SAU Community

Brendons M35 build

Sack87

2 hours ago, Ben C34 said:

Well that sucks,.... Head gasket or worse?

Number 6 rings from what I can gather so far. Spewing oil out the catch can too

Sorry to hear Brendan. Good luck dude. If you need a decent low k motor there is one up at the moment that I was thinking of buying but your needs are greater... Stagea WA page on Facebook about a week ago.

23 minutes ago, andynogo said:

Sorry to hear Brendan. Good luck dude. If you need a decent low k motor there is one up at the moment that I was thinking of buying but your needs are greater... Stagea WA page on Facebook about a week ago.

I should be alright. I drove it back home from the plex so hopefully I can just gone and re ring it. I still have the original motor here too so worst case I just build up another short block.

On 4/28/2019 at 5:13 PM, andynogo said:

Hi Brandon, any updates or are you taking a break from it for a while? (That's what I do when this happens to me!)

It's up on jacks and I've almost got the rad support off. Just plodding along with it when I feel like, no motivation haha

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, andynogo said:

Oh. Not good. Is that bits of bearing and chocolate thickshake there?

I'm pretty sure it's piston and the grey paste is cylinder lining or rings

6 hours ago, Ben C34 said:

Might have missed it, but what is the ecu situation in the car?

Itsrom flash tune, tuned for 18psi. Saw a peak reading of 18.7 on boost controller so it's most likely leaned out over the quarter mile. 

Got one head off to look at number 6. It's definitely gone lean, you can just see some detonation on the crown of the piston and at the very top of the bore. Then it's just scraped away at the bore and likely the piston skirt. 

I might be able to plate hone it out to the limit but I think it may have been pretty close when I originally honed it.

IMG_20190515_135143.jpg

IMG_20190515_135200.jpg

Edited by Sack87

Eww. Looks like the rings have picked up bits of the piston edge as its burnt away there... The bore might clean up but that piston is fubar... Fingers crossed for the bore! 

I wouldn't have thought it would lean out that badly at 18psi... What fuel pump do you have? I only ask as I recently received a genuine Walbro from a verified seller... It was a fake. Fine for an excel but not for a thirsty birch like our Stageas! Looked very close but had the cheap plastic vanes instead of the metal pump gears.

Stock pump still. Christian asked me what pump I was running when I was looking at his flash tune at the time, but it seems we missed out relaying that info to each other.

Note to self, stock pump is no good for 18psi.

49 minutes ago, Ben C34 said:

And a proper tune?

Yeah, but trying to find someone who will tune anything but a Haltech over here is difficult