SAU Community

Loading up a track car

Adz2332

Loading up a track car

i have a 33gtst i use as my track car (pic below)

The car trailer i have makes it hard to load up as the ramps are to short and the front lip of my car hits when loading...

Its not as easy to put longer ramps on due to the design of the car trailer and how they are stored.

I dont want to make the car higher etc and im sick of putting my shit bumper on to load up

any ideas....? would finding a pair of 20s and chucking on some cheap tyres with a huge tyre profile lift it enough to get it on? finding 20s for a skyline could be tough that fit over evo brembos also

Any other ideas!?

14753691_10157552023035231_852476422316146072_o.jpg

A lot of people I've seen just remove the front bar in this situation, using Dzus fasteners or similar to make it quick and easy.

Otherwise, could try carrying blocks of wood around to help at the start of the ramp.

I feel like 20's with high profile will certainly have massive clearance/rubbing issues

I've got timber for my driveway. You have to reinforce it where it is lowest, and shave the ends so they sit flush against the two ends but they work well. And cost a grand total of $14 and one hour.

I should add we also used them for loading and unloading my car onto a trailer. Exactly as described above.

the easiest way to improve both the angle of the ground to ramps and ramps to bed of the trailer (where sometimes zorst scrapes) is to raise the rear of the tow car on caravan leveller/ramps or similar.  I've seen the same trick with a jack under the towball but I think that puts a hell of a lot of weight on a jack...

And if that's not enough go the blocks of wood suggested above at the start of the ramp, you can even have them flat on the ground as long as they are lower than the distance of splitter to ground on the car.

And if you can work out how to do it, long ramps are the real answer.  About twice what a normal trailer allows for is lovely.

• Like 2

As mentioned above by Duncan get some car ramps and go up them with the back wheels of the tow car. It will dip the trailer down lower. I've seen Adam LZ use this method to load his drift car.

My car has a splitter on it and removing and re-attaching is a pain, I made 2 stage ramps with some handles from pine sleepers. They just sit on the trailer behind/in front of the car and are held on with tie downs. 

Ghetto as but works and was cheap. 

I could only find these 2 photos quickly and added one of the Silvia to show the splitter height. GTR clears it too. 

The length was determined by how long needed to hit wheel before splitter edge hits timber. 

I also have some of those little plastic Cusco ones that allow you to get just enough height to get a jack under it which is enough for people. 

10940633_10153529480094838_5058965375245851535_n.jpg

13669713_10154973157104838_7629420797594087401_n.jpg

FB_IMG_1499575557860.jpg

• Like 1

I'd like to make a V2 that's lighter or I did consider running a drill through them to take core sections out but was worried about them cracking and splitting. 

I am not a great builder/fabricator and have limited power tools so this was "easy" for me to do. 

I've seen layers of ply screwerd together and then cut at one angle so there's no "steps" like mine. Would could be a better idea?

I have the same problem. I use the car ramp approach too. Back the rear of the truck onto the ramps to dip the trailer then a small plank that sits under the trailer ramps that the front wheels lift up on before the main ramp to help the nose clear.