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Steve85 said:

That looks like a warm sunny Sunday cruiser to me.

Was my daily at the time - went right round the South island of NZ with my girlfriend and yes, best on a sunny day!

• Like 1

I regret selling my first Cefiro (and second!)

First one was a stock sports cruising (better trim, sunroof, pretty much top spec for year) factory manual.

cefiro1.jpg

Being my first import, and pretty young I did the usual drift mods, but looking back, it was so neat i should have left it alone... haha.

Sold it to fund a comp drift car (s14, which was good when it was running, which wasn't very often)

Second car I regret was another cefiro, this time a series two (sought after lights, grill, front bumper, better consol few other cool options) this one again was stock but had been converted from auto with a RB25 Gbox. Ended up selling that to fund a motor rebuild of the S14 drift car, when it blew up again! Dumb move.

cefirofront.jpg

I'm back in a cefiro now, but couldn't find one anywhere as neat (or standard) as the first two i had :( 

• Like 1

some nice cars here! really digging @Steve85 m5! i dont have much of a history of cars but my S15 Silvia was a car a not only regret selling but sort of regret modifying. Import model with factory fitted aero kit, sunroof and a number of nismo bits. Was such a great car, probably too much car for a 19 year old in my opinion. if i had this car today it would be standard and a nice daily.

0601100484-SydneyDragway-StreetMeet.jpg

Edited by WantGTR
photo added
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, CEF33Y said:

I regret selling my first Cefiro (and second!)

First one was a stock sports cruising (better trim, sunroof, pretty much top spec for year) factory manual.

cefiro1.jpg

Being my first import, and pretty young I did the usual drift mods, but looking back, it was so neat i should have left it alone... haha.

Sold it to fund a comp drift car (s14, which was good when it was running, which wasn't very often)

Second car I regret was another cefiro, this time a series two (sought after lights, grill, front bumper, better consol few other cool options) this one again was stock but had been converted from auto with a RB25 Gbox. Ended up selling that to fund a motor rebuild of the S14 drift car, when it blew up again! Dumb move.

cefirofront.jpg

I'm back in a cefiro now, but couldn't find one anywhere as neat (or standard) as the first two i had :( 

Cefiros are very popular over here but don't see many as clean as yours!

• Like 1

Cheers. Those pics are a while ago, ~10yrs ago, still, were fairly neat in the day. 

No plans to sell the current cefiro, its actually the longest I've ever owned a car, almost 6 years. Always said I'd only sell to get into a R32 gtr, once I got over the drift bug, but that never really happened, and I well and truly missed the ( sub $20k) R32 GTR boat, lol.

3 hours ago, KiwiRS4T said:

selling my first Cefiro

That white Cefiro looks mint. I can see why you might regret selling it. It always sucks when you assume you'll find another just as clean, only to find out nope, most others aren't looked after as well. 

14 minutes ago, CEF33Y said:

missed the ( sub $20k) R32 GTR boat, lol.

As for this, don't feel bad, I missed the sub 50k R33 boat... kidding, i just really wanted an LM Limited (and also 700hp). :1_grinning:

I sold the M5 because it cost too much to maintain. I manage put about 5k kms on it, in that time the bill (under an extended warranty) was about $20k. I was on first name basis with the Service manager. Ironically, the GTR is coming up on that number and I've not even put 1000 kms on it yet. Still some of the changes to the GTR have been "improvements", where on the M5 it was OEM parts. But still, i miss it...

• Like 2

Your LM is pretty awesome.

Interesting with the M5.

We are currently looking to replace the daily (around $30k budget), with a focus on safety and efficiency, We have found the Mercedes A class Is looking pretty good, (2014-2015) but I'm shit scared of anything euro, as all I've ever done is Nissan.

Also made the mistake of test driving the AMG A45. Haha First DSG I'd ever driven, wow, was impressed. Exhaust note in race mode bordered on offensive, in a good way. Would need to sell all the toys to get into one though.

I've driven the A Class (I drove a MY15), it is a much better car than the 2 Series Active Tourer. In fact, i disliked the 2 series active tourer so much I wrote a letter to BMW about it (more buttons than a keyboard on the dash, no steering feel at all). I also drove a CLA 45 with the intention of buying one, then, surprise, child on the way! (i was going to trade the M5, but ended up selling it privately.

You'll find that some euro cars are expensive to maintain, while others are not.  We have a 530i wagon (2006) and it has been mint. Hasn't skipped a beat and has cost less to run in 2 years than my XR6T has in 1 year. Also once you have experienced BMW and Mercedes service departments it's very hard to go back to your average service department. 

@PranK might be able to help with running costs of a Euro.

Edited by Steve85
  • Like 1

Only car I regretted selling was my gtr, literally with in a week i felt sick about it and I even looked at buying another one but never committed to anything. Lucky for me I manage to fix my mistake and 3 years after selling it I was able to buy it back and have now had it for 10 years straight even after having a big offer made on it only a few weeks ago :D

• Like 2

1 minute ago, r32-25t said:

Only car I regretted selling was my gtr, literally with in a week i felt sick about it and I even looked at buying another one but never committed to anything. Lucky for me I manage to fix my mistake and 3 years after selling it I was able to buy it back and have now had it for 10 years straight even after having a big offer made on it only a few weeks ago

This story sounds very similar to a lot of other people here... :1_grinning:

What has surprised me most is how often people with GTRs are approached with straight up cash offers. I've never experienced anything like it before. 

• Like 1

i havent sold anything i would miss so far but I do miss my brothers 1995 Swift GTi, used to borrow it quite often and loved that little twin cam engine with 8k redline, the super slick gearshift, the light weight, nice seats, nice brakes, awesome driving position and just the general fun feeling

it was flimsy as though and i wouldnt want to crash it but still, a ton of fun

• Like 1

People are starting to realize if they don't get one now then they will never get one. I said the other day if I didn't already have mine, it would be one of those dream cars I'd never get to own

4 minutes ago, Steve85 said:

This story sounds very similar to a lot of other people here... 

What has surprised me most is how often people with GTRs are approached with straight up cash offers. I've never experienced anything like it before. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, junkie said:

1995 Swift GTi,

These things were straight up essence of the 90s in car form. (At least in my head).