SAU Community

RB26 ECU questions

RB26 ECU questions

I have an RB26 which was assembled with technology current at the time when Noah was a boy.

It runs the following (On petrol because I cannot get E85 within 100 miles of home)

Bang up to the minute Power FC ECU.

Sard 700cc injectors.

Z32 AFM's.

Blitz dual solenoid boost controllers (Which actually works pretty well)

Various cams (256 inlet, 252 exhaust), turbos (-5's), cam gears and other things.

The car runs 20lb and makes an amount of powahs that can only be described as insufficient. 

I have a thought that an ECU upgrade (not so much for the powah but to make the thing drive nicer, idle, etc etc and to be able to hook it into my data logger) may be in order and a Link G4 is on the list of likely options.

Are the injectors ok as I cant work out the impedence etc references and reconcile them with the ballast resistor blather RB20 types go on with.  Do I need to replace and/or fit anything to the injectors to work with the ECU?

Of the options available from Link are they worth the money?

Can anyone offer commentary on how they found the tuning experience/results with the ECU?

Link are not bad and there are plenty of other options on the market that are just as easy - Adaptronic and Haltec would be others to look into but really it comes down to who is tuning it and what they are comfortable with. Even having a top of the range Autronic / Motec unit will get poor results if your chosen tuner is not at home on them. Ditching the AFM's (put in gutted VL units if stock appearance is important) is something that could be worthwhile in the long run depending on your targets and future goals.

Replacing the injectors may end up being worth the cash as I have seen a decent set of ID's or similar make a very drivable car out of previous pig(s) so it can be worth the $$ to replace them.

All up it comes down to how much you want to spend and how much power you are aiming to make.

Edited by baron_von_bootsector
SAU automagically replaces "cops" with cops???
  • Like 1

Yuh, Sard 700cc are dinosaur grade tech and modern Bosch based (or similar) injectors will work much nicer.  Impedance choice is somewhat easy.  Just use high impedance injectors and remove any resistor box that may be between the ECU and the injector loom.

The PowerFC really is capable of running your engine well enough if it is tuned properly.  Both in terms of outright power and road manners.  Sure, newer ECUs with more blah-de-blah inside will do an even better job, but you are fairly well into the area of diminishing returns with respect to how big those improvements are.  I wouldn't replace the ECU unless a decent tuner tells you that it simply isn't capable of giving you some function that you're after, or simply can't give you the quality result you're after.  That last point should refer you back to my previous sentence about diminishing returns.  It is unlikely that a tuner who knows how to set it up properly would tell you that unless they wanted to sell you another ECU!

Yeah I don't really want to get into the tuna thing.  Perth is a hopeless case when it comes to such discussions and the nonsense that gets talked about them does my head in (EG He is brilliant but doesn't answer his phone, only works for friends of friends, etc etc etc).

Anyway the problem with the current setup broadly comes down to niceness, logging and the following on every full noise gear change.

0H5A7166 2 flamage.jpg

This sort of thing for injectors?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/fit-Nissan-Skyline-rb26dett-r33-r34-r32-Bosch-750cc-fuel-injectors-GTR-turbo-/201948838193?hash=item2f0516b931:g:D2IAAOSwB09YMPwG

Or is there somewhere else recommended?

Or do you/can you use an RB20 harness (My existing one is obviously pretty old and may not enjoy being messed with)

Edited by djr81

Yeah I don't really want to get into the tuna thing.  Perth is a hopeless case when it comes to such discussions and the nonsense that gets talked about them does my head in (EG He is brilliant but doesn't answer his phone, only works for friends of friends, etc etc etc).
Anyway the problem with the current setup broadly comes down to niceness, logging and the following on every full noise gear change.

59684f232fe3c_0H5A71662flamage.jpg.ec416bd256b815ba998e61bc736a7c61.jpg

I see no issues with this picture. Sorry I can't be of any more assistance.

3 hours ago, djr81 said:

This sort of thing for injectors?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/fit-Nissan-Skyline-rb26dett-r33-r34-r32-Bosch-750cc-fuel-injectors-GTR-turbo-/201948838193?hash=item2f0516b931:g:D2IAAOSwB09YMPwG

Or is there somewhere else recommended?

Or do you/can you use an RB20 harness (My existing one is obviously pretty old and may not enjoy being messed with)

Yup, something like that.  But lookup Scotty from on here (Scotty's customs) to support a local.

Let's put it this way.  The RB20 and the RB26 do not use the same injector harness.  The RB20 ran high impedance injectors.  The RB26 ran low.  So the 26 had the resistor pack.  But the presence of the resistor pack tells you that the 26 ECU expects to see high impedance injectors.....the same as all the other Nissan ECUs of the time.  The difference between the 26 and 20 ECUs was actually bugger all.  More or less the same thing, just with the extra bits for 2x AFMs and such.

So PowerFCs are also the same.  They expect high impedance injectors.  Put high impedance injectors into the 26's fuel rail and you have to bypass the resistor box.  You can buy patch harnesses that replace the resistor easily enough.

There is no substitute for a decent tuner. People have made huge power with PFC, successfully dragged and circuit raced with them.  Sure if you were buying an ECU today there would be many better but a good tuner can get good results with a PFC - 500hp should be a piece of cake. Of course that assumes that everything is installed correctly. And you can get datalogit for PFC.